Diablo PSX Advice
OK, my PC has died and I cant afford the new parts I need to replace at the minute as I'm moving cities. I usually play D2LOT on my PC but as it's dead I dug out the old PlayStation, strangely the ONLY game I could find was Diablo (which I barely ever played)

Now I'm sure 99.9% of the people on here are PC Diablo players with updates and expansions etc. But I'm not and unfortunately this is the closest thing to a Diablo fix that I can get my hands on.

Never really played Diablo before, I've chosen a Warrior (seemed like a sensible newby choice), and I'm just looking for some tips on building my character.

Currently at approximately clvl16, I distributed my points up to now as such:

Str: 2
Dex: 2
Vit: 1
Mag: 0

I've got my lifesteal undead crown thing on my head and a sword in my hand, other than that I'm pretty clueless about the game.

Should I put any magic into my barb?
Am I distributing points correctly?
Do I need to keep talking to townsfolk to get quests or will they just activate when I hit the correct area?
Do higher class items only spawn in Hell (a-la-D2LOD)?

any other info you could give me would be great, I've read a few guides but none of them tell me anythig I dont really know, or feel I needed to know.

Please remember this is Playstation Diablo, no there are no updates or Mods on it.

Many thanks for your time :)
a55of rot13

539 tbh

Don't think cos i understand... i care
Don't think cos we're talkin... we're friends

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Hi there,

I just went to the store yesterday to get myself a copy of Diablo (God knows what became of the original one I bought way back in the day...). Nevermind, as I had looked forward to this for some time, I also read a bit about the game, and this is where it starts to get interesting for you, shavelunatic:

First of all, I'm assuming you're playing a warrior (you also wrote about a Barbarian). Barbarian exists in Hellfire (Expansion pack for D1) only, I don't know if there's one in the PSX version. Also, I'm playing on a PC, Version 1.09, so, sorry in advance if I tell you something wrong for the PSX! Anyway...

Much of what I tell you is from the Lounges D1 strategy page, so you can also take a look there. Bolty's High-Level Warrior Strategy Guide is excellent and links to Armin's guide, which covers pretty much of the low-level warrior stuff.

So... as for point distribution: I would pump Dex in the beginning and get it to 60(max) as soon as possible. Increase strength enough for wearing weapons and armor, some points into Vit AND... get magic up. My Warrior is Lvl 24 now and has 35 Magic withoug adders (found a few elixiers, though). Learn "Heal" early on, it blossoms later; I can heal about 6 times now from one mana ball... One potion instead of six in the inventory... pretty nice later on! Well, read the guide and you'll know as much as I do, basically...

As for quests, I'm not sure about the activating of them, sorry. Some depend on the area, I'm pretty sure (Halls of the Blind for example). Otherwise, I'm not sure, it's been some time and I started as a multiplayer char this time.

As for items, do you mean "Hell area" (Dungeon Level 13-16) or "Hell Difficulty)? You'll get better items in Hell Area (meaning magical abilities), but otherwise, pretty much everything is findable everywhere, since there are no Elite or Exceptional versions of weapons or armor in D1.

As for the rest, take a look at the guides, and happy demon hunting!

Take care,
Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Thanks for the info Lord Olf, but where is the D1 stategy page? I've hunted around the lounge and I couldn't find any Warrior guides.

Also, one other noobish question but how so you "learn" spells?

EDIT: Scartch that, I googled it :) (second question still stands though)
a55of rot13

539 tbh

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Hi,

you learn spells by finding and reading books. You can cast spells from scrolls, but you can learn them permanently from books. If you are Lvl 16 and haven't learned spells yet, I recommend doing some Lvl 1 to 2 runs (church) and at least learn "Heal".

For the Strategy Page: Lurker Lounge -> Diablo -> Strategy, you find it in the manu to the left (I think you probably googled that, but never mind).

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
You learn spells from books. If you right-click a book (e.g. "Book of Firebolt"), your level in that spell will increase by 1 (and the book will be destroyed, of course).
Books have a minimum magic requirement in D1. If the book appears red and you cannot read it, then you don't have enough magic to read it.
Books can be found in the dungeons or purchased from Adria. The maximum learnable spell level is 15.
Important spells for Warriors are:
Healing: saves potions. Get it as high as you can.
Firewall: a young Warrior's best friend. Knowing this spell is very helpful.
Stonecurse: turns tough monsters into a piece of cake. Not really important for Warriors, but still helpful in alot of situations.
Teleport: shortens long walks and allows fast repositioning in combat (and later: telekilling).

You should probably check out these links:
http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/warrior.txt

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/strateg...or-bolty1.shtml

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/strateg...ies-armin.shtml
Hi Moldran,

thanks for going into more detail than me... I was in a bit of a haste!

By the way: Would you happen to know if "Identify" is learnable in Multiplayer? I was just wondering...

