Shocking Incompetance
Unbelievably, several obvious bugs made it through to 110 final, despite countless posts on the official bug forum during the Beta.

The first one is innocuous enough:

Afterlife returns.
No doubt someone has mentioned it already, but I've got a small twist on the matter.

Afterlife is back in 1.10, seemingly coming to a game wherever players with leech are dying from IM near you! However it seems to happen to paladins far more than anyone else...
Simply bad luck, or is there a class bias (im suspicious that it is playing funny-buggers with sacrifice)

Next up...
Anya's Still to Blame
Every test seems to reconfirm that, despite the code correction we have seen, the Anya (why is it Anya's fault? I'd blame Malah for flogging faulty magic blessings) bug is still with us, still making SC PvP an excersize in load screens...

Vit Bonus Bug...still ruining 109 builds :(
This one is just plain evil.

It is also suprising how few people, even amongst real d2 number-monkey-freaks, have even heard of this one.

In 110, betas and final, any life granted by +vit bonuses DOES NOT GET BOOSTED bv %max life bonuses. Oddly enough, +life is not bugged in this manner, only vit.

This means, don't socket io runes in a barb - it is a waste, compared to the total bonus you will get from rubies.
It also means, my druid and barb, who were DESIGNED to be played with tonnes to +vit to make up for a low base, got the real shaft (barb can't play Hell solo, he just dies, and my druid has become unviable for PvP).

Ok, Ok, it isn't THAT evil, but it is damn annoying, esp since I posted about it about a hojillion times during beta >:-(
Daemonlaud,Apr 23 2004, 06:13 AM Wrote:Unbelievably, several obvious bugs made it through to 110 final, despite countless posts on the official bug forum during the Beta.
rofl.

Took me about ten minutes to stop laughing from that one.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Quote:In 110, betas and final, any life granted by +vit bonuses DOES NOT GET BOOSTED bv %max life bonuses. Oddly enough, +life is not bugged in this manner, only vit.
I'm more inclined to say that if either of those is a bug, it would be +life getting boosted. nerf /= bug. Especially with
Quote:...I posted about it about a hojillion times during beta

Quote:Afterlife returns.
No doubt someone has mentioned it already, but I've got a small twist on the matter.

Afterlife is back in 1.10, seemingly coming to a game wherever players with leech are dying from IM near you! However it seems to happen to paladins far more than anyone else...
Simply bad luck, or is there a class bias (im suspicious that it is playing funny-buggers with sacrifice)

Next up...
Anya's Still to Blame
Every test seems to reconfirm that, despite the code correction we have seen, the Anya (why is it Anya's fault? I'd blame Malah for flogging faulty magic blessings) bug is still with us, still making SC PvP an excersize in load screens...
Pardon?
Daemonlaud,Apr 24 2004, 12:13 AM Wrote:In 110, betas and final, any life granted by +vit bonuses DOES NOT GET BOOSTED bv %max life bonuses.  Oddly enough, +life is not bugged in this manner, only vit.
This is not a bug. It was an intentional change, and documented as such in the 1.10 patch notes.
Quote:Took me about ten minutes to stop laughing from that one.
Yah, well... :P It is rather incredible, for me...how do you manage to 'fix' a bug and have it not fixed? Sure, my software engineering skills have never been my foremost, but nonetheless, when I test something and find it flawed, and fix it, I then generally RETEST to make sure that it is, in fact, fixed...

Quote:I'm more inclined to say that if either of those is a bug, it would be +life getting boosted.
How on earth do you figure that?
Seems fairly intuitive to me: You have X life, +%Y is of X. Why should there be a distinction between life granted by items and 'base' life? There has never been such made since 1.00...if such a change was made, you would think a ) it would be necessitated by something broken in the game, b ) it would have recieved some documentation or response during beta, and c ) that it would act as a logical and consistent factor, rather than seemingly totally arbitrarily.

Quote:Pardon?
What would you like me to pardon you for? Anya bug is still around, and Aflterlife is back again in a new reincarnation. This is, unless I am quite mistaken, a bug discussion forum.

Quote:This is not a bug. It was an intentional change, and documented as such in the 1.10 patch notes.
It is??

Where?..I don't recall reading that anywhere, and I did read through them pretty closely on release.
Why would the stop vit from counting, and leave life? Vit is, in general, far less common and high numerically, unless you are running around with 108 valours or really trying hard to stack it.

EDIT: Just rechecked the patch documentation, sorry, but there is NO reference to this change as intentional, no reference to it at all in fact.
There is no evidence I have seen to suggest it was intentional, its effect does not redress an obvious imbalance, and it acts inconsistently. This screams 'bug', as it would for any other such undocumented anomaly. The only mention max life skills gets is - Skills and magic effects that change one's maximum Life now change one's current Life by a corresponding percentage.
This is just about you not needing a heal after casting BO. That statement to me implies that %max would encompass all sources of life, the wording being 'current life', not 'current base life' or 'current life not based on items of vitality' or some such. Certainly nothing about buggering about with distinctions between 'base' and 'bonus' statistics.
Quote:How on earth do you figure that?
Similar to synergies. Only boost base life.

