Second Impressions
I've now slogged through another week of play since my first report. As I feared, too many people were concluding that my first report was the overall, "that's it" report about the game, and I received /whispers from people online like "still hate it?" and "are you going to keep playing?" I even had one "you suck, this game rules" comment. Wow, it's public Battle.Net all over again! :)

The main point of my first report was "this game has a steep learning curve, especially for mages." However, with my learning curve out of the way, I was able to concentrate on developing my mage. I have gone from level 12 to level 18, and things are getting more interesting.

For starters, as those who read this forum know, more Lurkers are around to game with. The Lurker guild on the beta is now consisting of 10 members, with some more yet to report (cough, Griselda, where are you?). Questions and answers have been flying back and forth on the guild channel. Just as last weekend was my turn to ask the "dumb" questions to Zoid (how do I leave the general chat channel so it stops spamming my screen, how do I throw an item into chat so everyone can look at it, etc), this weekend I got to answer them all. In later phases, when I'm sure more Lurkers will get in, this new gang can answer the "dumb" questions that crop up.

Things are a LOT more fun when in groups for a MMORPG, especially as a mage. As I told TPJ of the Amazon Basin, I've just accepted that mages stink and have adapted my playing style. As I watch Paladins take on 3 monsters of the same level at the same time and survive, I stick to one-at-a-time fighting of such monsters (and die about 10% of the time - 80% when the mob is a ranged attacker such as a mage or archer - more later). Either that, or I stick to mobs of a lower level than me. It's a beta, mages stink right now; maybe they'll be corrected later, no problem. Playing with a group is another way to survive, since I have a handle on how aggro works. However, many players don't want to bother with a mage grouping with them, since we just die a lot and are a hassle, I guess. Either that, or it's my body odor. :)

So I can handle fighting one melee enemy of the same level as me. Two, and I'm toast. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of my ability - the mage just isn't equipped to handle it. Frost Nova helps a ton by freezing the mobs in place (when it works - monsters can resist it), but in order to kill one mob quickly before they both unfreeze, I use up a majority of my mana. I get in trouble then with the second mob.

But that pales in comparison to taking on ranged mobs. Since freezing them only applies to their movement, I can't halt the attacks of a ranged attacker. I also don't have the advantage of getting off a clean 2-3 shots before I start taking damage, which is the case with a melee attacker as he/she runs at me. My death rate against ranged attackers is near 80% and has become a major point of frustration. Their attacks halt my attacks, and I have no way to "stun" them. I get repeatedly killed by ranged attackers who are below me in level. Teaming up is my only solution. Jarulf made quite a teammate this weekend, as he could charge ranged attackers and stun them, allowing me to wail on them with impunity.

Since no Lurkers are really up to my level yet (I play too much), I'm still on an exploration kick. I've been around a good bit and can say that I've seen about 25% of the world now. The transportation between the two continents (Kalimdor and Azeroth) is handled via the use of teleportation guys, since they don't have the boats worked out. In fact, talking to the NPC who you would purchase a boat ride from has a note from the developers that the boat artwork isn't done yet, and to "enjoy the free teleport" in the meantime.

What I'm really itching to do is an elite quest with my fellow Lurkers. I partied with a bunch of strangers and we attempted the mines beneath Westfall, where three(!) elite quests can be solved. Three hours later, after descending into a seemingly endless dungeon, we were finally massacred by some goblins and their mechanical contraptions. It was a good run all the same; I gained over 10,000 experience (that's a lot, since I needed 33,000 to level up) and had quite an adventure. The excitement grew the farther we got, as the pressure mounted. The further we went, the less the chance we could recover our bodies if we died, and the greater the odds that the adventure would end. It was a lot of fun, especially since we were down there without a priest (a healer). Thanks to the use of Soulstones created by a Warlock, we were able to resurrect ourselves in place if we died. My mage's ability to conjure food (health) and water (mana) to be used when not fighting made me very popular. But eventually, we were mobbed too much to be able to use Soulstones to recover. Perhaps a tank made a mistake and pulled too many monsters; I couldn't see how it all broke down since I was always at the back of the party (and, as a Gnome, I'm way too short to see over the others very well. Funny, yes, but it's true). All I knew is that we were swarmed quickly and got annihilated.

Since a party can have only a max of 5 members (this is good and bad, really, since parties TOO big can be chaotic), VERY good teamplay is required to survive. I think that's what makes elite quests elite - you will need heavy teamwork if you want to complete it at a character level appropriate to the quest. Since teamwork is what makes MMORPGs fun, I can say I had more fun down there than I had for all the rest of my playing time put together. I can't wait to try it again with some Lurkers.

Thanks to the instance system, our party was alone in the dungeon and didn't have to worry about being bothered. This also prevents cheese play where a team could easily get to the end of the dungeon after some other party cleared it out. Since much of the difficulty is getting to the end point, you need the instanced dungeons to force you to work for it. :)

So....solo play is still frustrating, but as the quests are getting more intricate and I'm able to party with others, it has gotten better. Not that this is a surprise to me. I knew going in that MMORPGs are heavily party-oriented. The cynical side of me says that's because partying up will make you friends on the server and keep you playing (and paying) the game long after you've seen everything, but then games are simply more fun socially anyhow. As long as you find the right group. And from what I've seen, isn't that why we're all reading this site anyway? To be in the right group?

