Maximum Resistances
I was told by a friend that if I have a character using thundergod's, and I have 185% resist all (making for 85% resist in hell difficulty) - I have not yet attained my maximum resistance.

He says that I could wear a 4ptopaz shield, for example (160% lightning resist) and that would (practically speaking, not on the char screen) increase my resistance. Is this true?

Thank you
Crunchodile
Hail Crunchodile,

Could you please clarify what the first sentence is supposed to mean? I missed a "then" to go along with that "if"...

As to the second one: A 4-topaz shield would increase your resistance both practically and on the character screen. Resists are capped at 75% though. If you want to get higher, you would have to use items that increase your maximum resistances such as Guardian Angel, IIRC. I'm not playing DII/LOD anymore, so don't take this as gospel.

Also remember that there are penalties for resists in Nightmare and Hell, so try to plan ahead for the harder difficulties.

Hope that helps...

Take care,
Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
sorry for being unclear .. basically, my question is:

can one get resistances higher than your current maximum?

i.e. would having 500% lightning resist more than your max resist help?
@Crunchodile:
In the absense of +% Maximum Resist gear, you will only be able to resist a maximum of 75% of an Elemental attack; with appropriate +% Maximum Resist equipment, then you can finagle your way up to resisting 95% of an Elemental attack. Further Resistance beyond this point (ergo, 195% Resistance in Hell) will never allow you to resist more than 95% Elemental damage (or whatever your cap is, depending on gear/skills). However, extra Resistance will protect you against the effects of -% Elemental Resistance, such as the -% Enemy Fire Resistance on Ravenlore (if you happen to be the enemy), or skills such as Conviction or Lower Resist. Basically, you can give yourself a buffer of Resistance that only comes into play when someone is trying to lower your resists. Does that make sense?
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
yes, thank you