Smite
I am building my first ever Smite Paladin. :o Now he is planned to be an oddball character and this will have some impacts on how I build him. Basically, he will play naked except for his shield.

I have noted one real oddity. Smiting seems to wear out my weapon, and not my shield. The plan was to equip low end items and then let them wear out so as not to accidentally equip items in the field. But this now has me wondering what that does to Smite. Will I keep on Smiting for regular Smite damage even if I have a worn out sceptre equipped?

Next, what attributes impact my Smite damage? I will, of course, need sufficient strength to equip the shield. But how much will additional strength impact on this and in what way?

Dexterity will be needed, I assume, to keep my shield block up. I am, I am sorry to say, hazy about how much will be needed given that I will be maxing Holy Shield as well as Smite. How will it impact on my need for dexterity, especially since I will be woefully lacking in life without any other equipment or charms? Keeping blocking at a maximum will be important, but I don't want to squander points I could save for vitality.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer a woefully ignorant wannabe Variant Scum™. :)

Edit: I might have known more questions would occur to me. :(

Will a shield with Enhanced Damage make any difference to the Smite damage? If so, which would serve better to socket that shield - a plus to minimum damage jewel or a plus % damage jewel?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi

As far as I know your attack speed with Smite is dependent on the attack speed of your weapon, so if you play "naked" you are handicapping yourself.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,May 28 2004, 12:02 PM Wrote:Hi

As far as I know your attack speed with Smite is dependent on the attack speed of your weapon, so if you play "naked" you are handicapping yourself.
Hmm.....

More questions keep arising.

Is that affected by the fact that the weapon is worn out? i.e. If, for example, I was holding a worn-out scimitar of quickness, would that still make me Smite fast?

I know that goes against the naked part, but now I am wondering about mechanics again. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Um, as far as I know the state of your weapon plays no role as long it still is usable :unsure:

Have you tried Smite whilst equipped with an etheral weapon?
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Heiho,

if your weapon is worn out, its boni disappear. This also applies to the attack spped boni, both the base attack speed and magic bonus like 'of quickness', because your 'weapon' is your bare fist then, and a Pala is slower with his fist than with an appropriate swinging weapon.

Smite won't work with
Deadly Strike (in case you want to play naked, but with jewelry)
elemental and poison damage (in case you want to hold some charms in inv)
min/maxdam (charms ...)
Holy Shock
Leech (jewelry, but Life Tap would work)
Open Wounds

Smite works with
Crushing Blow (no chance if playing naked)
%Enhanced Damage (global/to Undead/Demons), but not from the weapon
Hit blinds Target (no chance if playing naked)
Hit causes Monster to flee (same)
Hit freezes Target (same)
Hit slows Target (same)
Might
Concentration
Fanatism
Sanctuary (only against Undead)

HTH
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Hi

I know from bitter experience that Smite and Holy Shock don't mix, but how about Smite and Holy Freeze :rolleyes:

Hopefully
Prophecy of Deimos
librarian,May 28 2004, 09:11 PM Wrote:Smite won't work with
Open Wounds
I think this is accurate to v1.09. ;)
In fact ,i believe the OW mod works better than others with smite in v1.10.
HOLY Clan
Realm: Asia3 Hardcore
CHN Forums Id: Louis-J
They can harmonize with troubled waters,and bring it to cleanness little by little. They can move with stability,and make life little by little Sustainable.
I started making a Smiter yesterday, and I notice that there is no 'Attack Rating' box under the character sheet, and no chance to hit. I don't hit all the time with smite. Is this because there is a hidden chance to hit/miss, or because they ran away? Is smite supposed to hit 100% of the time?
Smite hits all the time. You can't even block it. The only skills working against it are weapon block and the dodge tree.
Smite definitely works with Open Wounds in 1.10.

Smite does not get any bonus from one's weapon % damage...but it supposedly DOES get bonuses from your Strength and Dex like the weapon itself. This means that a dagger-class weapon (where you get more damage per Str and Dex point than, say, a sword) would do more damage even though not reflected on the Lying Character Screen™.

Smite misses moving opponents fairly easily, possibly because it is extremely short-ranged. If an opponent is running, I switch to Vigor, get ahead of him, hold down shift, and "smite air" until he moves into range and gets stunned. Once stunned/knocked back, you can generally push him into an obstacle and destroy him.

Smite won't stun uniques or champs, but it will throw just about anything into hit recovery, and a fast smite can completely neutralize one dangerous opponent such as an Extra-Strong Might boss. Good luck with the minions, though. Of course, if you have a party to help....

Sailboat
IIRC smite range depends on the weapon range. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Caaroid,Jun 16 2004, 05:43 PM Wrote:IIRC smite range depends on the weapon range. Correct me if I am wrong please.
I think so.
But if you're a bare fist or with a weapon worked out,what's the range?Maybe 1?
Also,the smite speed only depends on your weapon's,so a bare fist's WSM=?
HOLY Clan
Realm: Asia3 Hardcore
CHN Forums Id: Louis-J
They can harmonize with troubled waters,and bring it to cleanness little by little. They can move with stability,and make life little by little Sustainable.
ive been using for a lOONG time angelic, for the damn speed, switched to lightsabre @ lvl 53 and after that to azure, for the coollooking aura+skills and nice speed
maybe that aestrons is nice too