Enchanted Shrines
Jarulf says that enchanted shrines can never be found as a goat shrine. Tonight, I was playing an IM game when I hit 2 goat shrines in a row: the first said "salvation comes at the cost of wisdom" (ornate shrine) and my warrior had holy bolt level 2 and the second said "magic is not always what it seems to be" (enchanted shrine) - however, my holy bolt stayed level 2. So is it possible that an enchanted shrine can appear as a goat shrine it's just that it doesn't work? An interesting bug if this is indeed the case.
A goat shrine on level 9 can never be an enchanted shrine, but a goat shrine on levels 4-8 most certainly can be. Very strange if it didn't have the usual effect.
Quote:A goat shrine on level 9 can never be an enchanted shrine, but a goat shrine on levels 4-8 most certainly can be. Very strange if it didn't have the usual effect.

I wish this weakwarrior dude would read things a little more carefully before he posted! Sheesh! But I'm still curious about the effect (or lack thereof). What if you have only 1 spell does the enchanted shrine still hit it? I can check that without using goat shrines.
Quote:I wish this weakwarrior dude would read things a little more carefully before he posted! Sheesh! But I'm still curious about the effect (or lack thereof). What if you have only 1 spell does the enchanted shrine still hit it? I can check that without using goat shrines.

I've just checked that. My rouge character level 17 had got only 1 spell, and that was healing spell level 1 and after taking enchanted shrine (normal one, not random) on dungeon level 3 spell remained on level 1.
And yesterday I had in IM, me as warrior with only 1 spell - healing on spell level 1 and I took goat shrine on dungeon level 6 and it was enchanted - spell remained on level 1.
So probably there is some additional rule that if you have only 1 spell ... smth.
For now we know that first all spells got +1 and then one of spells got -2 (it explains why 15 spell levels ends on level 13, when chosen to decrease). But it is not enough, because if character have 1 spell only, let say on spell level 2, he shall landed on spell level 1. And for spell level 1 on spell level 0. I don't know how exactly is that rule goes for it. Maybe just like if only 1 spell is known do nothing?
Quote:I've just checked that. My rouge character level 17 had got only 1 spell, and that was healing spell level 1 and after taking enchanted shrine (normal one, not random) on dungeon level 3 spell remained on level 1.
And yesterday I had in IM, me as warrior with only 1 spell - healing on spell level 1 and I took goat shrine on dungeon level 6 and it was enchanted - spell remained on level 1.
So probably there is some additional rule that if you have only 1 spell ... smth.
For now we know that first all spells got +1 and then one of spells got -2 (it explains why 15 spell levels ends on level 13, when chosen to decrease). But it is not enough, because if character have 1 spell only, let say on spell level 2, he shall landed on spell level 1. And for spell level 1 on spell level 0. I don't know how exactly is that rule goes for it. Maybe just like if only 1 spell is known do nothing?

That was what I was thinking, although there is no mention in Jarulf's guide that I could find. Can someone who can read code add input?
Quote:Can someone who can read code add input?

Without checking my notes, a quick re-read of the shrine code seems to suggest that it starts off by checking if you know at least 2 spells. If you don't, it skips the whole process. It's worth noting that if you learn a spell, have it reduced to level 0 by a shrine, and then hit another enchanted shrine, it is "known" for the purpose of this test, even though you cannot cast a level 0 spell.
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:20 PM' post='165856']
Without checking my notes, a quick re-read of the shrine code seems to suggest that it starts off by checking if you know at least 2 spells. If you don't, it skips the whole process. It's worth noting that if you learn a spell, have it reduced to level 0 by a shrine, and then hit another enchanted shrine, it is "known" for the purpose of this test, even though you cannot cast a level 0 spell.

Yes, the check for at least 2 known spells exists. No idea why I don't have that info in my Guide. I guess it is in part due to the shrine and its effect being well known and no real issue, problems or side effects existing as far as anyone could tell. No unknowns so to speak. I have focused on code that could answer such unknown issues. In the enchanted shrine code, my only notes was about the randomp pick of the spell to reduce as part of the general seed bug.

And yes, "known spell" is not the same as a spell above level 1. This should mean (without checking too much code again) that the spell picked to decrease by one (technically first raised by 1 with all other spells and then reduced by 2) can in fact be one that is at level 0 and will thus remain at level 0.

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.