THe ongoing debate, one skill tree sorc
does the postives out weigh the negtives? i currently have a lvl 34 sorc all cold and im kicking azz, once in a while i get a unique immune to cold, but i pick up the pace with ranged wepons such as crossbow 4 socketed with 4 perf topazes. my main attack is Ice blast. any thoughts or anything really
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
i also found out that having like fireball chain lighting and blizzard type of sorcs (and the like) do help but by specializing you get 110% more dmg for less, if you get what im saying
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
FunkyfooKarate,

If I have to go to this much trouble for every single one of your posts, I think it's a sign that you should read the FAQ, rules, and etiquette.

This thread has been moved from the Workshop to the Armory.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
First I make it a rule to have a minimum of 1 skill point in ALL SKILLS just in case it does come in handy. It makes the bonuses that give you Points to All skill levels or all of certain types of skills a little more valuable.

Then I do conentrate heavily on a handfull of what I consider to be my more valuable skills. As a Paladin. My favourites are:

Healing. But, I only use it through My "Meditation". So ,iget my mana and My life points both!!

Holy Freeze!! Cold is my favourite as well. It has the least amount of Immunes. And, comes with a 3rd bonus of slowing down %99 of my oppents by over %53 of there speed. And, an ocassional 4th bonus of turning there bodies in melting ice cubes so they can't be resurrected!!

and a few others. Buuuuuuttttt!!

The trick to making this work in your favour is to make all of your ADD ON damage different. Meaning make all the bonuses added to your sockets, charms and what's used by your Mercenary(Merc should allways be the Archer) into Fire and Lightning!!

that way you allways have a little something on the side for the Immunes who make the mistake of expecting me to be a pushover. ;)

Between the charms and the socketed bonuses on my weapon. And, my Mercs heavily socketed for Lightning and fire.

I still have plenty on the side for the Ocassional Immune. but, do keep a MINIMUM of 1 skill point in all other spells. The bonuses to add skill points won't work on ones that have Zero. And, you never know when you might want that particular skill for something.

Example. I never use "Vigor" for fighting. But, when I foudn that I had just clicked on the "Experience" shrine. But, I allready killed all the monsters in that area. This means I have to haul arse to where there at just in time to get there with no Stamina left to fight with. But, even at Level 1. My Vigor spell got me there with some stamina to spare real fast.

Then I switched back my level 15 Holy Freeze for some serious demon stomping.

It should also be noted that most spells also give INACTIVE bonuses to other spells.

So, I do go for cramming on what I use the most. But, I also make sure to have a MINIMUM of one point in the rest to play it safe and for a variety of bonuses to fall back on just in case. ;) Jim http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simthemedmain/
I like one element sorc's. Always have preferred them. A + in my book for sure.

Reasoning will arrive tomorrow, along with a clear thought process.

Am I allowed to make a 'pre-edit' announcement like that? :P

-Munk
Your post has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand.

If I may be frank, it would be prudent to only discuss those topics about which you're actually knowledgeable. Diablo II strategy is not one of them.
JimBrownTx,Jun 12 2004, 05:47 PM Wrote:First I make it a rule to have a minimum of 1 skill point in ALL SKILLS just in case it does come in handy. It makes the bonuses that give you Points to All skill levels or all of certain types of skills a little more valuable.
This can be useful in the case of certain skills, but is most definately not a rule that can be generalised for all classes, and especially not the sorc.
The paladin will have some benefit of 1 point in all skills since many are one point wonders (e.g. vigor, cleansing, meditation, salvation etc.)

However the sorceress only has a few one point wonders (a cold armor, ES, TK, Teleport), and all the rest of her skills are just different methods of dealing damage (apart from warmth, which is not really a one point skill IMO)

If you scatter your points over 20 different damage dealing skills that
a ) cannot be used simultaneously
b ) are not synergies of each other
c ) (to a lesser extent) aren't of a different damage type to your 'main' skill

Then you are spending 20 skill points in things that wont help ever.

Much the same reason why barbs don't usually have one point in each different mastery (cant use them simultaneously so at least 4 are wasted points in the long run), zons don't usually have one point in all skills (especially since the bow and spear tabs can't be used simultaneously).

