LLD Barbarian
The only equipment suited for a level 15 low level duel Barbarain so far, in my opinion, would be a Malice'd weapon, 2 Angelic Rings, an Angelic Amulet and a Sigon's Shield.

Anyone know any other good, inexpensive equipment for this guy? I do know that Malice and Stun work extremely well together. The enemy will be almost incapable of attack as the open wounds bleed him down to 1 life point.

(P.S.: I didn't know what forum to put this at, so I placed it here. Feel free to move it if it's not in the right place; I won't make a fuss over it.)
it depends on what lvl you are capping yourself at. normal caps for lld's are 9/14/and ~18. Socketed armor with the apporpriate Rubies are very popular. you can also find really nice Jewels with +min/max damage. (at low levels +min/max offers more punch than the +%ed) you also will want to find as many +life charms under your lvl req as possible.
like a friend of mine got a lvl 18 lld paladin, he's using a 4 sock flail socketed with 15 max damage jewels
also the shield is socketed with it
he delivers a chargedamage 11-1700
or with an other armor 12-2100
Chesspiece_face,Jun 9 2004, 09:22 PM Wrote:it depends on what lvl you are capping yourself at.  normal caps for lld's are 9/14/and ~18.
I'm making a level 15 so I can use the Malice runeword (Darn you, Ith and Eth runes!).

Anyway, I should probably get some low-level Small Charms of Life to fill my inventory up and pump up my HP.

And I don't plan on %ED or Min/Max damage; I'm gonna let my Open Wounds do the work. ;)
Sorry, level 15 just won't cut it. Official levels are 9, 12, 18 and 29, and if you're a 15, all the 12s would whine if you'd defeat them that you're too high level, and honestly, you won't stand a chance against level 18s.

Malice and stun... well, you just do not swing fast enough for that. My level 29 bear has a 5-frame maul, and still cant stunlock the enemies, because of blocking.

Decent lev 9-12 equipment consits of socketed armor/helm/shield/weapon with +9 max damage or better jewels (on the switch a deflecting shield with 2 sockets). At level 18 this gets upgraded to +15 max dam or better jewels, but the better low lev pvp-ers have rare jewels with -req, max/min damage and ar as well.

A sample level 18 paladin I fought the other day has 1.6k zeal, 2.1k charge damage and over 700 life. Just so that you know what you're up against.

Good luck with your barbarian!
I kinda have an idea of what I need without any gems/runes/jewels (Besides my Malice, that is). Here's my planned equipment, although I'll have to go up at least one level to use it. :(

Sigon's Visor Great Helm
Sigon's Guard Tower Shield
Twitchthroe Studded Leather
Sigon's Gage Gauntlets
Sigon's Wrap Plated Belt
Sigon's Sabot Light-Plated Boots
Angelic Halo Ring x2
Angelic Wings Amulet
Malice Crystal Sword/War Scepter/Flail

Basically, it's all Sigon's but the armor. Twitchthroe will be useful for IAS and %Block.

P.S.: I'm poor, so don't expect any +Max Damage jewels in my armor.
Legend_of_Lugia,Jun 11 2004, 02:27 PM Wrote:Basically, it's all Sigon's but the armor. Twitchthroe will be useful for IAS and %Block.

P.S.: I'm poor, so don't expect any +Max Damage jewels in my armor.
I have to warn you right off the bat that you will most likely loose 90% of your duels with this character plan. If you are dead set on playing that character, by all means keep on truckin, just be prepared to get toe up a bit. A couple points:

Barbarians are probably the Worst lld'ers in the game. All of their key dueling skills are gained at level 24+ so as a lld'er you will not be able to use any of them. Add to this the fact that all barbarian builds for lld's require you to be in melee range to deal damage so most likely you will die before you even get to your opponent. The only lld build that circumvents this is the Throwing barb, which makes a throwing barb the best barb choice for lld's

Twitchthrow is a good choice of armor. But i would highly recommend changing some of your other equipment. Death's Sash is a Requirement for lld's. if you don't have one and your opponent has cold damage you LOSE. If you are fairly poor there are some items you can look for that are cheap and can give you some good bonuses for lld's. For a lvl 18 lld'er Duskdeep helm is a decent choice. But i would still recommend a 3 ruby helm over that. your resists should be 45 base so finding equipment to max your resists shouldnt be too hard.

Umbral Disk is a decent shield. Blood Fist for gloves.

Sigon shield has high block rate, but blocks too slow to be helpful.
Unlike my Paladin. Yours comes with a very valuable bonus of a "Range Attack" that isn't limited to something that a large number of opponents are Immune to. Get a pair of really good Throwable Axes(Preferably Socketable with Perfect Skulls for Hit Steals Life/Mana!) And, put it in one of your Weapon Sets with your "Double Throw spell preset on it.

Then put a one handed weapon and a heavy resistance shield on the other one. Now you can do some serious damage from a distance. And, then switch to the Weapon shield combo to finish them off for those who you have to go toe to toe.

