Open Beta Testing For Lineage II
Bob,Mar 29 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:How long am I supposed to wait for this email? does it just ignore any address which ends in '@hotmail.com'? or is it just slow? (It's a good 5 minutes and I've not recieved one.)
I've waited a full day and have not received my email. I tried again and got a very informative javascript error that said "error". I assume it was an error because they already had my email address so I guess I'll just keep waiting. (or maybe I'll send them a couple of my spammer addresses to further flood their request server)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hi

You two must be Beta testing City of Heros, where your Toon gets to Fly :P

Quote:Monday, March 29, 2004 Public Beta Signup!

The Super Powered Massively Multiplayer RPG

Welcome to City of Heroes, the online world that's home to an entire universe of heroes. Upon release of the game, you and thousands of other players will be able to take on the roles of super powered heroes - in a stunning, 3D graphical world.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
I could reply to that, King Jim, but then I would have to kill you... :P

I will leave you with the immortal words of the Dan, though:

"Hamidon is the Giant Tapeworm!"
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Mar 29 2004, 09:35 PM Wrote:I could reply to that, King Jim, but then I would have to kill you...  :P
Hi...> I'll take that as Yes...btw can you get PKed ? :P

If a player is a PK. it's not good, they become KOS = Kill on Sight by the guards & vendors won't sell to them...I like that :D :rolleyes: :D

Quote: About PvP

The Lineage II PvP gameplay is based on a color-coded system. The name of any character who attacks another player turns purple (Aggressive), and this also applies to anyone who attacks an Aggressive player.

Players do not receive penalties for attacking and defeating Aggressive characters. However, when attacking and killing characters that are Neutral (white colored names), the player's Karma points increase and the player becomes a Chaotic character. Chaotic character names turn red, and the guards of any village will attack a Chaotic character whenever they come in contact with one. Chaotic characters cannot use shop services, and have a high chance of dropping items upon death. To reduce Karma back to 0, the player must hunt monsters that are of similar levels to his/her character. Karma does not decrease if the player hunts monsters of lower levels, regardless of  number.

Game Play...Hunting, Questing & Grouping  !!!

ps: I haven't played Lineage II since this morning no severs up for the USA :(

King Jim,Mar 30 2004, 05:34 AM Wrote:Hi...> I'll take that as Yes...btw can you get PKed ? :P
No pvp for release, with possibly a configurable arena planned and maybe some time in the future an expansion that will allow players to play villains (if they can get that to work withou ganking and random pvp).

The developers have from the start said that they won't have non-consensual pvp. This is one of the main reasons I like this game, you won't be on your way somewhere and suddenly have 10+ people jump you just because they can.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I thought we weren't supposed to be talking?
Hi

Nothing was said that I couldn't look up at the web site...besides your in "Public Beta" now :P

Quote:Public Beta Sign-ups:Date: Mar 29, 2004 Author: James Snietka

&nbsp;&nbsp; Today (3/29/04) begins the public beta sign-ups for City of Heroes. If you didn't pre-order City of Heroes, this is your last chance to get into beta! Starting on April 14th, a random pool of people who signed up for the open beta will be drawn. Good luck!

You can read the full article here&nbsp;&nbsp; ;)

Nit: There won't be a 'public' or 'open' beta - it's invite-only.

Hopefully saying that the game in question is totally awesome isn't a violation of the NDA. ;)
WarLocke,Mar 30 2004, 06:36 PM Wrote:Nit:&nbsp; There won't be a 'public' or 'open' beta - it's invite-only.

Hopefully saying that the game in question is totally awesome isn't a violation of the NDA.&nbsp; ;)
What in hell IS this game?

WoW?

Tell me or the rabbit gets it!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
City of Heroes

I'm pretty sure I can say that much.

Can't give you any details, but I will say that I've preoredered (I never preorder anything) and will be playing it. B)
King Jim,Mar 30 2004, 05:26 PM Wrote:Hi

Nothing was said that I couldn't look up at the web site...besides your in "Public Beta"&nbsp; now :P
Yup, the devs have repeatedly said on the public boards/interviews/dev diaries that pvp will only be consentual and it won't make it into release.

But no, we're not in 'Public Beta' yet and not even all pre-order people have joined the beta (see main site). The NDA is still in effect and will likely not be lifted before the last pre-order has been let inside. I really wish it wasn't there though.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I can't seem to get it to d/l from their servers at all - can I have that BT link?

-Bob
Bob,Mar 30 2004, 08:22 PM Wrote:I can't seem to get it to d/l from their servers at all - can I have that BT link?

-Bob
The West Coast FTP site was in fact quite responsive for me. Although I have to admit, wget -b -c -t 0 is far more convenient than any browser downloading method ^_^ I'd hook you up to my Debian box, which holds the full file for you to download, except that my upload speed is 128 Kbit/s (or 16 Kbytes/s) so I guess you actually want something a bit faster ;)

Interesting, will the full game client also be downloadable from the net? That is to say, I won't have a 50 bucks coaster if I decide to play this thing and then quit? That might be enough to make me try this, if the monthly fee is not something too drastic that is.

