Fun with Rangers
Ranger is generally Fanticism + High Physical Damage Bow while using a Holy Freeze Merc.

Since I was playing a Holy Shock Paladin in Hardcore I just decided to strap on a bow for those situations that it is just too dangerous to melee but I haven't invested any points into auras other than Holy Shock and Lightning Resistance.

Here I am peleting away with Holy Shock aura on and I see that my Lightning Damage is being transfered along the arrow. Intrigued by this, I switch to Holy Freeze, and get the same result. I switch to Holy Fire, and get the same thing. Now, I haven't done extensive testing but I didn't notice an significant decline in the damage delt melee vs missile usually produces (ie. 1/2 damage on LCS* when using Enchant).

Has anyone tested this before? Is the damage reduced when using missile attack? Is the damage bugged?

One thing is for sure, I am looking forward to not having to bother investing in Fanaticism to get high damage while using a ranged weapon, as for speed. According to Diablo2.de while using any of the -10 bows (Hunter or Composite and/or Exceptional/Elite of same) with 89% IAS you can happily pelt away at 9fpa. For just three Shael Runes + two Pieces Sigon's (Gage + other) you can easily break 90% IAS. Even though I will not be leeching a tinkers darn, it doesn't matter as I am not getting attacked either; Ye Ol' Meat shield is taking all the damage.
[Image: ThiefLogo.jpg]

"What cannot kill you, isn't worth fighting." - Anon.
Chameleon, The Lost Thief *Fades away into the darkness*
The damage isn't reduced. Enchant damage isn't reduced either, for that matter; it's just that +% skill damage (such as that from fireghtning mastery) doesn't affect equipment/enchant-based elemental damage on ranged attacks.

So yes, you can use a bow to transfer the full holy shock/freeze/fire damage to a ranged attack.
Hi

What you noticed is a ShockRanger :D , really fun. Try using him with an Act 2 nm merc with might aura and equipped with the runeword "Doom", except for Dia and Lister you don't have to fear anybody.

good hunting
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
I see, dual aura merc, that is just not fair :D for the monsters anyways but alas, the runes required are beyond my playing time. I will have to sufice with a Holy Freeze Merc (NM Act 2 Def) and a decent Polearm (ie. Honor something)

If you are playing in hardcore, why not try a knife thrower instead, and get the benefit of a shield to go with it.

Additionally, with a balanced knife and others of that class you only need 63 IAS to fire them at 9 frames per attack.

I have two growing at the moment (in softcore), both of whom are going the Holy Shock/Holy Freeze route. I joke that they are my next generation of Rangers - they are Rangers with Resists ! B)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:If you are playing in hardcore, why not try a knife thrower instead, and get the benefit of a shield to go with it.
I have never been fawned of throwers, as the stack size requires too many frequent (and generally un-necessary) trips back to town.

But having resistance would be nice B) .

*waves to the Thief*

I don't know where you are in terms of HC chars, but I admit to twinking my young Throwers with knives purchased in Hell that have reasonable lightning damage on them. (I didn't care whether they had physical damage, so it was easy to shop for blue balanced knives with high lightning damage.)

So I am finding it fairly straightforward to keep two or three extra sets of knives in my inventory. They take up about the same amount of space as arrows would, so I am at no extra disadvantage for space, and can keep on fighting until I would normally would want to hit town to sell off drops, get potions, etc.

If I run into any nasty results from going this route, I will let you know, but so far, the best thing has been that Diablo's LBOD was not a problem. :D
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

This is probably a bit off topic, but oh well! :P

Me and some friends were playing late last night, finishing up Normal Act 3, and all the sudden this guy came in and asked to help out. Sure, why not? We told him we were doing Act 3, and we partied up. When he got to our location, we had no idea what we were looking at. Then it dawned on me: it's a pally with a bow :blink: ! And man did he ever put my bowie's damage output to shame! He was of comparable levels to the rest of our party (2-3 higher, IIRC), but he just tore through everything that we had previously spent lots of time wearing down. It was alot of fun to watch (and occasionally help out, as necessary, with decoys and whatnot).

Anyway, I think I know what my next build is going to be! :lol:
Couldn't you save up and stick hand of justice in a bow? and then use holy shock, and have a holy freeze merc?
tri-elemental + physical damage.

-Bob