Looking for XP Help
OK, I am finally up and running, and am unable to copy the Music MPQ file from the Diablo II play disc to my HD. Just installed XP last night.

I get "cyclic redundancy error" or "MS-DOS error" or invalid MSDOS function.

Bah.

Am I a lone ranger on this, or is there a trick I need to know to get around this. Not having the Music MPQ on my HD makes the CD/DVD Rom have to work to hard and makes Duriel a pain in the arse.

Any suggestions?

While I am at it,
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Silly suggestion but have you tried updating the firmware of your cd/dvd drive?
Try the simple stuff 1st. Clean the CD and check for scratches... use a lense cleaner on your cd drive etc...
a55of rot13

539 tbh

Don't think cos i understand... i care
Don't think cos we're talkin... we're friends

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Last time I used a lens cleaner, it broke the drive. Aint doing that again.

The original game installed, but could not move music to D II directory. I then used a disc from a different version of the game, the old collector's edition, and it worked.

Now, having played for a while this AM, all of a sudden, when installing, the damn think keeps flashing to the desk top" I can't get to the char screen.

What a pain. The opening screens, Blizzard and Blizzard north run sorta OK, with bits of Desktop peering in (Not the way it usually happened under W 98 or even the first time I played this AM) and then every little note of music causes a "return to desktop shrink the window to minimize."

May select windowed mode, that could solve a few glitches.

XP: sure, worth the extra few bucks . . .
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 14 2004, 06:31 PM Wrote:Last time I used a lens cleaner, it broke the drive.  Aint doing that again.
Uhm, I've never heard of a lense cleaner trashing a drive in all my years in IT support, so it seems like its a rare incident. But it needs to be done on occasion dude (regardless of wether this is related to your problem or not). Dont let one cheap lense cleaner ruin your future lense cleanliness.. lol Get yaself a nice good quality lense cleaner disk and take the plunge :D
a55of rot13

539 tbh

Don't think cos i understand... i care
Don't think cos we're talkin... we're friends

*shavenlunatic - Europe