Your video cards
What video cards are you guys using? What's the amount of memory on them? You know, that sort of thing. Figure that I can get some sort of idea of how to help us all out a little until Blizz gets the memory leaks fixed.

SaxyCorp
Desktop System:
Pentium III 600MHz
756MB Memory
Diamond Stealth 550 (16MB)
Windows XP Retail (Pre SP1)

Laptop System:
Pentium M 1.5GHz
512MB Memory
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (??MB)
Windows 2000 SP4
Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ
1gb Ram
Geforce Ti 128mb
Soundblaster Live!
Windows XP professional
Hi,

Pentium III (IIRC) 600 MHz
256 MB
nVidia GeForce (32 MB)
Win98

If Magi or I find a game that needs a better machine, I'll throw two (cost of two gamer families) together. Until then, these dinos will serve us fine :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

AMD XP2500+
1.5GB PC3200 DDR
nVidia GeForce3 ti 200
120GB ATA133 7200 RPM HD
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Pete,Apr 7 2004, 02:35 PM Wrote:Pentium III (IIRC) 600 MHz
256 MB
nVidia GeForce (32 MB)
Win98
You can run WoW on that? Any non-DirectX 9 card will take a hit in this game. My GeForce4 Ti 4600 does a nice 50 FPS for indoor areas, but large open areas can drop it down to 10-15 FPS (full detail, 1024x768). This is with a P4 2.53Ghz.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Apr 7 2004, 05:20 PM Wrote:You can run WoW on that?  Any non-DirectX 9 card will take a hit in this game.  My GeForce4 Ti 4600 does a nice 50 FPS for indoor areas, but large open areas can drop it down to 10-15 FPS (full detail, 1024x768).  This is with a P4 2.53Ghz.
That's almost exactly the same as my lowly GF 2 Ultra, another non-DX9 card. (Well, with the farclip moved in a bit. :) )
Hi,

I've got all detail down to about minimum, but it still looks good.

I don't know what the frame rate is -- haven't looked up how to get it, but will post here if someone wants to tell me how. The game runs pretty smooth at the lowest resolution (600 X 800 IIRC). Blizzard did its usual good job of making it playable on a bottom end system.

If we get "into" this game, we'll build systems more in line with its requirements. But I'm not about to do that for a beta. So far, both Magi and I have been building characters. Looking forward to getting beyond the FedEx quests. The game is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more after I QUIT TRYING TO STEER WITH THE MOUSE. Sorry for yelling, I might have to break my right hand and get it in a cast to break the move by mouse habit :) . Whether we enjoy it enough to spring for two computers, two copies of the game, and two online accounts remains to be seen.

--Pete

Pete,Apr 7 2004, 06:37 PM Wrote:I don't know what the frame rate is -- haven't looked up how to get it, ...
Control-r
My computer is a bit slow for parts of World of Warcraft. I think I need a faster processor and more RAM. Here's the stats:

800 MHz AMD Duron
GeForce FX 5200
512 Megabytes of RAM
Soundblaster Live!
-TheDragoon
Whats the verdict here if you want to run on higher graphics settings? My system is as follows:
Athlon XP 2700+ (the bus is bumped up to 200 to match with the mem)
ATI Radeon 9500 PRO
512 MB DDR 3200 Corsair Ram (1 DIMM)
120 GB SATA 150 Hard disk

I've been thinking about getting another 512 stick of ram, but seeing as how matching the corsair ram is quite spendy I've been holding off. I can run TFT at 1600x1200 with all settings maxed without any slowdown even in huge battles. Since that is the same engine can I expect the same coming out of WoW? Am I going to need more ram? Is anyone running a similiar setup?

