Have you been hit by malware?
Has any of you lurkers been hit by any form of malware (MALicious softWARE)? My computer got hit a few days ago and its been a pain in the you know where to wipe my computer clean of this stuff. Luckily I have found a forum and some shareware to clean spyware and adware from my computer. I just wanted to see if any of my fellow lurkers have had the same problems?
**Paul**
I will make weapons from your bones--Smith
"I am pond scum"--Bull Shannon from Night Court
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
First time I ever ran Adware, I had 61 or so, most of them being tracking cookies. Since then the only things I've had were Viewpoint Media Player and Wildtangent (and for that, AOL can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Stick to the older versions of AIM -> 5.2 or prior).

Firefox + Not using spyware-loaded software like Kazaa. No problems here ;)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Me neither. First time I ran Ad-Aware, I got tons of stuff, but now that I switched to Firefox, I got only 6. I attribute those six to my parents, who still use IE. And my sister moved out, so that helps, also. :) So what I'm trying to say here is use Firefox! :)
I have those Windows updates, Spybot,spywareblaster, iespyads, Adaware, and Firefox.
Warning: Some programs claim to clean your computer of malware, but are actualy malware themselves.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I remember I've been hit by an extremely annoying malware, the bloody thing kept switching my homepage to some god forsaken website which I cannot remember and always popped up some windows whenever I opened a page etc'.

After getting Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster I removed A LOT of spyware and the such but that praticular malware did not cease to exist, apperantly it installed itself on my computer and it mimic a windows update hotfix, after removing some other windows update hotixes (which could've been malware too since it seems my Windows Update didn't have anything new) I finally got rid of this, oh the cry of joy I unleashed after defeating that horrible foe :)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I've been using Ad-Aware for some time now. Is there something I should know about it?

* Zarathustra is clueless
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Jun 4 2004, 05:22 PM Wrote:I've been using Ad-Aware for some time now.  Is there something I should know about it?

* Deadlyman is clueless

Z,
Having Ad-Aware is good. It will scan your system for the bad stuff. Its stuff like tracking cookies, browser hijackers, key-loggers and other spyware/adware thats bad. Ad-Aware and other anti-spyware products will scan for and get rid of the aforementioned stuff.

Since all of us are gamers on here, I thought this would be something worthwile to share.
**Paul**
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
I was clean for a long time, until earlier this week when my step sister decided to download Kazaa again, after I have told them ALL (5 other people live in this house, 3 step sisters, Dad, step Mom) not to put anything on this computer without asking me first if it is ok. I almost had a heart attack when I saw what they did, it was only on for 3 hours and I alreayd had 3 viruses and 188 malware programs. :angry: Took me an hour and a half to clean everything from all that crap running slowing the scanning and cleaning. Harumph!
WWBBD?
Someone posted a very good thread about some good, free porgrams that didn't contain any themselves. I can't remember when it was, but wasn't more than a month and a half. I got some of the stuff there, and have been using it to keep my computer clean since.
Quark,Jun 4 2004, 06:46 AM Wrote:Firefox + Not using spyware-loaded software like Kazaa.  No problems here ;)
I have downloaded firefox now. I am quite impressed with it. It took me a few minutes to realize that I still had my favorites from IE lol. But they were out of order. :angry:
I like the options part of it. So user friendly. I am going to see how my company's website works on here. I cant rememeber offhand if we support firefox or not. I will have to find out on Monday. My work website is ups.com. The big thing is whether labels would show up and print.

I would love to hear Bolty's take on the subject of malware, since he is a systems admin.
**Paul**
You think that's bad?

My home computer had an unfortunate accident when my sister's boyfriend decided to use Internet Explorer on it (even though Mozilla was the default, who knows how he even found IE with what I've done with that system). It got so bad that I had to tell them to turn it off (in case of dialers) and wait till I had time on the weekend to clean it up.

I wanted to get here, clean it, and head back to school real quick. I spent 5 hours cleaning that sucker, much of it manually because a bunch of junk wasn't classified as malware but I still didn't want it there.

Now IE is even more hidden on the system, ActiveX is completely disabled excluding for windowsupdate.com, and I've barred him from installing programs on the computer.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
well about kazaa use kazaa lite its back up and nothing "extra" included like kazaa regular has (aka spyware)

there are 2 great programs i use in tandom to remove spyware

they are adware 6 and spybot search and destroy

both can be downloaded for free with out viruses and no spyware at www.pcworld.com just search for them, because i dont have my pc world mags in front of me :P
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
FunkyfooKarate,Jun 5 2004, 05:50 AM Wrote:well about kazaa use kazaa lite its back up and nothing "extra" included like kazaa regular has (aka spyware)
I use Kazaa lite for the very reason. Unfornuately, they dont have any updated versions anymore :angry:
**Paul**
yes i agree its quite bs, they have been shut down once before, they alos added an ip blocker (tottaly inneffective)

but its the only good option to choose from, all hail shareware (with OUT viruses)
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
FunkyfooKarate,Jun 5 2004, 06:18 AM Wrote:they have been shut down once before, they alos added an ip blocker (tottaly inneffective)
Didn't realize that the IP blocker was ineffective. :huh: I have been lucky then. OT, the best the record companies can solve their little problems is to have a 3 month moritorium (sp) on singles before it can be downloaded. After that it then its free.
**Paul**
lol yea i thought i was da bomb with 10000's of songs downloded (to back up my cd files ;P ;P) but then i read that in a email somewheres and i freaked i did a jump dive jack chan style to un plug the brodban cable.
"Here, this is sharp!"
"We could try to"
Quark, Obi2, and Archon
Thanks for letting for know about Firefox. I have been using it since you posted here about it. I am close to making it my default browser and just using IE for Windows updates. Firefox has been smooth as jelly. I really love the download manager. Much, much better then IE. Why does Evil Bill have so much of us brainwashed into thinking that his Mudcrosort is the only way to go? :blink:
**Paul**
hey deadly can you give the web site where you got that from much obliged thanks
"Here, this is sharp!"
"We could try to"
Once I purchase my new box, I'm moving to Linux! They won't know how to do anything on there, bahaha! :rolleyes:
WWBBD?
FunkyfooKarate,Jun 5 2004, 08:19 AM Wrote:hey deadly can you give the web site where you got that from much obliged thanks
Funky, check your PMs. I PMed you the link
**Paul**