I haven't seen the SOJ counter in a while...
Only if his CE has a higher radius, but only does a lot less damage than it normally does.
HUZZAH! I mean, uh, yay -- I'm very excited. I just got my first Annihlus Charm!

I was playing with my two computers; one was a high level sorceress and one was my lower level hammerdin (I'm building him for MF runs; see the Gradual Reduction in MF Effectiveness thread). I cleared out the stony field and decided to take a break.

I did a full clear, making sure that I wouldn't die if I walked away from the computer.

I did my anti-idle trick in the stony field. In one of the corrals, the hammerdin did his little dance, for a good hour or so. My sorceress was dancing around a piece of rock the whole time as well.

The SOJ counter kept rollin'. So I let them keep dancing. I decided I wanted to play a different character, so I went for my Avenger. He cleared out dark wood, black marsh... I decided to take another break, so I let HIM do a dance in the stony field. The counter kept rollin'...

I come back from my break to check the message log, and lo and behold, Diablo Walks the Earth.

The two stopped dancing. I grabbed my old hammerdin (the high level one, not the low level one) and re-equipped him with the best items from my sorceress and new hammerdin.

I chose to spawn him at Eldritch to see if maybe I could cheese my way to an Annihlus. Didn't work... I lured DXP Pro to Shenk and he didn't die. Shenky died at the stairs, and DXP Pro was standing on them. The ice bolts and what not seemed to have no effect, unless they just missed him. I don't think so, though, probably a server side patch to fix that particular piece of cheese...

Anyway, I hammered away at him, with no success. His regen beat my 4k blessed hammer. So, I went to town, bought a flamberge of vileness, and charged him until I saw that 1/4 second chill effect show up on him. Switched back to hammers, sucked back 15 full rejuvination potions, and he died. I am now the proud owner of a 12 all attributes, 11 to all resists, 8 exp gained Annihlus charm.

Some observations:

1. The prevent Monster Heal from the flamberge I bought wore off at one point. I believe it was when I travelled between acts and returned to DXP Pro. As soon as my first Blessed Hammer hit him, he started regenerating again.
2. Blessed Hammer is very cheesy and overpowered.
3. DXP Pro showed up when both of my anti-idling characters were in the field (not in town).
4. This game was burned in and at least 1 quest was done (I did Blood Raven before he showed up).
5. Static field does practically nothing to DXP Pro.

I had my doubts about beating him when I saw that regen rate, but in the end, perseverance paid off.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
My ladder assassin kicked the clone entirely by herself this morning, in a three player basin game. This was softcore, but no deaths. Unlike last time.

My non-ladder fanatic zealot can easily dispatch the clone with no PMH, but the assassin was unable to do so. She seemed fine (more or less) until venom wore off, but then the clone regenerated faster than she could damage it.

She had never used anything but claws in her career, but to defeat the clone she did a shameful thing: she borrowed her brother druid's kingslayer phase blade and went in with that! And she thought no one would know! Shadow helpfully cursed the clone, and we used but a couple potions. Sadly we could not save poor Wulf, the hireling, but he died with honor...crescent moon it was actually.

Sapphy adds that shadows are quite sexy when they are wearing sacred armor.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
The soj messages you see are always the result of someone, somewhere, selling an soj. It probably wasnt you, but it could have been ... there is no mistake, someone sold it on the off chance that it would spawn diablo clone so that he could kill and get himself an annihilus charm.

It seems that I need to help out with debunking a serious number of myths and plain silly techniques that I've seen in this single post here in LL, and first off, I shall start with several idle tricks ...

OC trick: (outer cloister waypoint)

Get outer cloister waypoint from a friend, clear outer cloister waypoint (or have it cleared for you)

Go to the main entry door to the main section of the outer cloister (the huge room with the waypoint)

Make sure the door is closed ... stand against the wall to the right of the door, and click on the door ONE time. If you are stuck running, you did it right, and need to do nothing else... game will stay active till the server crashes the game or your computer glitches and you lose connection (personal record, 28.4 hours)
This particular trick is useful for mules, since it takes place in just act 1 and can be done in normal as well as hell difficulty (to wait for clone to walk)

Stash trick: (in act 5 town)

Go to the small platform just over the stash .. with the 2 small sets of stairs leading up to it ...
first, center yourself directly above the stash, and then move about 2 steps left... from there, click the stash ONE time and you should be stuck running. If you run down the steps to the stash, go back up, and move a little in the opposite direction that you ran, and try again. This is quite useful for waiting out the diablo clone in a hell game, as you do not have to idle out of town and risk being killed.

