MF % ranges? Myth?
I searched the forums and found nothing on this so I deemed it safe to ask.

I was told on Bnet the other day that I had too much mf. 333% on D2C. This person was trying to tell me that The mf I had on ensured me mostly drops in the "Set Range". He had on 125% MF, which was "perfect MF" and ensured more soj's to drop.

Now, I am not naive and I laughed when I was told me this as it sounds silly, but it got me thinking. Albeit slowly.

I am not sure what to make of this information I got from a person on bnet. At first I didn't believe it but then I thought...this game is full of quirky things, so anything is possible.

I thought that I would ask you folks as if you don't know I am sure that no one does.

So to summerize my questions are this.

Are there specific mf percentages directly tied to the item type to drop more frequently?

Is this a Myth?

Thank you for taking time out to read this.
Most likely a myth.

What magic find does is altering the chances of normal/magical/rare/set/elite items.

Treasure Class and item type are NOT affected by MF.

If the game drops an item that might be normal/magical/rare/set/elite, such as a weapon for example, MF is taken into consideration altering the probabilities for all.

If the item can only be one quality (like magic for a charm, or normal for a rune) MF is completely irrelevant.

So the only thing Magic Find does for you is increasing the chance of more rare/set/unique items.
125% being "perfect MF" is nonsense. The more MF you have, the more likely unique/rares/sets/magical items will drop instead of normal items, end of story. More MF is always better, as long as you aren't sacrificing killing speed.

If you are looking for particular items, then its all about what type and level of monster you are killing. Different monster types will only drop certain items. If you want an SOJ, and you are wiping out hordes of monsters that never drop rings, you're never going to get a SOJ off of them. Also, the monsters must be of high enough level to drop the item you want. Finally, if you want to be really picky, monsters can actually to be 'too high' in levels. That is to say SOJ's are not the highest level unique ring out there. So if you are killing monsters that are higher in level than SOJ's and some other unique rings, then if you do get a unique ring drop, it may randomly choose the higher ring instead of the SOJ. Plus, presumably it's taking you longer to kill the higher level monster than it would the lower level one. Your best bet is to find all the monster types/levels that can drop unique rings, from that list, figure out which ones you can get to/kill the fastest, and then focus on them.

It should go without saying you want to solo in 4-6 player games, again finding a balance between an increase in number of drops vs. how fast you can kill them.

There are numerious calculators around which can give you some ideas about where to focus your efforts. Try this one: http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropca...ult&window=true

Cheers!
Ok great thank you very much for shedding some light on this you two.

I suspected as much but thought i'd better check with the authorities on the subject.

Great link also it is in my bookmarks now. Thanks again.
A while back, over two years ago, version 1.03 or 1.04, there was a MF break point at 251% that was semi significant, since the next break point was much % higher. This was part of the diminishing returns set up of MF in Classic.

I do not know how that changed in subsequent patches, but if you look on the archived Lounge, the old one, you may, after quite a bit of looking, find that thread in question.

Not sure if it survived all of the moves, and my bookmarks to such threads died well over a year ago.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The 150%-151% thing

/edit: Fixed numbers.
OK, now look at the date on that article. Yes, that used to be true, and undoubtedly the source of many erroneous rumors like this one. But that was acknowledged as a bug and fixed years ago.
OK, now look at the date on that article. Yes, that used to be true, and undoubtedly the source of many erroneous rumors like this one. But that was acknowledged as a bug and fixed years ago.
Quote: A while back, over two years ago, version 1.03 or 1.04, there was a MF break point at 251% that was semi significant, since the next break point was much % higher. This was part of the diminishing returns set up of MF in Classic.

I was pointing out where it was that might have been the source of some erroneous information. And to show that Blizzard has indeed had it at one point in time, but it was "fixed".
Yes, I remember that from way back. That was a long time ago. Gambling SOJ's with manald and nagel anyone?

Anyways, thanks again for all the effort that was put forth on my behalf. I appreciate it.

Ciao.