Although I'm sitting next to my shiny new copy of UT2004 and I'm tapping my fingers waiting for the confirmation E-mail to come (funny how the file download finished before I got that e-mail), so I think I'll go play some more Onslaught. I'm addicted to driving Mantas ^_^
hmmm, can't get onto the FTP, 1000 users already on (what kind of BandWidth have they got to be able to serve 1000 users at once?)

You could use 128 Kbps to start a BT seed, if you know how, but it wouldn't work very well without mucho-people taking part.

Could we get enough loungers together who want to make the file at once to create a torrent? (or am I the only one having difficulty with the conventional method of D/L'ing 1.2 Gb anyway)

-Bob
Bob,Mar 30 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:(or am I the only one having difficulty with the conventional method of D/L'ing 1.2 Gb anyway)

-Bob
Well, I finally got my serial number (twice actually) and have started downloading the client. I first tried east coast 2 and got a too many users message. I think I'm downloading it now from west coast. It seems to be a steady download but the server must be fairly heavily loaded. I should be able to get 250-280 KB/sec but am running at 110. I have 2+ hours left to go.

The account/character is Lochnar. I will probably start a human mystic first going for human wizard since fireball slinger has always been my preferred class in such gaming. (Hmmm... side thought for gunbound players - are there any bots that throw fireballs? All I can picture are energy, electricty, laser - my favorite of late, ice - and the oh so hated boomerangs. Oh yeah, armor and bigfoot have missles but no actual fireballs?)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Mar 31 2004, 02:04 AM Wrote:
Bob,Mar 30 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:(or am I the only one having difficulty with the conventional method of D/L'ing 1.2 Gb anyway)

-Bob
Well, I finally got my serial number (twice actually) and have started downloading the client. I first tried east coast 2 and got a too many users message. I think I'm downloading it now from west coast. It seems to be a steady download but the server must be fairly heavily loaded. I should be able to get 250-280 KB/sec but am running at 110. I have 2+ hours left to go.
well, I got the BT stuff going, although I'm not sure if I've poked the right hole in the firewall and the port mapping of the network here.

Lineage II BT Linky

Let me know if it doesn't work.
Hi

Another night, 2 in a row that I have Not played Lineage II :(

I played a bit early this morning, in the afternoon all the servers where down. I need the check Time zones to see when the Peek playing time is in Korea & Europe, maybe then I can sneak in. Here in the US most players are either in school or at work at between 8-10am ET & west coast players are just waking up :P

Anyone here at LL playing in the Evening ?

King Jim,Mar 30 2004, 10:44 PM Wrote:Hi

Another night, 2 in a row that I have Not played Lineage II&nbsp; :(

I played a bit early this morning, in the afternoon all the servers where down. I need the check Time zones to see when the Peek playing time is in Korea & Europe, maybe then I can sneak in. Here in the US most players are either in school or at work at between 8-10am ET & west coast players are just waking up&nbsp; :P

Hi

It's 6am ET, I live in Hollywood Florida & I just entered all 3 Servers without a delay...btw I have DSL <_<

Bartz...Normal...Nankor, Human Fighter lv 6
Sieghardt...Normal...Nank, Orc Fighter lv 6
Kain...Net congested...Nankar, Elf Mage lv 5 & Dwarf Fighter lv 1

In Korea it's 8PM...they have their own severs. Europe too...since our 3 servers are all in English :D

King Jim,Mar 31 2004, 12:18 PM Wrote:Anyone here at LL playing in the Evening ?
I *still* haven't received my confirmation E-mail.

Guess I'm not meant to play MMOGs, just MOGs.

"Pancake!" :lol: :lol: I love you UT2004.

Anyway, I'm fiddling with the BitTorrent thing, seems like the seed from my Debian box was not working (despite the port forwarding working fine as far as I can tell). King, if you still have the 1+ Gb file, mind setting it up as another seed against the torrent to let Bob download faster? I should be able to get mine going too (this goes for anyone that has the 1+ Gb install file, help those that need some way to download it ^_^).

EDIT: I think my seed works properly now, so it's back to work for me. Well, after another 10 minutes I have left of my lunch break, when I'll gobble my food down.
It's working fine, it's even found the 1/3 of the file I'd downloaded from the offical site before it went to pot.

If any other lurkers want the file, now would be a good time to join the torrent.

thanks walkiry

-Bob

edit:

GRRRRR! I do all that and it won't flipping well work!
Yes, I just meet all the requirements.

The below is the error message:

Quote:OS: Windows 98 4.10 (Build: 67766446)
CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1294 MHz with 255MB RAM
Video: No Video

Assertion failed: GetClassInfoExA( NULL, TCHAR_TO_ANSI(WinBaseClass), &Cls ) [File:Window.cpp] [Line: 1063]

History: WControl::RegisterWindowClass <- UWindowManager::UWindowManager <- InitWindowing

So, I guess that either the assertion failed bit is the problem, or the fact that it says 'no video'. I've tried updating video drivers - install file for the drivers won't run... but I'd guess that this probably isn't the issue anyway, I'd guess that the 'assertion failed' is.
Any ideas for a solution?

-Bob