Weird problem...
So I'm playing along in act3, and then Diablo II minimized. I assumed at first that somebody had sent me an instant message, but instead I got this error in an alert window:

Halt
Expression: Error decompressing sprite=Possible corruption in data file: COTRlitWLhth

No idea what it means, but I see sprite in there, and that worries me. Why isn't the sprite decompressing? After this came up, diablo ii crashed and this alert box came:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
ACCESS_VIOLATION(c0000005)

Anybody have any idea what's going on? I'm probably going to reinstall. It has happened several times, but only in Act 3.
Quote:Halt
Halt
Expression: Error decompressing sprite=Possible corruption in data file: COTRlitWLhth

The COTRlitWLhth is the coding for one one the animation pieces for something. The coding breakdown is like this

CO= indexes monster or chracter type. Sorry, I ma not sure at the moment which it is due those files being on a currently unmounted HDD. I do know that it is not one of the player or hireling files though and should be a monster that you were just coming up on.

TR= trunk or torso animation piece. This in some cases is the only piece that exists for some monsters.

lit= usually denotes a light armor or non-armor graphic in case there can be multile forms for display.

WL=walking animation (current mode of the mob)

hth= hand to hand for the weapon type that they are employing. The usual default for most of the monsters in the game. Would be different for characters and hirelings to reflect the types of weapons or shields that they may be holding since the game needs to know how to handle the clipping of the graphics for display.

This may look like a very serious problem, but it really is not. When dealling with large files like the MPQs stored on the HDDs there is a chance now and then that the OS (Messy Slops Windoze) may on occasion accidently overwrite some HDD sectors and corrupt a portion of a file. Or one of the data bits in that section may have just not been read or maintained its state properly. The quick attempt solution to this is to try recopying the appropriate MPQ files from the orginal disks. Since I do not have the listing for what 'CO' is calling you will need to do both the orginal and exansion MPQs. These would be the d2data.mpq from the orginal disks and the d2exp.mpq from the expansion disk.

edit: Swapped out the HDDs and looked up what 'CO' is. This is the coding for one of the ambient critters you see in act 3; the snake is crawling around in some areas. You should be able to get by with just recopying the d2data.mpq file from the orginal disks.
I reinstalled. Works fine.
Good to know that error messages are not merely secretive languages only know by blizzard employees :)

As far as the overwriting due to Messy Slops Windoze, I'm overjoyed for Linus Torvald

Here's to hopes that some day Linux gaming will take off with gaming companies! Or at least hop? Move? At least show signs of new life? Twitch? :blink:

:lol:
Let's off this topic to oblivion, shall we?

Quote:Here's to hopes that some day Linux gaming will take off with gaming companies!

For that to happen, Linux has to spread. While there are government initiatives in various countries (no, not the US :P), one would need a truly easy-to-use interface (supposedly achieved by the latest SuSE), and the abolition of the .doc economies (everyone and their mother uses the ms-constructed -- and rather inferior -- office solutions). Then, and only then, would there be a chance of the gaming industry noting the Linux community (with the exception of BioWare, we love you guys), and even in that case Linux'd need better 3d support (DirectX, anyone?).
Barring a coup led by highly educated technology loving individuals in every government, fully supported Linux gaming will always be a dream. But even if that was done. closed source games on an open source platform won't win many supporters.

It was my silly way of wishing for something a bit more stable than the "want to throw my computer out the" Windows operating system. ;)

-Munk
Edit: I need sleep. Fixed some grammar mistakes.
I got a similar problem only that my code is:
SORAlitA11hs
What's the meaning of it?
Heiho,

you play a sorc (SO) with 'lightly' armoured (lit) right arm (RA) and a one-handed used swinging weapon (1hs), and the graphics for this while using standard attack animation (A1) is defective.
Same problem, same solution: a fresh installation should help.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB