WinXP and 2nd copy of D2x v1.10 on bnet,
".........To run two characters on bnet on one WinXP PC at once without 3rd programs or hacks you can do the following...

Install D2 & LoD (skip this step if you already have done so). Make a subdir wintin the D2 directory (call it, for example: "firstCDKey"). Move the d2sfx.mpq and also the d2char.mpq files into that subdirectory. Now the time consuming part (which Blizzard could have made vastly easier)... uninstall D2 (this will leave the dir structure intact, along with your character saves). Now install D2 and then install LoD using the *other CD-Key copy* that you own (to the same directory that you just uninstalled it from).

You are now back to "normal" except that your main install is using the new CD-Key and you've also "wasted" 300Meg+ in the subdir I told you to make (as the two huge files you moved there contain your classic and expansion CD-Keys). Because you uninstalled you might have some preference option resetting to do, I'm not sure (it might remember some of it--I'm not sure because I did this painful procedure on my kid's PC--which I've not played much on since--to see if it worked, but I moved the resultant cdkey files to my main PC directly).

At this point, make a new user account on WinXP (if you don't have one already). One this account you need to make a program launch shortcut to D2 with one slight twist: the "starting directory" should point one level down, into the "firstCDKey" subdir. Now you can launch from this shortcut as this user and sign on to bnet using that cdkey, while launching the normal shortcut as another user thus connecting to bnet with your second cdkey......
"
[Crystalion's condensed post in the Workshop forum]

Just bought another set of D2/LoD cds and successfully installed both in 1 computer. I'm able to play but find having to continually switch between 2 user accounts on the same computer cumbersome. So now I'm only doing mule games and sometimes, wp exchanges. Unfortunately, my first goal was having the ability to rush peewee characters but the process doesn't allow for that kind of play.

I'm curious if the quoted statement means you can run 2 sessions via 1 user account, say, windowed mode side-by-side or do you still do the user switch ? Forgot to mention i didnt use this method, crystalion, but actually installed 2 sets and renamed them 1st key and 2nd key, then made shortcuts to both on 2 user accounts

I understand this is an old post but hope to get a response. Thanks all.
*bump* Sorry, but anyone have even an idea?
Well, I don't have XP, so I can't quite help you out.
reno666,Mar 15 2004, 07:59 PM Wrote:I'm curious if the quoted statement means you can run 2 sessions via 1 user account, say, windowed mode side-by-side or do you still do the user switch?
You cannot run two D2X sessions on the same login session ("desktop"), regardless of whether they're windowed or full-screen; you have to use User Switching to do that. The number of user accounts you use is irrelevant; using the "Run As..." feature of XP, I've tried to run two sessions on the same desktop, but under two different user accounts. Still doesn't work since the D2 executable somehow detects that there is a second copy already running.

However, all may not be lost: Depending on what you think is of such things, I believe that there was a single-byte patch to D2GFX.DLL which would permit multiple copies of D2 to run concurrently (I believe it was updated for 1.10, but my memory is very hazy). However, this almost certainly violates the Blizzard D2/Battle.Net ToS, so I would think very carefully before using it.
I use other trick in win 2000 and winme, with the dll in diabloii.net ( is in apage about muling in sinbgle player )

Install all the LOD in the normal directory with one cdkey. Rename the directory "diablo ii" for "dtwo" or something similar. Put the dll of the diabloii.net

Install all again with the other cd key.

Result: A dtwo directorio, and a diabloii directory= two differente keys installed.

A friend of mine tell me he use the trick with three copies. I cannot say if is true, have only two keys.

you can run two battle net chars in one machine =)