What kinds of insanity do we have here?
So, what kind of funktastically crazy builds would be viable through at least Nightmare difficulty, with only minimal twinking?

The first absulutely insane character that comes to mind is something I like to call the Ubermartyr. A Paladin with Sacrifice, a two-handed weapon, and thorns. Nothing but strength and vitality (and maybe a bit of dexterity, for equipment), with a large emphasis on getting the largest life-ball possible, and depleting it to kill enemies.

I have a feeling something like this is simply not going to happen (not all the way to Hell, at least), without a whole lot of frighteningly powerful equipment that I don't have.

Anything else any of you can think of that skates a thin line between and insane and possible?
A trapper using cobra strike is getting insane. I have one of these in act one nm, so I don't know whether it's totally insane or actually workable.

Any assasin without mind blast/cloak of shadows, maybe all shadow skills, is really insane, but maybe impossible. You'd have to use traps from very far away. Once again, this could either be really insane or actually not a problem, since I do use mindblast/shadow master, and they help a lot.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Well, aside from MongoJerry's variants...

How about Death; A melee necromancer, who has to use a sickle-type weapon.
Allowed skills: Bone Prison/Wall/Armor, Terror, Life Tap,

No Mercenaries

Once again, this is mostly a melee Necromancer, who should have points to mostly strength, dexterity, and some vitality. I was going to put more skills on the list, but I remembered it has to be HARD. So, good luck to whoever wants to try!
About MongoJerry, is the Maldar write-up on D2.net in an easy place to get to? If not, Maldar should be saved somewhere on the Lurkerlounge because that is the coolest idea for a character probably ever and hearing about it in actions shows the different things people can do with particular skills when the try something different. That character deserves to be somewhere where people can see it, not stuck on some way back forum thread. If it's on D2.net, than never mind.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)