Magic Finding Merc
I'm considering getting a Merc for my Magic Finding Sorc (fire/cold). What merc would serve best? I've hired an act 5 barb merc for now, and I've been leveling in in Baal runs.

The odd thing is, he doesn't seem to be getting nearly as much xp as a normal level 32 character would. It took me 4 runs just to level him once, and these were 6-8 player games. How do mercs get exp?
unrealshadow13,

You've posted a lot of questions lately. Clearly, you're interested in and enthusiastic about the game, which is great to see. However, much of the information you seek is relatively easy to find. You could search the Lurker Lounge or Amazon Basin forums, for starters. While I know that we haven't updated the Lurker Lounge front page as often as we could have, there's still quite a bit of information that you can find by browsing through the news archives or by visiting the links to the other great community sites.

In the case of hirelings, a good place to start would be this thread. Take some time to read through Crystalion's post and the replies. That's a lot of information to digest, but it does answer your question. Plus, by learning more about how hireling exp mechanics actually works, you gain an understanding that is far deeper than you might get in response to a simple question.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm or stifle discussion. But, I am asking you to make at least some effort to find an answer to your question before creating a new thread. If you do some reading, and still end up creating a thread, chances are the information that you picked up while searching for your own answers will lead to a more in-depth and interesting discussion. So, everybody wins.

Thanks.

edit- now that I've added a sig, I can't remember to stop typing my name after my posts. :(
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
My real question was what merc do you guys, as in people on THIS FORUM, think is the most suitable merc. I realize I could probably find answers to my questions elsewhere, but am I to be persecuted for wanting advice form this particular community?

The question about the Merc experience was more of an afterthought to the real question. I will read your thread, and no longer ask questions.
unrealshadow13,May 19 2004, 11:21 AM Wrote:My real question was what merc do you guys, as in people on THIS FORUM, think is the most suitable merc. I realize I could probably find answers to my questions elsewhere, but am I to be persecuted for wanting advice form this particular community?

The question about the Merc experience was more of an afterthought to the real question. I will read your thread, and no longer ask questions.
I believe you have mistook the meaning of Griselda's gentle post. She's not asking you to forgo asking questions completely. She's letting you know that some of the questions you've asked recently were ones you could have found the answer to by using the search function. I'd also like to state that in my opinion you're not being "persecuted" for asking questions by Griselda. If you think that what Griselda posted is persecution than you'll be in for a rude awakening when it actually occurs. ;)

At any rate to answer your question you'll do just fine with an Act 5 Barb with a MF sorc. You don't have a pressing need for the auras that an Act 2 merc can provide like other classes and don't really need additional elemental damage that an Act 3 can provide. This leaves just the Act 1 and Act 5 mercs and of the two I would choose the Act 5 for its ability to tank. Though an Act 1 with a good setup would serve you just as well.