should the message editor allow this?
Please take a look at this thread for the question I have about the message editor.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hmm, it would be pretty tough to implement that (forcing no edits to quoted text). Since only admins can edit posts, though, the evidence exists that you would have misquoted someone. You can take ANY text and put QUOTE tags on it to make it look like it is a quote of someone, after all. Personally, I like being able to edit the quotation, so that you're not forced to quote someone's entire post.

I'll add this to the list of things that, if implemented properly in a future version of IPB, will warrant shelling out the bucks and going through the hassle of upgrading (since there's a lot of customization done on this board here).

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
We usually do this when joking on other forums with each other. Selective editing is fun ;-)

That being said, the only way anyone won't know you changed it is if the original poster removes the text and yours is left. I don't particularly think it's something to worry about.
I don't think it would be at all hard to implement in the code. If the chunk of text quoted doesn't exist, as quoted in the original, then it is an invalid quote. Keep in mind that I am talking about the direct quotes that get attributed to the author, not quotes using the regular quote tag. I agree that regular quotes need to be editable. This allows quotes from other sources as well. Because threads will often cover multiple pages, quotes from the initial message might appear pages later and misquotes can confuse issues for people picking up only the new posts at the end. As witnessed here many times, discussions can get heated (at least as heated as a forum environment can get) and an altered quote could easily incense someone quick to flame. I do agree that it isn't a big deal but it surprised me that you could do it. For me, this would be an item that should be added to the programmer's to do list but not worth calling it a major upgrade.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."