Now, for the diablo clone ... there are servers on every realm that host games of diablo2 lod version 1.10 ... in softcore, hardcore, ladder and non-ladder...
ANY TIME AN SOJ IS SOLD ON A SERVER EVERY GAME ON THAT SERVER GETS THE MESSAGE

D Clone will only show up in Hell games ... you get the message saying that "Diablo walks the earth" and the screen darkens and shakes.

You see the message in normal and nightmare games, but the clone does not appear in those games.

There were several bugs that allowed you to easily kill the diablo clone, one of which involved Shenk (kill shenk, everything near him dies ....) most of these have been patched server-side... they no longer work (as of about 4 months ago, I believe).

Each realm has game servers from .30 to .90, and .125 to .195 ... that's 130 servers that each have quite a large number of games running ...

If you make a non-ladder game on server .37, and sell .... about 70 to 120 sojs is the average ... you will most likely walk the diablo clone, but you need to have friends in a hell game ON THAT SAME SERVER to tell you when you stop selling sojs. Havin friends in server .137 does not work, and neither does .36 ... close is like horseshoes and hand grenades .. you throw both, but only one goes boom.

Prevent monster heal is a very useful thing to have vs the clone, as he regenerates well over 100 hp per second. But, if you leave the monster's line of sight, his regeneration will kick back in fairly quickly. It is quite possible to kill the clone WITHOUT PMH, but it is very difficult for most people .... 14k blizzard takes about 2 minutes to kill him without PMH. A maxed CS javazon, on the other hand .... with excellent gear and setup for tanking the clone, can take him down in TWENTY-TWO SECONDS OR LESS... which fairly beats out a 8k hammerdin at an average of 30 seconds....

uhh... what else ....

Well, if you have any further questions on the clone, just ask away :P

Btw, I've solo killed or helped to kill 86 diablo clones, 34 of the annis passed through my hands ... I own 7, I gave the rest away. Do not ask me for free annis ... they go to my friends who need them and have never seen the clone in their entire time on bnet, nor will they ever, in most likelihood...

Skie_M
Stormbaron of Marduke Empire
You might want to mention how to determine which server you are on, for the sake of those who don't know.

Either Alt-Tab to the desktop (full screen), or just run D2X in a window.
Go to a command prompt (in Win2K/XP, Run->Cmd; in Win9X, Run->command)
In the command prompt, enter netstat -n
In the list that comes up, find the address that ends with 4000. The last number in the IP portion of that will be your server number.
For example, 63.241.83.180.4000 will show that you are on server number 180.

I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been much mention of this here. I only found the information recently, but apparently it has been common knowledge at least since January 2004.

There is an almost comprehensible post regarding this at DiabloWorld (/me spits!) linkage http://www.diabloworld.com/forums/showthre...ead.php?t=68811 (/me spits!)

-rcv-
17/14/10
19/18/8
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I got the message "1107 sojs sold to merchants" immediately followed by "1108 sojs sold to merchants." I've got my sorceress running circles in act 5, and I'll wait till August if needbe to see if he appears. My question: Does he spawn at a specific number, such as 1500 or 10.000, or is it a random number?

edit: say he *does* appear. Where should I make him spawn?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
First, I should warn you that sometimes the counter will be going, but not hit whatever the magic number is today.

Second, I don't know what the magic number is.

Third, you are in a Hell game, right? The counter will show in other games, but he only spawns in Hell games.

Fourth, spawn him in an area where you feel confident about killing the monsters that live there normally, so one doesn't nail you while you focus on the DClone. The only times I have faced him, we spawned him in the Cold Plains in place of Bishibosh. This gave us some needed running room. YMMV

Good Luck :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Yes, I'm playing in a hell game.

If I spawn him in the 3rd durance, I could kill on the moat, no?

Thanks, but it doesn't look like he'll show. It's been several minutes since the two messages appeared, and a friend of mine wants to play, so I need to abandon the game. I'll post the gamename and password if I decide to leave the game, just in case someone wants to hold the game until he arrives.
Game: ax10 // 1
Realm: European
For those of you who may want a shot ;)