Getting a character from the realm
You know, I'm getting a bit tired of this "second round" of Diablo 2. I had quit after 1.09. I came back for 1.10 and have enjoyed myself immensly. If I do quit now, I'd still like to get a copy of my pride and joy characters; I put a lot of work into those badboys, and I wouldn't mind playing them in a few months when I get my nerve back. The problem is, in a few months, they won't exist on the realm.

Enter my problem; it'd be nice to get a copy of the character files that currently only exist on the realm. Anyone know of a program that might help with this? Back in 1.09 I tried to manually re-create my Paladin, but it was insanely time consuming. I used Jamella to recreate the items and character, but there was just too much crap. I should have re-created my high leech +1 paladin class-crafted ring. That was a beauty! But I digress...

Is this even possible? The character file is loaded on the client side at some point, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play the character. Anyway to get at my characters except for on the realm? Obviously, I'm not asking to crack the realm client/server architecture, but rather a way to just save what I've already been using (the character files).

Kinda sounds like I'm asking to hack Diablo 2, but not really; the ATMA program is doing something similar, except it's all offline. I'd like to do something that does not affect realm play at all.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Hi JustAGuy,

I'm a little curious here, so forgive me for asking this: The simplest method to keep your characters would be to access them from time to time. An inactive character is only deleted after 90 days of idleness, so if you access them, say, every two months, you will be fine.

I guess you're aware of this, so what is against this method?

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
For other reasons i am interested. I have three or four high paladins and MD barb in 1.09, and want to try some strategies; for a unknown reason with the non ladder account i have too much lag to make any test.
It's knid of a trophy thing. I spent so much time on my character, and I'd really just like to have a copy locally that I could bust out any ol' time I want. That would be a lot easier if say I quit Diablo II, then 6 months later decide to come back. I wouldn't have to actually remember to keep logging in every 90 days. I'd rather archive my work than have to keep prodding a character on some remote server to a game I might not play again for months (if at all). But if I did come back, it would be nice to have my old gear. When I quit last time, I made the mistake of not saving at least some of my characters (I was really proud of my Paladins) and therefore lost a very valuable item that can't be generated in-game anymore (the class crafted paladin ring).

I played on the realm for the cheat-free environment (relatively), and when I really got into it, I only played private games. So, playing on the realm became moot, since I was playing with close friends and we're not cheaters.

So, instead of worrying about uncontrollable lag (say like on a friday night), games crashing, PKers, or other things like that, if I just play TCP/IP, then we keep things non-battle.net dependant. That, and I can actually use the ATMA program and not have to manage 50 billion mules.

That's another thing; logging in every 90 days or so could be a real chore considering the number of accounts I have (not that many, but still a considerable amout: 9).
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I understand u, 12 in europe non ladder and 3 in east.