Take care,
Lord_Olf
Thanks Moldran & Lord Old, consider my scalding myself for not learning heal. (I would have just RTFM but I lost it and I couldnt find it anywhere online to download as blizzard requested it be removed from sites.. bah)

I'll get on healing and I'll find out how easy it is to teleport on the playstation verison, although I feel it may be difficult and not as useful without a mouse.
a55of rot13

539 tbh

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Identify is not learnable in Diablo. It appears on scrolls only. It is learnable neither in Singleplayer nor in Multiplayer.
IIRC, it is learnable in Hellfire. Hellfire is an expansion pack for Diablo made by Sierra. It is not longer sold in stores, as far as I know. I don't know if it was released for PSX. Probably not.
"I don't know if it was released for PSX. Probably not."

Nope. But the PSX version got some of the unincluded monsters from the PC version that were shoved back for Hellfire.

Bastards.

Eh, I'd invest some points into Magic for a Warrior (Let's use the correct term now...). Heal is probably the best spell the Warrior will have access to, but from experience I've found that Firewall is a damned useful spell to have...

...Only targetting the danged spell on the PSX version is difficult :P sux2bu.

Pump dex. Dex, dex, dex all the way and when you max out, get more. Bung in as many str points as you need and you can pretty much forget about vit.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Mar 18 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:Pump dex.  Dex, dex, dex all the way and when you max out, get more.  Bung in as many str points as you need and you can pretty much forget about vit.
Forget about vit? :o is that wise? Or isn't having silly ammounts of hitpoints as important in D1 as it is in D2?
a55of rot13

539 tbh

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Forget about vit? is that wise? Or isn't having silly ammounts of hitpoints as important in D1 as it is in D2?

It's a bit different. You can get enough dexterity to block every melee attack, and/or enough AC to avoid around 85% of them. You can use terrain to shield ranged attackers and/or limit the number of melee attackers you face at one time. You can buy a limitless supply of healing potions which all work instantaneously. And the monsters' ability to stun you is not affected by your life total, only your clvl. If you try to wade into a pack of monsters with low AC and superhigh life, you will get stunlocked or blocklocked until you eventually die.

It's still very helpful to have a lot of life, but by no means is it the most crucial stat.
Vit is, by far and away, the least important stat in Diablo. Especially since healing from potions is nigh-on instantaneous, and a big red costs a mere 150 gold.

It's possible to go the entire game without allocating a single point in vit until all others are maxed out
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
It's possible to go the entire game without allocating a single point in vit until all others are maxed out

Of course, the same thing could be said about any of the other stats.... The hardest would probably be saving MAG for last with a sorcerer, but that's quite playable.

For a warrior, I'd typically get to 60 DEX (optionally inching MAG to 17 if I want to be a cheapskate and use a staff of healing), then 90 STR, then start putting everything into VIT. Of course in the single player game, when you get to that 90 STR the game might be over already.
Hi folks,

since this thread turned into a bit of a "noob questions" thread, I'll post my question here instead of creating another thread.

My question: I, like pretty much everyone else, leave my gold, backup equipment and reading glasses (items that increase Magic for reading books) in town when I venture into the labyrinth. Yesterday, I went down to fight Diablo on Lvl 16, but then stopped, because:
MINOR Spoiler ahead...

I remember from the "Old Days" that there is a finishing film. After that, does the game close or will it stay up so that I can go up and recollect my stuff lying in town. Or will it close, so that all the items I don't have in inventory be lost?

I just can't recall how it worked... and I really want to get my first dot! Also, my char is multiplayer, forgot to mention that, but it might have an effect.

Thanks in advance,

Lord_Olf
Lord_Olf,Mar 19 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I remember from the "Old Days" that there is a finishing film. After that, does the game close or will it stay up so that I can go up and recollect my stuff lying in town. Or will it close, so that all the items I don't have in inventory be lost?

I just can't recall how it worked... and I really want to get my first dot! Also, my char is multiplayer, forgot to mention that, but it might have an effect.
Not a spoiler at all, but rather an excellent warning. I don't recall how it works for single player but everyone should graduate to multiplayer characters anyway, once they have gotten through the single player quests to see them. Anyway, just yesterday, I got the first dot for the newest incarnation of Lochnar[ITB]. Luckily, I remembered that there is the movie following big D's death that drops you out of the game. I trapped him in the spiral, phased out and went to grab my stuff (yellows and gold since he is ITB - In The Buff). I then went back and pummeled him until he spurted and got the dot and the movie which left me back out at the game starting screen.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hail Lochnar[ITB],

thanks for that piece of information. I might have ended up with my gold and readings glasses items eaten by the game.

As for the spoiler warning: I just didn't want to offend anybody, so I went with the most safe method. Kind of stupid and overcatious maybe...

Also, my congratulations on your first dot!

Take care,

Lord_Olf