Why play Single Player?
The way I see it, there is one advantage to single player; players 8. In my opinion, that hardly cancels out all the great things about b.net; friends, lots of items, competition, and much more.

What are YOUR reasons for playing single player?

I'm not flaming ya, I'm just curious ;)
Lack of lag? Lack of desynch? Control over save files? Backup capability? SP characters you don't want to give up? Lack of stash gold death penalty? Mods? ATMA? Friends who also play SP? Control over D2 version? Lack of cheats, dupes, hacks, bots, scams, PKs, spam, etc.? Not having D2 on an Internet-capable computer?

Really, there are a whole lot of reasons why one would want to play SP. Personally, I was a SP player for a long time before switching to b.net (I haven't gone back since). If it weren't for the Amazon Basin, I'd still be SP only.
Lack of lag

Lack of desynch

SP characters you don't want to give up

Players 8

Friends who also play SP

Lack of cheats, dupes, hacks, bots, scams, PKs, spam, etc.

Those were my reasons until I met a group of people, via another forum, with whom I could play on B'net. That was sufficient to make me give up the first four advantages cited, and allows me to bypass the last one. B)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

No need to log in every few days just to stop the big happy Blizzard monster chomping on your delicious characters.

*Belch* "I could really go for a level 89 Amazon right now..."

Plus none of that "you have to play for two hours to solidify your character" crap. I choose when any of my characters bite the bullet.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Control over your own gaming experience, without relying on others. That's the main reason, and I exercize it.

Especially with the "others" that are being relied on as the whole "random annoying moron horde" that populates not only b.net, but any online gaming community, with a few exceptions.
adeyke,May 6 2004, 04:56 AM Wrote:Lack of lag?  Lack of desynch?  Control over save files?  Backup capability?  SP characters you don't want to give up?  Lack of stash gold death penalty?  Mods?  ATMA?  Friends who also play SP?  Control over D2 version?  Lack of cheats, dupes, hacks, bots, scams, PKs, spam, etc.?

If it weren't for the Amazon Basin, I'd still be SP only.
Wow...Those were the almost EXACT reasons I would say!

Here's my quote about the AB:

Quote:If it weren't for the Amazon Basin, I wouldn't even think about coming on bnet!

Great place... :wub:
DroopingCactus
Quote:Adeyke and people like him get tons of questions exactly like this one by people who're apparently too stupid to play without Maphack, too stupid to read the Help file that comes with the program, too stupid to turn off the socket protection when they're using Maphack, and too stupid to realize that they're stepping before the firing squad when asking questions like that in forums like this.
-AK404
No lag ; more of a challenge ; better for MF runs ; ATMA.
Quote:The way I see it, there is one advantage to single player; players 8.

Was Players 8 removed in 1.10? It was working just fine on 1.09, when I downloaded 1.10, it didn't work anymore for me...

... -- (I only played single-player for a whole year because I didn't know what b-net was... Now that I know, I don't play single-player anymore...)
The command was changed from players 8 to /players 8 (note the slash). Similarly, the fps command is now /fps.
What's fps? What does it stand for, and what does it do?
If you type /fps into your chat window, the game will print a readout telling you how many "frames per second" the game is displaying, and a few other things. The game is set to run at 25 fps on the server, so if you're getting less than that, then you're not seeing everything that happens. Keeping it on as you play for a while can also let you know if there are certain speciifc points that cause your fps to drop, so that you will know to avoid them in cluth situations (for me, it's the middle of Diablo's pentagram, so I never fight him on it).

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Oh ok, thanks!
If I actually had any friends online anymore I might consider b.net. As it is I haven't logged into it since Diablo 1.08 first came out ;-)
As of right now, I feel the thing I like most about single player, as was already mentioned, is the control over saving your characters.

There are times when I do not even log into Battle.net for more than three months at a time. (Rare, but it has happened.)

I like the idea of retaining my characters no matter how long I might be away.

Most of the other reasons mentioned are good as well.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Quote:I like the idea of retaining my characters no matter how long I might be away.

My mules they will expire in X days, but they never do! I've never had a character expire before.