Quote:What would you like me to pardon you for? Anya bug is still around, and Aflterlife is back again in a new reincarnation. This is, unless I am quite mistaken, a bug discussion forum.
I was wondering what they were.
Quote:I was wondering what they were.
Oh, sorry! My bad. Thought you were having a go :)

'Anya bug' is that irritating tendency of your Anya quest reward resistances to vanish whenever a SC character dies and restarts, and with the LCS not reporting it, until you quit the game and rejoin.

'Afterlife' is a bug that has been around since D2 was first released.
A character was slain, yet still lived without yet returning to life...Sounds like an ancient prophetic text.

Basically, if you died under a handful of specific circumstances, there was a chance you would 'undie' on the spot, walking around as though you had restarted in town but still at your death's location...but a ghost, unable to pick up your coprse or otherwise interact with the world of life. The only cure was, again, exiting and rejoining.
Afterlife was addressed several times in patches since it first appeared as a side effect of the IM/BG golem combo, yet seemed to be unkillable, as it kept rearing its head time after time throughout the ages in many different guises...and once again now in 110.

Quote:Similar to synergies. Only boost base life.
I see. It has never worked like this before...and doesn't for energy/mana as far as I know.
Quote:and doesn't for energy/mana as far as I know.

It does. Mana from +mana/clvl, from +energy and from +energy/clvl aren't affected by +% mana.
Quote:I see. It has never worked like this before...and doesn't for energy/mana as far as I know.
As Adeyke said, that isn't how it works, but how I think it should. Either that, or have it boost +life and vitality.
A new 1.10 interface bug occasionally shows itself on realm games, and I suspect lag is responsible.

While talking with an NPC or interacting with an object, the server will sometimes not get the flag that says you've finished the interaction, after you've gone off to do something else. The result? You can go around killing monsters, but you can't pick up items, enter town portals (though you can cast them), open the stash, use waypoints, or interact with NPCs. Other players get a "busy" message if they click to trade with you. This because the server is still waiting for an End_Transaction flag or something. As I said, this seems to happen during 'net lag, especially if a spike occurs in the middle of you clicking to do something (besides attack or cast), possibly resulting in a lost packet.

The only fix we've found so far is for the affected player to exit the game and re-enter.

I don't know why Blizzard felt it necessary to fiddle with the data transmission between client and server; the game was doing just fine back in 1.09d. Now there's all sorts of weirdness, with monsters running in place, monsters warping around the room (without having a teleport ability), etc. The new speed increases only serve to make this worse, since with lag the monster movement rate can exceed the data transmission rate.
Quote:Now there's all sorts of weirdness, with monsters running in place

On the plus side, you can moonwalk in town in single player via use of shift+click. First, walk somewhere in town, then, click somewhere else while holding shift. Marvel at the results.
Coooooooooooool....**runs to try it**...

Quote:It does. Mana from +mana/clvl, from +energy and from +energy/clvl aren't affected by +% mana.
Ah, thanks for that Adey - no wonder my 109 necros have slightly less mana. They haven't really been played much though, so I didn't give it any thought.

This makes me certain it is a bug - why would they tweak energy/manaclvl to not count, but leave straight +mana? A lot more things give you high mana directly. I doubt they designed an entire change for the purpose of nerfing Wizspike :)
Daemonlaud,Apr 24 2004, 06:06 PM Wrote:'Afterlife' is a bug that has been around since D2 was first released.
A character was slain, yet still lived without yet returning to life...Sounds like an ancient prophetic text.
Wow.. That has happend to me a few times. Man its so annoying too. I just thought it was my computers own mistake, but now that I know its not Im not going to hit my computer! Thanks

Oh, I dont know if anyone's mentioned this bug yet (I dont know if it is a bug) But Its kind of like the one posted a few posts back where you cant click on anything, go in your stash or pick anything up.. However I accidentally pressed spacebar once and whenever that happens all I do is hit spacebar and then the problem is fixed..
Daemonlaud,Apr 25 2004, 06:04 AM Wrote:EDIT:  Just rechecked the patch documentation, sorry, but there is NO reference to this change as intentional, no reference to it at all in fact.
- Increased difficulty for high-level players to reduce future
exploitation of the game system.

Pretty much covers all unintended 'features' ;)

But seriously ...

I think I am remembering :
- Fixed a bug in damage calculation for weapons which computed +min/+max
damage prior to +damage%.

Which is not what you are asking about. I think there was speculation in the 1.10beta that they were caused by the same change, but it doesn't look credible from here.
Quote:On the plus side, you can moonwalk in town in single player via use of shift+click. First, walk somewhere in town, then, click somewhere else while holding shift. Marvel at the results.
You can also townshoot. Just step outside of town, select a missile skill, and click between you and the town entrance. If the point you click is outside of town, you'll fire, and the projectile art will enter the town. Hit animations will also show if you've hostiled someone who's in town. It does no damage, but is sort of cool.
The bug with the 'busy' message on realms appears to have been fixed on the server side some time after I posted about it.

While playing singleplayer today I noticed another bug in Act 5 that I don't recall seeing mentioned anywhere else. It involves Imps and Siege Beasts...

In 1.09 if an imp hopped onto a siege seast and started hosing you with inferno, you could interrupt it by killing the siege beast. The imp would fall down and resume normal activities until you dispatched it.

In 1.10 you can kill the siege beast just fine, and the imp will still fall down, but he remains stuck in inferno mode until the inferno duration expires. Meanwhile he is immune to attacks and is still causing damage to anyone caught in the inferno. Once the inferno duration expires, things return to normal.