The Disciple
I was recently thinking of getting the last two items of this set and was wondering whether or not it would be worth it. It seems to me that it is pretty good but I would like some opinons.
I have my own signature. Yay.
You didn't even mention what your character is...
adeyke,Mar 29 2004, 08:16 PM Wrote:You didn't even mention what your character is...
nor what pieces you have and which ones you're searching for.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Striker,Mar 29 2004, 10:14 PM Wrote:nor what pieces you have and which ones you're searching for.
Doesn't matter :P .

No, seriously though: while of course your other equipment, character, etc. matter alot, frankly you just can't go wrong with that set.

Complete Set Bonus
+150 Defense
+7 Poison Damage Over 1 Second
+10 To Strength
+2 To All Skill Levels
All Resistances +50
+100 Mana

That's the total bonus you get for armor, boots, belt, gloves and ammy, not even counting the individual piece stats. And leaves open your weapon, helm, both ring, and shield slots. The resists you get from individual set pieces (notably the belt and gloves) go a looong way towards maxing your resists in hell.

Depending on your character build, the set is more or less usefull. The gloves are one of the best damned gloves in the game for melee characters.

So, short answer definately get that set; long answer depending on your build/other equipment/character goals...

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
While I agree that the gloves are one of the best in the game, most of the other pieces really don't have a lot going for them individually, IMO, and the overall bonii don't really do a lot for me either.

The amulet, while nice for the +1 skills and dual resists, seems to be fairly difficult to find, since there are 8 other sets that also contain amulets. And I would assume that since the Disciple and Tal's amulet are 'non-normal' set items, that the chances of them being rolled are skewed lower than the chances for the other, 'normal' set amulets. adeyke, Ruvanal, or the other code readers would know for sure. If the amulet had +All resists, +2 skills, or even a decent amount of +life, then it would seem more useful to me. And even though the level requirement would rise, note that the gloves and belt have level requirements of 63 and 65, respectively. Bumping the level of the amulet to, say ~67 (from +2 skills), isn't that steep of a jump to be able to use the entire set with the amulet as opposed to where it is now with the amulet at level 30 and the above requirements for the other pieces.

The armor, other than adding a sizable chunk of defense and a sizable boost to Fire resistance, doesn't have a lot going for it, either. 25% chance to cast lvl 3 Nova? 24-34 poison over 2 seconds? The damage from either of these is fairly insignificant in late nightmare and in hell, which is where I would suspect the armor would be able to drop. I will say that the fairly low strength requirement makes it attractive to some builds, though, since that frees up some stat points.

The boots? Possibly the deal-breaker, IMO. It has 30% FR/W and a bunch of other fairly useless mods. Half freeze duration might be nice if you don't have CBF anywhere, but that's about it. No resistances pretty much kill these pair of boots. A decent rare would outclass this in a heartbeat.

The belt is probably the second best piece, right after the gloves. A fairly decent amount of +all resistances, especially on a belt. Not to mention the boost in strength and dexterity. But a level requirement of 65? And a strength requirement of 106? Bleech. No thanks. I would have found a better belt way before I hit 65, and other than completing the set, I wouldn't use it solely for the +resists.

The overall bonii aren't all that special. The set gives +3 skills (including the amulet), but so do most other LoD sets. Same thing applies to the +50 resists and +100 mana. To me, the things that hurt the set the most are the lack of any life boost whatsoever and the minor poison mods. It might be good to stop monster regen, but a duration of about 2 seconds isn't really that long in hell.

If you have the harder-to-find pieces (the armor and amulet), then it might be worth it to try and dig up the other parts, since those are somewhat easier to obtain. But if those are the last pieces that you need to complete the set, then I wouldn't:

a. hold my breath to find them, and/or
b. pay through the nose for them.

But then, these are my opinions, so take what you want from it. Like Occhi says every now and then, YMMV.
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Quote:And I would assume that since the Disciple and Tal's amulet are 'non-normal' set items, that the chances of them being rolled are skewed lower than the chances for the other, 'normal' set amulets. adeyke, Ruvanal, or the other code readers would know for sure.

I'm not a code reader. I'm just a tester and MPQ text file reader. That said...

Associated with every unique/set item is a minimum ilvl necessary to spawn (also known as the unique/set qlvl or just level) and a rarity. Whenever the game wants to spawn a unique/set item, it randomly picks from those for whom the ilvl is sufficiently, weighted by the rarity. In the case of set amulets, the data are as follows:

Name_________________________rarity_____level_____best chance_______final chance
Civerb's Icon________________7__________13________7/ 7 = 100.0%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Cathan's Sigil_______________7__________15________7/14 =__50.0%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Angelic Wings________________7__________17________7/21 =__33.3%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Vidala's Snare_______________7__________19________7/28 =__25.0%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Arcanna's Sign_______________1__________20________1/29 = __3.4%_____1/45 =__2.2%
Iratha's Collar______________7__________21________7/36 =__19.4%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Tal Rasha's Adjudication_____1__________26________1/37 = __2.7%_____1/45 =__2.2%
Tancred's Weird______________7__________27________7/44 =__15.9%_____7/45 = 15.6%
Telling of Beads_____________1__________39________1/45 = __2.2%_____1/45 =__2.2%

The first chance is the chance at the optimal ilvl. For example, at ilvl 13-14 for Civerb and ilvl 26 for Tal Rasha. The second chance is for ilvl 39+, when all amulets are available. As you can see, at ilvl 39+, some amulets are 7 times as likely as others, and, since the Disciple amulet starts appearing the latest, it can be considered the rarest.
Sorry bout that. My char is l a lvl 69 Pally and I need the armor and the boots.
In what realm are u ?

I am in europe and have a extra armor, if can trade with u if want.

I read this beacuse i have too the disciple set, but i find the bulkathos sword set, and i am thinking in make a frenzy dual set barbarian =)

Any suggestion?
adeyke,Mar 30 2004, 02:27 PM Wrote:I'm not a code reader.  I'm just a tester and MPQ text file reader.
Regardless of what you call yourself, your efforts are much appreciated. :)

Interesting how Arcanna's Sign is also a fairly rare item, even though it's a pre-LoD set.
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Sorry bout that. My char is l a lvl 69 Pally and I need the armor and the boots.

What realm?
Us West
Just a friendly reminder that if you're thinking about trading, the conversation should be shifted to PMs since trading isn't allowed here at the LL. :)
-Dr. Nick Riviera

OK, sry.
Look at the Iratha set. Gloves, belt, ammy, crown. 65% resall, 10% hihgher resistances, poison "immunity". Level 15.

Now take the disciple... Bleeh. Nothing, really. For a shout-frenzyer maybe, but for a paladin? When in question, always ask yourself the question: "Do I seriously want to trade my guardian angel for that set?". I mean my sorceresses and necromancers use Guardian Angels. Taking it off of a paladin just makes me go EEEK.

Sorry, I realize it's just personal preferences, but I think it's a no-goer.

Aboout the "Bul-Katos, the Disciple" plan: intriqueing. Mediocre sets, both of them, and you only have the ring and helm slots free... but it could work. Not in hell, not with those weapons, but it just could work well before that.