A quick Question on the world event
hi, im still new and got a question if i run a program to leave a character running in closed bnet with out kicking me out (also called waiting for a world event) is it aganst the "law" to run a program such as this?
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
If you're running a program on closed battle.net, you are running the risk that your account will be closed. You also run the risk of being banned from these forums. :angry:

Edit- This thread belongs in Atma's.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
LOL thanks for telling me i will NOT use this
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
Why bother using a program? Try using the bad pathfinding for your purpose. Hit a spot the pathfinding routine has to alternate between two routes to get to the target, and your char will run to and fro constantly.

Some ppl use this to burn in their mules, but it should suit your purpose all the same.

Example: Position yourself in a5 at Larzuk's stairs (in the corner between the stairs), then click on a spot that looks equally far via both stairways. With a little practice, you should be able to produce this effect fairly easily.
I heard you could just enable "/fps", and the communication between client/server to refresh the "ping" is enough to keep your game connected. Can anyone verify this?
It seems to hold the game a wee bit longer than without it, but after half an hour or so (I can't really tell as I'm usually not around when it happens) the game gets dropped.

The constant run to Charsi burned in a character, on the other hand. So I'd say the ping only prolongs the game dropping, but does not prevent it. Either that, or I was just really unlucky with the connection. *shrugs*
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
apparently, if you get something a high mana regen character, with a low mana spell (like a necro with amplify) you can clear an area, then sellotape the right mouse button down to keep casting. Presumably you want to find big ugly D.?
good, so you do this, check back ~ 12 hours later, open the message log (do it in a private game) look for 'diablo roams the earth', then go find the nearest superunique.

I'm not taking the credit for this, I think I got this tip from DiabloII.net.

-Bob
You actually wouldn't need a high mana regeneration character, as the mana will come back completely in 2 minutes without it, so you would cast often enough to keep the game saved.
Quote:apparently, if you get something a high mana regen character, with a low mana spell (like a necro with amplify) you can clear an area, then sellotape the right mouse button down to keep casting.

I understand that it's even simpler than that: Just put ID on your right click, and tape/weight down your mouse in town. No need to go out of town at all.

Might as well just use the eternal run method though.
Baajikiil,Jun 7 2004, 06:36 PM Wrote:I understand that it's even simpler than that:  Just put ID on your right click, and tape/weight down your mouse in town.  No need to go out of town at all.
If that is the case, then wouldn't any right button action that was banned in town work? I tried putting glacial spike on a sorceress and standard bow attack on an amazon and both appeared to try to continually perform the action. Of course, you would want to turn the volume down to prevent hearing "not in town" and "not here" over and over. The only reason this wouldn't work is if the character animation is required since identify has one in town and the others don't.

[edit] I tried this out tonight. I did it twice for 20-25 minute time periods. Both worked fine. I then tried it once more with the intention of going longer. I lost the connection and the game went away at about the 30 minute mark just as Yogi Baar noted above. So far, the verdict seems to be that this works for under 30 minutes, long enough to visit the bathroom and make a little dinner. It doesn't seem to be good enough to hold the game to the next day for those all weekend gaming sessions. If I remember, I'll try the ID way when I go to bed to see if it is still active when I get back.

[edit part 2] I tried the identify way when I went to bed this morning - 12 hours of my poor LochsLauncher trying to identify some spot on the ground. At the end of the 12 hours, I untaped the right button and headed off to finish exploring Lower Kurast which I had only gone far enough into to find the waypoint. Of course, the identify method did nothing to cure the ground munchies but that just means that all things need to be picked up before putting the game on hold (but then I wouldn't trust leaving anything more valuable than potions on the ground anyway).
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Thanks guys excactly what i wanted. and yes gresildia i know the rules , and im happy to say a goood place to talk diablo2 :D
"Here, this is sharp!"
"We could try to"
An even better method is to run Diablo 2 in windowed mode, hold down right click after getting Identify as your right click action, and then just move the mouse off the screen. No tape required, and you can then browse the internet while your character is burning in.
A Barbarian might be able to do this. Just tape him down on Leap/LA, point him at the nearest cliff(making sure to keep it aimed at a certain spot where he looks like he MIGHT make it, but will never reach) and watch him bounce like a toad on speed. One other way might be to use a Prayer/Cleansing Paladin and leave him standing near one of the Act 2 traps/fires, and let the aura do all the work for you(Cleansing may not work, doesn't seem to use mana to heal, far as I can tell)

Edit, Other right-clickable-in-town stuff:

Sorceress: Blaze, Enchant, Mana Shield, any Cold Armour.
Paladin: Holy Bolt(maybe, I haven't played in a while)
Druid: Wereform, any summoning spell.
Necro: Any non-Iron Golem, Bone Armour.
Assassin: Minion. May also continuously throw fire bombs outside of town, since they cost a pittance.
Amazon: Minions. Inner Sight/Slow Missiles/Magic Arrow outside of town.
Barbarian: Any shout, outside of town. None of his active skills are useable in town I think.
Obi2Kenobi,Jun 9 2004, 06:07 PM Wrote:An even better method is to run Diablo 2 in windowed mode
I saw this and thought it was a great idea since I had worried about taping the button down, especially the possibility of pulling the button off when removing it. When I went to try it, I remembered why I don't play it windowed. :( I run my laptop at 1280x854. Running the desktop at lower resolution is not an option for at least a couple reasons. Even with the game resolution set to 800x600, the window becomes too small to play in. I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but somebody please prove me wrong - Is there any way to set the resolution to something higher than 800x600? Hmmm, now that I think about that, even a higher resolution wouldn't help. The size of the in-game items stay the same at a higher resolution since they are based on the desktop resolution when windowed. A higher resolution would only give a picture of more territory. Oh well, maybe I can get used to playing at the reduced size. It does provide other benefits such as surfing, as you mentioned.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
There's no way to go above 800x600.

I suppose you could start the game in windowed mode and use that trick to keep the game running. You have 5 minutes to quit the game, start it again in full-screen mode and join that specific game again.
There is an much easer way to put it in a window, make a shortcut to the desktop, go to properties you should se something like this

"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"
under "target"

Here is what you do press space bar once and add a - then w

should work fine, i run it in a window works great for me i can talk on these forurms and play at the same time ! :lol:

Edit: it should look like this "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w

btw thanks for all your posts, this place is great. The DiabloII.net is evil, very evil
thanks alot. funky out
"Here, this is sharp!"
"We could try to"
Another question about running D2 windowed - When I run it windowed, the D2 window minimizes whenever I switch to another program. That seems to turn off the right click repeat action. I thought there was a way to set the global option to leave a window maximized or minimize when switching to another window but I can't find it. Any ideas/suggestions? If the only way to handle it is to keep opening the window once in a while, do you need to move the character or do something else with them or is it enough to just open the window?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
A slight highjack:

If I get a message saying someting like "1130 Stones of jordan sold to vendors", is the chance of DC appearing large or small? If I see this message, should I stay in the game for hours on end just to see if he appears, or is it still very unlikely?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:If I get a message saying someting like "1130 Stones of jordan sold to vendors", is the chance of DC appearing large or small?
There's really no way to tell. If you get 1130 SoJs sold, and then 10 seconds later you get 1131 SoJs sold, then you should definately stay in the game.
OK, is it possible to buy back one's soj?

I found one last week. If I gather enough money, say 2-3 million. Can I stand by a vendor and sell my soj, buy it back, and sell it again until the world event takes place?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw