Bushido Warrior Question
I decided to start a Bushido warrior as a contrast to my NM and BARs. So I checked out the rules from the variants archive from the Sylvan Cliffs more closely and looked at the rules from Realms Beyond. The rules from the archive seem to indicate that the only swords allowed are Short, Falchion, Long, Two Handed and Great, but the rules on Realms see to indicate any sword will do as long as a Wakizashi (Short, Falchion or Long) are carried on your person. It seems like a large gap between Long and Two Handed if the first case, and I will really miss using Broad and Bastard swords.

Either way I am not too attached to my Bushido so far, and have no problem starting over. I'm still getting used to not having a shield. Talk about needing good tactics, archers eat me alive if I'm not careful. The Butcher is really not that hard the second time through the first two levels. The Bushido is a very fun and challenging way to play.
Heh, another bushido! If your ever in need of help, or just a partner, Kencheeks Hamura the Ronin Bishounen Hamster is always up for a challenge.

Now then, as for your question: personally I go by the Variant Archive rules set...it kind of makes more "sense" that a Bushido Warrior is restricted to their Wakizashi: it seems like a good addition to the code of bushido. And hey, by the time you can actually get broad/bastard swords it wont really matter, since your great sword will get you more damage without any negative tradeoff :-D
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Urza-DSF,May 23 2004, 01: Wrote:Heh, another bushido!  If your ever in need of help, or just a partner, Kencheeks Hamura the Ronin Bishounen Hamster is always up for a challenge.
Sounds wonderful. Let me get up in levels and get used to the Bushido way and I'll let you know.

Urza-DSF,May 23 2004, 01: Wrote:And hey, by the time you can actually get broad/bastard swords it wont really matter, since your great sword will get you more damage without any tradeoff :-D
Thats the thing. Gris offered me a Broad sword of skill, wich I purchased. The I realized the rules may disallow that. His normal weapons at that time only went up to Claymore. I'll start over, the wiser from what I have learned. I just hope this time I do not get archers on level 2 three times in a row again. Where are those bandaids.

I wonder if the rules on the Realms could be updated?
Hmmm...thats a bit of a tough one, but heres one rule about variants: make what you want of them :). If your ok with using any one-handed sword, then go for it. There's no "variant rules police" that'll crack down on you for changing up some rules. I'd say to just make sure that what your doing is in the "spirit" of the variant, and everything'll be fine from there.
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

Yes, I know there are no rules police, but I would know the difference. If the intended spirit is that the Bushido uses only two certain type of swords, I would rather use just those two type of swords. I like to follow the rules and spirit as close as possible. And when I start a new variant I usually start with a sacrificial character that will be deleted. It takes a while to get used to the rules, and the second time around I do much better. I did the same thing with my warrior BAR and my GOTH. And my Rogue BAR is even better than my second Warrior BAR.
Heh, not a problem then ^_^ I'd say go for the deletion and have fun with the new incarnation. By the way any idea what path he'll following?
-Urza

Quote:The rules from the archive seem to indicate that the only swords allowed are Short, Falchion, Long, Two Handed and Great, but the rules on Realms see to indicate any sword will do as long as a Wakizashi (Short, Falchion or Long) are carried on your person.

Unless my memory's fuzzy, it went something like this: I asked Charis about that same issue when I was playing my Bushidos, and he said Wakizaski/Katana only. And that's how I always played it, so I made that distinction clear in the archive. The D2 Bushido similarly restricts to Wakizashi/Katana (though also adds staves).

Quote:Either way I am not too attached to my Bushido so far, and have no problem starting over.

You wouldn't need to start over just because of the sword issue. After all, the RBD rules don't specify only Waki/Katana. If you prefer that rule, start using it. If not, don't. I rather like it because it excludes the base types most players want, adding another level of uniqueness to the BW. And it makes more sense to me from the perspective of the role.

Quote:I'm still getting used to not having a shield. Talk about needing good tactics, archers eat me alive if I'm not careful. ... The Bushido is a very fun and challenging way to play.

Isn't it, though? It's one of my favorite Warrior variants.

-Lem
I'm not sure about my path yet. I'm thinking Slaughter, but i'm not positive yet.
LemmingofGlory,May 23 2004, 03:37 PM Wrote:You wouldn't need to start over just because of the sword issue.
I really should have been more clear about this in my original post. I was planning on scraping my first try. It takes me a little while to get used to the rules. My first BAR was a fiasco. I don't remember what happened, but it was not pretty. MY first try at a GOTH got of to a bad start before I left town. Rules say, only certain weapons, bow is fine. So I buy a bow. Then I notice the no visiting towns folk. Dropped the bow and my gold and headed down. Found a mace and started slaying skeletons, oops, no maces alowed. And on it went. My second GOTH had no such problems, even found a book of HB before killing the butcher. And now with my second BW Gris sold me a nice Falchion of quality, that extra point really does help.

My BW is Larnark[BW]. If any one is interested in a game let me know.
Quote:My first BAR was a fiasco. I don't remember what happened, but it was not pretty. MY first try at a GOTH got of to a bad start before I left town. Rules say, only certain weapons, bow is fine. So I buy a bow. Then I notice the no visiting towns folk. Dropped the bow and my gold and headed down. Found a mace and started slaying skeletons, oops, no maces alowed. And on it went.

Iorance, you're a man after my own heart! ;)

What is it they say about reading the entire recipe and getting out all the ingredients before you start to cook? They say that, but I rarely do it, and the food turns out just fine.

Really, that bit above made me ... think of ... me! :ph34r:
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Sabra,May 23 2004, 10:04 PM Wrote:Iorance, you're a man after my own heart!  ;)
Shush. Don't tell my wife.

Sabra,May 23 2004, 10:04 PM Wrote:What is it they say about reading the entire recipe and getting out all the ingredients before you start to cook? They say that, but I rarely do it, and the food turns out just fine.
Well. I can't cook. My wife can cook great, with, without or ignoring the recipe. She makes a mean chilli by just dumping stuff in a pot based on the smell alone. I have a hard time with Kraft mac & cheese. I code much better than I cook.

I saw the rules for the GOTH and thought it was interesting. Very complex, but interesting. So I read the rules over and over. I finally worked up the nerve to try it out. The only problem is the rules are so complex, and bits that are important at the beginning are hidden in the middle. I knew from the start my first try would most likely fail. And like my second GOTH my second Bushido worked out great.

Btw: Happy birthday.