OT: All the screenshots I've seen have nearly all of the icons identical to many graphics in War 3. Are there any throwbacks to Starcraft or D2 in there?
--Pete

The game is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more after I QUIT TRYING TO STEER WITH THE MOUSE. Sorry for yelling, I might have to break my right hand and get it in a cast to break the move by mouse habit

Hold down the right mouse button and your steering may work out for you. :) When I first started playing, I really wanted it to handle like an FPS game. It turns out that it actually can handle like an FPS game if you want it to, by holding down the right mouse button constantly and also zooming the mouse wheel until your character is behind the "camera". However, this turns out to be a pretty crummy way to navigate the game.
Here is my rundown:

Geforce 3 Ti 200 with 64 MB DDR video memory
Athlon 1700+ (that is 1466 mhz, for people who like real numbers)
512 MB DDR SDRAM
hard drive is, kinda full

Usually the game runs like a dream. Up to 50 FPS, nice and smooth, no problems. Entering Stormwind brings a FPS drop to 1-5 for about a minute, then goes back to being reasonable. My biggest problems are in areas with moguls. Specifically I think this happens if I quit the game in one of these areas and then log back on. When I log on, I get nasty artifacts where it seems about half of the triangles are there and half of them are missing. After 10 seconds or so the rest of the triangles are rendered (all at once, not gradually).
Hi,

Well, it ranges from about 6 to about 30 depending on the usual suspects. Game seems to still feel responsive and smooth at 6.

--Pete

Athlon 1700+ XP
512 MB DDR RAM
Onboard S3 ProSavage DDR (uses 31 MB of system RAM)

WoW runs like absolute crap for me. It's nearly unplayable, and quite limited. For example, I can't even play in Ironforge. Don't ever try running WoW with any kind of onboard video.

I'm quite interested in this thread, just to see what sort of low-end AGP card I could buy to get decent framerates. Judging by the responses, it looks like even the $50 budget cards (GeForce MX 5200; Radeon 9200se), will run it just fine.

edit: Pete, what model # is your Geforce?
Pete,Apr 7 2004, 07:57 PM Wrote:Hi,

Well, it ranges from about 6 to about 30 depending on the usual suspects.  Game seems to still feel responsive and smooth at 6.

--Pete
I noticed that as well. Since WoW doesn't require any sort of "twitch" gameplay, low FPS isn't a big concern. The only that irritates me is that mouse movement while selecting menu buttons is a real pain at <10 FPS.
Pete,Apr 7 2004, 10:37 PM Wrote:The game is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more after I QUIT TRYING TO STEER WITH THE MOUSE.&nbsp;

You can steer with the mouse -- I do all the time. I'd have to put my hand in a cast to break the habit as well. :)

Holding the right mouse button puts you in mouselook mode. You can set a key to toggle mouselook if you want to.

My system:

p4 2.2
1gb RDRAM
GF4 ti4600
WinXP
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Hi,

Without pulling it out to look, I'd have to say a 2. The GeForce line was just cranking up in early 2000, and we had to run the systems on some old ATI cards I had lying around while we waited for the back-ordered nVidia cards.

I doubt you could even start to get anything as "primitive" as the cards we have. When my brother-in-law needed a new card for a machine he just does work on, the cheapest nVidia card I could find had more of everything than does mine. And it was something like $63US at CompUSA (probably ten bucks less online, but we didn't want to wait).

--Pete

Pete,Apr 7 2004, 10:46 PM Wrote:Hi,

Without pulling it out to look, I'd have to say a 2.&nbsp; The GeForce line was just cranking up in early 2000, and we had to run the systems on some old ATI cards I had lying around while we waited for the back-ordered nVidia cards.
You don't need to pull the card out to see what model it is. You can get a decent idea of what card you have by using Microsoft's Direct X diagnostic tool. As long as you have Direct X installed (which you most assuredly do), you can get a nice readout of some interesting information about your system.

-Start
-Run
-type "dxdiag" in the empty field

When the diagnostic tool loads, click on the "display" tab to see what you've got.

Quote:I doubt you could even start to get anything as "primitive" as the cards we have.

That's why I'm really curious about this. I think that my ATI Radeon 7000 32MB PCI card (currently resting in a dead computer in my closet) is the most primitive card out there. If it turns out that your card (is it AGP or PCI?) is more primitive than my Radeon 7000, then we have just established a new low-end benchmark for WoW.