Search for all posts by this user
I cannot for the life life of me (well, maybe then...) figure out just how the "Search for all posts by this user" feature organizes the results... All I know is that it doesn't organize it the way I would like (post date).
Obi2Kenobi,Feb 5 2004, 06:25 PM Wrote:I cannot for the life life of me (well, maybe then...) figure out just how the "Search for all posts by this user" feature organizes the results... All I know is that it doesn't organize it the way I would like (post date).
I was wondering this myself. The best thing I could come up with is that it sorts by the thread that was updated most recently. So regardless of when you posted in the thread itself, it's the time of the last post that matters.

By the way, did you change your name after the patch was released? I noticed it just now. :)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
My leet powers revealed!
You can perform this search manually (rather than hitting the link in the profile) with the following settings:

Search:
  • Leave the Keywords field blank
    <>
  • In the 'Filter by Member Name' field, enter the user's name, and check 'Match Exact Name' and 'Search with Username alone'
    <>
  • Specify your sorting and/or date criteria<>
    [st]
    Voila. A little more work, but gets you closer to what you want. The default search order for "find all posts by this member" lists the posts by descending order of the thread's last post, not by descending order of the user's posts themselves. The other search options do the same thing. AFAIK there's no way to do a search and order them by actual posting date - just by the date of last modification to the thread. This is a major oversight in the design, if you ask me - even in the later versions of IBF (up to 1.3) you can't sort by actual post date, even in the "list as individual posts" method of displaying the results.

So, the long and the short of it is that, without Yet Another Modification ™, you can't sort a user's posts by post date - the best you can get is by last-modification-date of the thread they appear in.