Necros can afford to have one point in many (though not neccessarily all) skills. Curse tree for instance are all one point wonders, skels golems and revives and an offensive skill (spear etc.) can be used simultaneously and even the different golems have situational uses (and synergies with each other

As to the specific case of sorcs in the original question. I would say that more than one tree depends on your playing situation. Are you single player or multi, HC or SC, usually play in parties with a group of people, or solo or pubbies?

If you have a common group (eg. the Amazon Basin (plug plug)) you can afford to stay with one tree so that you will be more effective against those monsters that are immune to your damage.

If you are solo then you either will need one of the following three approaches as far as I can see:
1) Stay one tree and don't attack things that are immune to you (Very hard in hell but can be done)
2) Stay one tree and get a merc with a different damage type to you (E.G. meteor sorc with an a2 or a5 merc). This is a reasonable option for those that don't mind occasionally taking the time and have the ability and or gear to keep their merc alive. Can be a lot slower going in hell though
3) Go multiple trees so that you have a couple of options. In regard to sorcs, if you are two trees I would go with a main skill in lightning or fire, and have a cold one as a secondary (or vice versa) since the resistance cutting ability of cold mastery is quite handy, and you can get a useful FO or such with 20 in FO and a few points in CM if you can't afford more due to your investment in your main skill.

Hope that helps
I find it VERY frustrating to have a character that can only kill in party. A one-tree sorc is such a character. In act5, you'll always find immunes to one element, and it can get real tedious if you want to work around them.

My favorite sorceress of the time uses meteor-fireball-mastery, and a 20+1 point orb. This allows her to kill the non-FIs relatively fast, but also allows her to kill the occasional FI packs as well. With the help of her rogue mercenary, she even manages to kill Travincal in a 2-player game (FI CI Council bosses with static-tk-merc take a long time, but can be done).

It's only my personal preference, and it all depends on your play style, AND the goal of your sorceress. If she's an MFer, with particular areas in mind, you can safely go one-tree (Andy and Meph can both be run by single-tree sorceresses if you can ignore the immunes around you; several lev85 areas have limited immunities, etc.). Also, if you go PVP, a one-tree sorc is mandatory.
Caaroid,Jun 12 2004, 04:54 AM Wrote:I find it VERY frustrating to have a character that can only kill in party. A one-tree sorc is such a character.
I dont think this topic has any particular answer, except whatever suits everyones differing play styles.

I agree that a one skill sorc can only quest in a party. My best friend and I still frequently play diablo II together. We switch off characters and trade around to make a new 'uber' character frequently. About a year ago we decided to make an all fire sorc, after I had found a magic orb with +3 to fire skills, +2 to hydra, +2 to meteor (!!!). Long story short, after some relatively easy trading, we boosted her hydra/meteor to level 45, the rest of the skills to 43.

Finding some one to quest with I've found to be very easy, my sorc provides massive power, where any melee character, or tri sorc, gets to sop up the remanants and the immunes. I've never been a big MF'r, but I love to level. I end up leveling solo frequently, and truthfully have not found the one skilled sorc to ever be much of a problem. The speed in which she kills with is amazing, and any immunes I can teleport away from, and find another pack of monsters ready to be killed. There are immunes in most areas, though after a while you become adept to knowing the areas where they are less likely to appear.

Since then I've made a whole slew of 'one tab only' characters other than sorc's. I've found the same pleasant ending. I think its whatever suits your gamestyle. But for me they work, and I encourage exploring them.

I should note that depending on your definition, she may not count as a single tab sorc. She did have 1 point in static field and also 1 point in teleport.

-Munk
Quote: I dont think this topic has any particular answer, except whatever suits everyones differing play styles.
Totally agree. However, with the introduction of immunities (yeah, I still remember the time before them, I'm old, SO WHAT?) the power of one-trick ponies are significantly different. This is especially true to 1.10.

What I mean is, if you go one-tree with a sorc (and by my definition, one-tree means that you have massive offensive damage in one tree only), roughly 1/4-1/2 of your opponents are unkillable (depending on element and location).
If one plays a boner, one can kill a lot more monsters, since magic immunes are far rarer.
If one plays a wind druid, (I consider it one-tree, since uses only one side of a tab), he can kill mostly anything, since physical immunes are far less frequent, and even then he has Hurricane as a ready back-up skill.
And yes, the old cheese returned, hammerdins can kill everything with the exception of Hell Wailing Beasts.

This inbalance is tolerable to some, but I personally find the loss of one synergy less important than the ability to solo in most areas.