You want a 3 socketed shield that allready has some nice qualities on it. But, instead of spelling that Rune word that the guy in the expansion pack gives you and reccomends. Use 3 Perfect diamonds! Instead of 43-47 resistance points. You'll have 57 Resist All!! Or a 4 socketed shield for 76!

By being able to cram all your Resistance points into one shield and maybe a prism amulet. This frees you up to buy what you really need on everything else.

Tip on Gems. The Gem shrine will give you some wussy Chipped gem(and the one you don't need) if you don't have one. Or if you do have one. It'll toss it on the floor with one level added to it if it isn't allready perfect. So, you can speed up getting things like Perfect diamonds by carrying one of you L4 Diamonds(Level 4/ Flawless) in your inventory with you.

If you're not going to spell a Rune word on your weapons. Always toss in some L5 (perfect) Skulls. Instead of the Amn rune.

You still get hit steals life. but, it really pays when your using something that requires mana that takes 3-7 mana per hit when your getting 6-9 Mana per hit back!!!

What I consider the most important features in Equiping ones self.

Weapons: Anything that says "Slow or Normal" speed on them. Trash them!! It doesn't matter what the damage level is on them. You're taking to long between hits and being hit instead. You don't need "Fast Recover" and "Blocking" as badly if you're hitting fast enough that they're the ones needing it!!

Damage types. If your main damage type by weapon or spell is say" Fire". Then you want cold and lightning for everything else! Example. As a paladin. I constantly use a L15 "Holy Freeze". So, I make all my added damage to my weapons sockets, Charms, My Mercs Bow, etc Fire and Lightning to handle the few who are Immune to cold.

Range. Paladins suffer from a lack of range tactics. And so do some others. Allways keep the Archer from the begginning of the game. She's not only gets killed the least. But, she often shows me tons of spots in the game where I could hit the baddies from a distance without they're being able to get at me that I didn't know where there!!

Shoes. Fast Run/Walk!!

Gloves: Faster Attack bonuses and Hit steals Life/Mana

Belts. I refuse to use anything that adds less than 3 rows!! that extra storage space for quick access to the essentials has saved my but to many times. Note. Belts, boots, and gloves are usually your best payoff for the Free "Imbue" at the beggining of the game.

Armor and Helmets. Anything with regenerating abilities or Heavy AC with sockets for perfect skulls!! Being able to regerate your own vitals is both a life saver and a pocket saver! I make more money selling Super life and mana potions than I do anything else!!

Rings and Amulets. Prisms and Sigons! Jim
Are you trying to set a record for the most exclamation points in a single post or something! I dont think every sentence needs one of those! Some even have two!! Are you just really exciting about this topic!

That said, some of your advice is horrendous. For example, you speak of socketed throwing axes. There's no such thing. And you speak of socketing perfect skulls in helms and armour. Even if you had 7 of them, you'd just get 3.4 life per second. That sort of regeneration is irrelevant in a duel.

Really, what are you talking about?
adeyke,Jun 12 2004, 04:23 AM Wrote:Are you trying to set a record for the most exclamation points in a single post or something!  I dont think every sentence needs one of those!  Some even have two!!  Are you just really exciting about this topic!

That said, some of your advice is horrendous.  For example, you speak of socketed throwing axes.  There's no such thing.  And you speak of socketing perfect skulls in helms and armour.  Even if you had 7 of them, you'd just get 3.4 life per second.  That sort of regeneration is irrelevant in a duel.

Really, what are you talking about?
also, socketing a shield with multiple diamonds is redundant. If you hope to stand a chance in a lld you will have your character rushed through hell and have all the bonuses that come with it. 12 extra skill points (29 total at lvl 18) +45 resist all, +15 to all stats, +60 life.

with 45 base resist you only need 30% from items.

also the 3 row belts are pointless in any structured duel as potions are illegal.

and sigons set doesn't have rings or amulets.
Being able to regerate your own vitals saves a fortune on potions and cuts my visits to town down to unloading the items that were actually valuable enough to make it worth the trip. And, with the exception of the uniques that don't give you a choice or ones that are easiest to just whack them out right.

Regeneration combined with hit and run tactics takes care of my vitals %95 of the time. I had to get rid of all my life/mana potions to make room for my rejuve potions by the time I went to NightMare level. And, that was just 2 or 3 skulls on my helmet. Seven for regeration would be serious overkill.

For dueling. It's Hit Steals that you really need. And, if you seriously use mana in your fights. Hit steals mana is a major bonus

the Throwing axes and sockets. My bad. The only projectile weapons I've ever used are strictly Bows for my merc. That was a restriction that I overlooked. JIm
I thought this was about the PC version of the game itself. Just scratch my posts alltogether.
Nit: Each scroll gives +10 resist all, not +15. So you'd have 30% base and would need 45% from items.
my fault.