Next phase server choice
See thread here...the next phase of the beta will have two servers. Since we already know what faction we're going to play in general, the only question is which server.

Now I'm betting that most Lurkers will want to play on the PvE (Player vs Environment) server, but I for one will want to also try beta testing their new PvF (Player vs Faction) server. Thoughts?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I'll be staying on the PvE server.
Hi,

Well, with my perennially difficulty in following through with any one character, I'll very likely try both.

BTW, I hope it isn't "PvF" but "FvF" as in "faction versus faction" -- I'd hate to try to take on the whole horde alone :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

HvA(Horde vs Alliance) seems to the term most players/fans are using. Well that and PvP, which doesnt seem very fitting given the restrictions.
Hi,

We'll, I've been spending a fair amount of time on the beta forums and I've never seen "HvA". "PvP" of course, but there will be PvP on the PvE servers. So you're getting your info from a source different from mine.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ya I mostly visit MMORP sights since Im not in beta. What Im referencing is the current MMORP players who are waiting for WoW, but arent playing it yet.

WoWs current "PvP" plan has more in common with DAoCs "RvR"(realm vs realm) servers than it has with the PvP servers from DAoC, Asherons Call, Shadowbane and EQ, which all have some degree of FFA combat.
Didn't I read something about the PVP functionality being installed on the PvE server as well as the PvF server? So, it should be all the same for now, considering that they want people to test the PvP as well as new areas, etc. The way it is organized (hostile, netural and safe areas) it doesn't seem necessary to have a PvP area. If you're an Orc and waltzing into Stormwind, you better expect pain, whether it's delivered by a level 90 guard or a level 60 Player Mage, it really doesn't matter...
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Now that all of our items and most of our cash has been deleted, there's little tying me down to the PvE server. I think I'm going to go whole-hog into the FvF server for this push just to try it out, although I expect that in release, I'll play PvE. Well, ok, I'll spend 90% of my time in FvF, but I might mess around a little in PvE.
Now that the time is near at hand, I've got to say that I'm tempted to give the FvF server a try. For one, I think that people underestimate how easy it's going to be to get equipment again for their characters but if you start on the new server, you'll see everyone started from square one again. However, beyond that I'm kind of interested to see how much of an effect the way it is implemented really has on the game. It should be interesting to see which areas are designated as being contested and which ones are controlled by one faction or the other.

Then my choice really comes down to how I want to play. If I play on the PvE server, I'll probably go looking for new equipment and items for my Night Elf Warrior. It'd be only a small pain to find new equipment (more of a pain to find cool-looking equipment like I had before) but getting new tradeskill items would be a bit more of a pain (I had just made around 80-100 bandages this morning only to see them go up in smoke...). He's level 20, currently, and I'm kind of interested to see how things shape up for the levels after 20.

My other choice is to start over on one of the servers. If I do, I'm currently leaning toward using a priest (either Night Elf for sheer coolness, in my opinion, or a human which would probably be more fun to roleplay as a priest, for me). The advantage here is that I'd get something new, I'd get to see several of the tradeskills that I didn't use with my warrior, and I'd have a character of a class that I dearly needed in my party throughout the quests I did for levels 10-20. Being wanted would be kind of nice. :)
-TheDragoon
MongoJerry,Jun 15 2004, 10:19 PM Wrote:Now that all of our items and most of our cash has been deleted, there's little tying me down to the PvE server.  I think I'm going to go whole-hog into the FvF server for this push just to try it out, although I expect that in release, I'll play PvE.  Well, ok, I'll spend 90% of my time in FvF, but I might mess around a little in PvE.
I hope you will name your char Mongo, so this way when I call you Mongo in groups people don't look at me funny =)