Golem Stats after Staff change
Hello,

I'm quite sure this has not been asked a gazillion times already; however, please bear with a noob if this is not the case.

I am playing - amongst others - a level 22 Necromancer. I mainly use two staffs: One that gives 2 points to Golem Mastery and 1 point on Blood Golem, and another one that gives 3 points to Bone Spear and 2 Points to Iron Maiden. It is obvious that I use the first staff for Golem creation and the second one for actual monster cleansing purposes after creating the Golem.

Now, since the Golem stats are not available during play, I always have this nagging suspicion that the formidable stats that my Golem enjoys after creation are diminished to their raw values (i.e. the ones the Golem would have if I created him without the skill boost from staff one) after I switch to the second staff; after all, the number of skeletons you can maintain is also dynamically updated once you change from a +3 to raise skeleton staff to another one (i.e. the surplus skeletons just drop... well, undead).

Has anyone found a way to test this, or, even better, an official source of information on this?

Thanks in advance,

Rijnswand.
all summons should keep their stats after summoning. the only thing that changes when you change your level in a summon skill is the number of summons you can have active.
If you have a weapon that gives you +x to golem and you summon it when you swap weapons and the weapon on the switch does not have +x to golem then the golem will lose levels.
Only the sorceress can do this. The golem and all summoned creatures for the necro keep the +x from the weapon that you have in front and not the one that you have in the swap position.

If this what you want to know i know for sure because i Just tested it.
AKA Coldheart at the Basin.<!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->
Hello and thanks for your answers;

Just out of sheer curiosity: How did you test this? I could imagine using a Diablo2-Installation on my Laptop for testing purposes (with different leveled characters), but i would not know how to assess the Golem's attributes after creation. Is there any hidden Menu I did not find yet like for the mercenaries?

Bye,
Rijnswand.
the only way to test it is to open your skill tree and while your are looking at the summoning spells try to press the "w" button which is the "swap weapons" button. The skills that you earn from your +skills weapon will have been lost if You swap weapons.
Or try to summon a golem with your +skill weapon and then put your mouse at the buttom right of your screen where it shows your current skill then swap weapons to the one that doesn't give you a +skill. The skills that the other weapon gave you will not be there. All the golem atributtes are either at the golem mastery or at the certain golem skill.

If i get it right then this should help you understand it.
Let me know.
Bye
Iceman
Eh.

That test proves nothing. It's obvious that, if you're no longer wearing the +skills gear, you'll no longer have the +skills. The question, however, is whether or not the golem you've already summoned will still have the higher stats. You can't see this just by looking at the skill tree. You'd have to actually empirically test what level your golem is. Personally, I'm strongly inclined to believe that they will retain their stats from when they were summoned.
As Aello mentioned, the stats of an allready summoned monster (whatever it happenes to be, not just golems) will keep all their stats. That is, the game won't go over and respawn (or recalc all stats) if your skill level change (regardless of if you remove an equiped item, add a new equiped item or otherwise get a skill level increase (for example allocating new skill point) or lose skill levels (in whatever way one can do that, if at all). The only thing that happenes is that the game is keeping track of how MANY summoned monsters of each type you can have. It will recalculate that as soon as your skill levels changes (so you can summon more) or remove excessive ones if your skill level lowers. That is it.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Ok. Until now I was under the impression that this actually change when your skills become less even if you have summoned it before, with more skill levels. But as it proved I was wrong.
Sorry guys, my mistake.

Iceman
OK, thanks again for all your posts.

It must be my fault then when my Golem lasts about 20 seconds against those pesky council members.... :huh:

But seriously, there's a lot of implication in this - after all, why buy a wand that only gives +3 on Golem Mastery when you'll be needing different wands afterwards...

Bye,

Rijnswand
Indeed, just 3 to Golem Mastery, would be ... sub-optimal ;) ... but not useless. It would depend on the equipment on the other switch position.

But between a wand with 3GM and a perfect wand with +3 to Summoning Skills, +3 Summon Resists, +3 Golem Mastery, +3 to Golem of choice there are a lot of useful possible combinations. Paired with a similar Necro Head, your Golem will be a lot stronger.

Upto now, most of my Necros had +Bone Armor wand and head on weapon switch. At least for those, that are mainly using P&B Skills, and who get the least out of the +BA on switch, I will consider to invest 1 point into Clay Golem and equip them with golem buffing wand and head in the future.
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."