Half-Life 2 & Doom 3
Greetings Lurkers,

I find it hard to contain myself just waiting for more news, screenshots, trailers, etc. concerning these games. And I was just starting to wonder how many Lurkers share my anxiety. I am a big Half-Life fan and have been since it was released. As for Doom 3, I have always liked the Doom series and was very suprised to learn of its unveiling at Quake Con 2003, almost as shocked as I was to find out about Half-Life 2. Both of these games look unbelieveable. So all that having been said: What are your opinions/feelings towards each of these games?

Nomad25055 :blink:
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
I'm positively wetting myself in anticipation.

Doom3 looks like a damned Pixar flick, and it's rumored to be pants-soiling frightening.

The Source engine (HL2) has an amazing physics system; I remember watching a trailer (the most recent, I think), where Gordon aimed the LAW in between crosspieces of a tower's structuring, behind an alien of some kind, and blew the poor bastard fifty virtual meters into a wooden pier. After I stopped laughing, I realized how fun the physics are going to make this game (and Vampire: Bloodlines.) It's unfortunate that the gravity gun that's always being shown in the trailers isn't going to be an actual in-game weapon, but only something accessible via the debug mode.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I'd be more interested in those games if I didn't need the latest and greatest computer hardware to run them. The visuals certainly look stunning, but I can't see myself shelling out the $bling$ I'd need to just to get them to run.

Then again, I've never really been a huge FPS fan in the first place.
Play FarCry, you'll be a hundred times less excited for HL2 and Doom3 than you were before you played it.

edit: sup DeeBye, this is the place to chill while SA is down B)
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
Omega,May 27 2004, 11:05 PM Wrote:edit: sup DeeBye, this is the place to chill while SA is down  B)
sup Omega

TEAM BARRY!
True. While these games are going to require some serious hardware I for one am not all that worried. I have what I need figured out with the exception of one thing. The CPU. If i knew about what i would NEED to run them (more concerned with HL2. From what I have read/seen and heard Doom 3 will be the @!%$& to run) then I would be a little more at ease. All I have to do is wait for them to be released (I think HL2 will be out in September which will be a very nice birthday present :D). The trailer(s) that I have seen for each are enough to make me drool. I've seen some very impressive things done with the physics on HL2. And the gravity gun can be put to some very creative use from what I have seen. HL2 looks to be and all around great game. I haven't seen/heard too much about Doom 3 but from what I do know I feel I can safely say that it will be an impressive and somewhat frightening game. The light shading and shadows on that game are VERY realistic. I have a feeling that most of the games atmosphere will be drawn from this area. The rest will most likely be wasting all your ammo on something you THOUGHT you saw move in the shadows, and then having to run around with nothing but your fists :P .

Nomad25055 :rolleyes:
Quote:I'd be more interested in those games if I didn't need the latest and greatest computer hardware to run them.

Doom3 at least will be out on the XBox (viva la console gaming). Half-Life 2... I don't know for sure, but I'd assume it will make the cross as well.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I would be suprised if HL2 made the leap to the PS2. Xbox would be more believable. I think HL2 would be more likely to debut on the PS3. But thats just my opinion.
Quote:I think HL2 would be more likely to debut on the PS3. But thats just my opinion.

Agreed.
Speaking of hardware, what video cards do you think would be able to run HL2? The obvious choices are the 6800 Ultra and the X800 Platinum Edition, but what else do you think has a good chance of running it somewhat smoothly? While its true that we won't know what it will take to run it as of yet (CPU, RAM, Video cards, Sound cards) we can still speculate :P . I sure hope my MSI mobo can handle what its going to take :unsure:

Nomad25055 B)
Nomad25055,May 28 2004, 05:15 PM Wrote:Speaking of hardware, what video cards do you think would be able to run HL2? The obvious choices are the 6800 Ultra and the X800 Platinum Edition, but what else do you think has a good chance of running it somewhat smoothly?
There were some ATI Radeon 9600 XTs that came bundled with a coupon for a copy of HL2, so I'd assume that it would run it. If so, a 9800 Pro or XT should have no trouble with it at decent resolutions and quality settings.
You mean something like this? 9600 SE 128mb AGP I had some high hopes when i saw this card.
Nomad25055,May 28 2004, 08:40 PM Wrote:You mean something like this? 9600 SE 128mb AGP  I had some high hopes when i saw this card.
That's a HL2 bundle? Wow, I'd be truly amazed if a 9600 SE ran HL2 at any sort of decent framerate. That being said though, a 9600 SE plus a free copy of HL2 for $130 is a pretty okay deal.
Indeed. I now find myself wondering how well it will run HL2 :lol: .
The SE line of Radeon cards are cheap because they are underclocked and come bunbled with slower RAM. It's like buying a Ferarri that's modified to only fire six of its ten pistons.

Although I'm tempted to say you're better off getting a lower model for the same price, the 9200 is quite poor overall. You're better off coughing up the money for a 9600XT then plan on not upgrading for a few years.
:blink: What in the heck is going on here?!?! ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb AGP I am beginning to suspect something here :ph34r:

Nomad25055 :unsure:
Nomad25055,May 28 2004, 09:17 PM Wrote::blink:  What in the heck is going on here?!?!  ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb AGP I am beginning to suspect something here  :ph34r:

Nomad25055 :unsure:
I don't see the problem.
Its also a HL2 bundle. I am unsure whats going on here but I think that ATI might be including HL2 with their cards.
That's exactly what they're doing.

It's not really a card-specific offer, but basically spread all across the Radeon 9xxx line.
Well thats nice to know. Screw Nvidia, ATI all the way!! :P BTW ATI is taking entries for a random drawing. Grand Prize: One (1) Velocity Micro - Gamer's Edge 1500 Computer System. And 4 additional prizes of: One (1) ATI RADEON™ X800 PRO 256MB. The best part is, when you enter if you know the names and Email addy's of 4 friends and input them, you will be given 4 additional entries. So you can have a total of 5 entries. Odds of winning = Not very good. But I can dream :D

Nomad25055 B)

[EDIT]

Velocity Micro
Gamer's Edge 1500 Computer System
Value: $1800.00 USD

System Specifications:

* Limited Edition CM210 Black Aluminum Full Tower Case with Side Window and Case Lights
* AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CPU
* Abit KV8-MAX3 Motherboard
* ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Graphics
* 512MB RAM (Mushkin)
* 16x/48x Lite-On DVD-ROM
* Western Digital 40GB Hard Drive
* 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
* Windows XP Home Edition