Daggerzon
So shadow was talking about Daggerzons on another thread, and I'm all like 'WTF mate'. What does a daggerzon do? What items does it use?
She'd use a dagger as weapon and would only have points in the passive/magic skilltab.

Daggers are the weapon of choice because they, like javelins, give a fast block rate. Swinging weapons like swords and axes give a hideously slow block rate.
He said Daggerzon with passive skills only, if I remember correctly.

How hard is that to figure out? You use a dagger, so you can use a shield. Check Arreat Summit if you want to find some uber-dagger or shield to trade for, and then for the rest of the stuff just go for generic good-for-melee stuff. Or, if you're playing single player, you can wing it. That's pretty much all to be done there, since you can't really plan for equipment. I think it winging it is fun, though.

For the skills, you'd probably need a bunch of dodge, avoid and evade, along with lots of critical strike, and some penetrate. Becuase if you're going passive skills only, those are basically the only skills you'll have.
If daggers give such swell block rate, as well as javelins, why not use javs?
Because that'd be a javazon, not a daggerzon.
I looked at all the daggers, and none of them seemed particulary swell. Anybody made a viable daggerzon before?
I would not have suggested building one had I not seen one in action. :rolleyes:

There is a thread here at the Amazon Basin about them, for more details.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote: I looked at all the daggers, and none of them seemed particulary swell. Anybody made a viable daggerzon before?

Just about any of the Exeptional/Elite daggars would be good for a Daggerzon. Highlight daggers would be: Spineripper, Blackbogs Sharp, and Fleshripper would probably be the best. These all have a base weapon speed of -20. most of them have ITD or - target defense, slow target, and either prevent monster heal or large poison damage.

the exceptional and elite daggers have decent physical base damage and it is entirely possible to reach a 4 frame attack speed with a daggarzon. That's almost as fast as zeal. using a dagger gives you a low frame block rate so with max block, FHR, and all the passives you will have a daggerzon is probably one of, if not the best, tank in the game.
Ok, I read the thread, and here's what I learned...

A Daggerzon is designed to be an untouchable tanker character. The skill points that people said were swell in the thread are here:

20 Valkyrie
20 Decoy (synergy to valk)
20 Penetrate (always nice)
12 Critical Strike (diminishing returns afterwards)
12 Dodge (ditto)
12 Avoid (ditto)
12 Evade (ditto)

2 Prereqs

These are a lot of skills, but if you're the type who always brings their characters to 90+ assuming any other skill points would be dumped into Dodge/Evade/Avoid.

Stats:

Strength: Enough for equipment
Dexterity: Enough for max blocking
Vitality: All other points
Energy: Base

(all of this was taken from a poster 'pmak' on the Amazon Basin)

From what else I read on the thread, Fleshripper seems to be the dagger of choice, and stormshield is a shoe-in.

Thanks Shadow, and Amazon Basin :) I'm going to start my own Daggerzon on USWest, probably nonladder. Drop me a line.
Excuse me if im missing something, but it seems like the build wouldnt do much damage in hell.
I just dont see where the damage enhancment nessecary to kill anything in hell is coming from in that build.
And critical strike only doubles it, and thats when chance allows.
Wheres the killing damage coming from here? :huh:
Blue Eagle,Jun 7 2004, 02:17 AM Wrote:Excuse me if im missing something, but it seems like the build wouldnt do much damage in hell.
I just dont see where the damage enhancment nessecary to kill anything in hell is coming from in that build.
And critical strike only doubles it, and thats when chance allows.
Wheres the killing damage coming from here? :huh:
Speed.

From what I've seen, the dagger allows you to attack ridiculously fast. While the daggers are weaker, they they still do decent damage, and that, boosted by the speed and critical strike (the more times you attack in a certain period of time, the more chances you have for double damage), that provides a pretty good offense. Not to mention that the Decoy, Valk, Mercenary, and passive defense skills provide a tremendous defense, so you can just take a bit longer; it's not like you're taking so much damage.
Good. Now what about phys immunes? (Im using an act two might merc)
I suggest keeping a Ring of Amplify Damage ready. Once you find one, keep it in your inventory and switch once that pesky PI comes along. Or, bring a Necro to accompany you... ;)
Legend_of_Lugia,Jun 8 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:I suggest keeping a Ring of Amplify Damage ready. Once you find one, keep it in your inventory and switch once that pesky PI comes along. Or, bring a Necro to accompany you... ;)
I don't believe you can get Amplify Damage on a ring. You can get it on a dagger iirc however.
You cant get amplify damage charges anywhere except The Gavel of Pain

You can get CTC amplify damage on striking on any rare/magic weapon other than orbs, as well as Lacerator, The Cranium Basher, The Gavel of Pain, The Vile Husk, Witchwild String and Atma's Scarab.
How about a "Passion" weapon on switch for the Berserk oskill? Otherwise, a bunch of elemental charms and/or an Amp Damage weapon might work. If available, an Atma's Scarab could provide a PI solution and speed killing in other cases.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
adeyke,May 18 2004, 01:51 AM Wrote:She'd use a dagger as weapon and would only have points in the passive/magic skilltab.
Hi

If you play a genuine DaggerZon are you allowed to use throwing knives/axes to reach out and touch the opposition, or do you have to run around and just use your dagger?

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,Jun 9 2004, 03:37 AM Wrote:Hi

If you play a genuine DaggerZon are you allowed to use throwing knives/axes to reach out and touch the opposition, or do you have to run around and just use your dagger?

good karma
Well, if you use daggers, then I suppose you could probably use throwing daggers.

(I put emphasis on the important parts.)

I don't know if that would affect the block-speed, but if you're keeping your distance then that should matter too much.
Quote:I don't know if that would affect the block-speed

It doesn't.
Quote:If you play a genuine DaggerZon are you allowed to use throwing knives/axes to reach out and touch the opposition, or do you have to run around and just use your dagger?

I don't think people will come to your house with a gun and shoot your dog if you make a Throwing Daggerzon, but in the thread from the AB, they never said anything about ranged attacks. The Daggerzon was intended to be a party player; a tanker, who takes (or doesn't take) all of the hits, while party members lay down the real smack from afar.