Tune in for my next report at a future date...hopefully other Lurkers will also chime in with their game impressions.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
But do you still hate it?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so funny I can't stand it...
Quote:I couldn't see how it all broke down since I was always at the back of the party (and, as a Gnome, I'm way too short to see over the others very well. Funny, yes, but it's true)

This is hilarious :D

FYI, if things go well I should be playing tomorrow or Wednesday by the latest. I shall look for you then.
DeeBye,Mar 29 2004, 10:22 PM Wrote:This is hilarious
Heh, yeah. Although you can angle the camera to see around others, the center-point of the camera for a gnome is tied to a lower point of view than taller characters. Since the hallway sloped downward, I literally couldn't see down the hallway. :) For Gnomeregan!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Don't underestimate this. In DAoC and I presume WoW, the height of the character you play is very important. My wife played a dwarf thane in DAoC, and hated trying to peel because she could not see around all the trolls. In PvE, I know of no real advantage to short characters.

In PvP, tall characters can often shoot over small hills or walls (depends on how WoW handles LOS.) I had a kobold hunter, and I hated having to jump up and time my shot to be able to shoot out of some keeps. Of course, tall characters can often see more things. However, short characters can be harder to see and target which can be a big advantage. too. (Especially if you are a squishy character like a mage.)
Hail Bolty,

Great report! I enjoyed every sentance of it (especially the height one). Your adventure in the dungeon sounded like a lot of fun. I love the idea of instance system; I've played many MMORPGs and have had so many fustrating moments with people passing your party after you cleared out the dungeon to fight the boss.

O well, back to work! Great job on the report, look forward to reading more.
Hi Bolty!

I was wondering: You say that you're playing a Gnome Mage and that you die too often. I haven't seen or played the WOW beta, and I have no clue about the game statistics either, but could it be that (little) GNOME Mages have simply a weaker physical constitution (hitpoints, strength etc) than, for example, HUMAN or TAUREN Mages? Or does this weakness apply generally to ALL Mage classes, no matter what the race is?

And a question about the "elite quest" comes to mind: You say that your team spent 3 hours on the difficult elite quest before you finally had to give up. What if you all, or just one party member, suddenly gets a connection interrupt after 2.5 hours? Are there any waypoints, townportals etc to get back to the point where you were, or in case you all get an interrupt, does the (instanced) game stay up for a while and is there any way to get back then? What if the (instanced) game simply crashes after 2.5 hours? Are all the efforts lost then? I mean 2.5 hours spent is a lot of time, and it would be awful if there is no way back :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Apr 4 2004, 05:03 AM Wrote:I was wondering: You say that you're playing a Gnome Mage and that you die too often. I haven't seen or played the WOW beta, and I have no clue about the game statistics either, but could it be that (little) GNOME Mages have simply a weaker physical constitution (hitpoints, strength etc) than, for example, HUMAN or TAUREN Mages? Or does this weakness apply generally to ALL Mage classes, no matter what the race is?
It is pretty much a problem with mages in general and almost as bad with the warlocks also from what I have seen. The mages start with typically lower stamina (primary attribute for hitpoints) and need to spend most of the talent point they end up getting on other areas instead of the ones need to raise the hitpoint level. Couple this with their being only allowed to wear cloth armors and no shield, which translate to much lower defense rating over all. This will mean that they will get hit frequently if the monster gets to them (not a lot of hope if the opponent is using missiles). This pretty much means that if the encounter is like to case more than one monster to be activated at the same time the mage will need some sort of tank to help releave the pressure. This is why the warlocks can get off a little better, they can usually summon a tank if that is the way they want to play.

As for the elite quest, I have not got that far to see what happens if you have to restart from a disconnect while in an instanced area. But I have had several cases of getting disconnected during crashes while in the middle of an encounter. In those cases you will restart in the exact same conditions and it can be ugly. For example my warrior Arkthorn was standing in the middle of an almost cleared Murloc village when the server crashed. When restarting I was still in the same possition but with out most of the murlocs having been slain already (think if you had to restart D2 in the middle of a super Flayer village if you your game interupted there). I imagine that the intstanced areas will force you respawn just outside the entrance into them.

There really are no "town portal" effects that will allow you to easily travel back and forth to towns with ease. While there are some portal effects that will allow you to travel to some specific spot, they are not a 2 way affair like the D2 town portals and they are not apparently usable by others either.

Currently the closest thing that I have seen to the Waypoint system is the Griffon transportation system. At the start there is only an open path between Stormwind (aka lagwind city) and Ironforge. As you travel to other areas you can open up more routes, but these are only point D to point E types routes, not Point E to any other point that you know of. The other points on the route also have level limits before they will be opened up to you even if you do get to them fairly early (one of them had a white exclamation mark for it when I first showed up in the area but change when I went up one level). They also cost money for each leg of the trip and could add up quickly if you keep running back and forth without generating some income inbetween trips on the average. The price is not bad but it is enough to discourge just riding around alot. I am guessing that there are other similar types of transportation systems when one gets out of the human and dwarven areas (think of the Morrowind transpotation system stiltriders/boats/mageguild-teleportation).
It sounds like there are still a lot of balancing issues. But I've heard that this shall be the most extensive game beta ever, so they should be able to fix them :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller