Talents?
First off, Howdy! I was an old member of the LL back in the day (2000) and wandered back here recently. I'm happy to see that the Lounge is still going and may branch out into WoW. I appreciated the contact and advice from the Lurkers, and WoW offers a great opportunity to extend the life of this website.

Anyway, I had a few questions about the WoW skills system. (Please forgive my ignorance just joined up, remember?) Blizzard's WoW FAQ states that:

Quote:Will there be a way to retrain talent or skill points?
Currently, you can unlearn a skill, but not a talent.

At no other point in the Town Hall or FAQ do they mention talents. What are they? Are they trade skills, or special skills that are character-specific?

This is kinda on my mind with WoW because Diablo II taught me the importance skill distribution. "Aw man, you mean I can't take back those 5 skill points I put into Prayer?" You get the idea... :-)

Thanks.
Out here,
--Ajax
Talents are coming Real Soon™. We currently get talent points but can't use them for anything.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
In the previous push, you used Talent points to boost your attributes like strength, intelligence, stamina, etc. or spend them on skills that boost the damage of particular types of spells or reduce their mana cost. However, in the current push, they revamped the Skill system to make it so that one now uses skill points to boost one's attributes (at the cost of having fewer skill points available to learn trades) and they currently do not allow anyone to spend the Talent points they earn every time one levels while they revamp the Talent system. So, the whole thing is still under construction.
right.

Thanks.
Out here,
--Ajax
MongoJerry,Apr 29 2004, 12:04 AM Wrote:... they revamped the Skill system to make it so that one now uses skill points to boost one's attributes (at the cost of having fewer skill points available to learn trades) ...
But do note that there is actually an unlimited amount of skill points that can be earned. The skill points are awarded 1 per every 600 base experience of mobs that you kill prior to that experience being modified for the level difference or rest state exerience modifiers.

When helping one of the others in the beta with some quests, I had actually earned a couple of skill points even though I was getting zero experience due the level difference.

Also Mongo, note that the exerience system has changed in that even though I was earning zero experience, the other character was still earning experience as they they were partied with someone of level similar to their own. Having a high level in the party may not be as detrimental to the other players experience earning as it was in the beta 1 push.
Ruvanal,Apr 29 2004, 09:12 AM Wrote:Having a high level in the party may not be as detrimental to the other players experience earning as it was in the beta 1 push.
Now THAT is good news!
Bowa of the AB.
USEast - too many accts to list.
Bowa,Apr 29 2004, 10:04 AM Wrote:
Ruvanal,Apr 29 2004, 09:12 AM Wrote:Having a high level in the party may not be as detrimental to the other players experience earning as it was in the beta 1 push.
Now THAT is good news!
Nice to know you aren't holding us back Bowa. ;)

/waves to everyone
Cathan
The Amazon Basin
WoW Guild Admin