Help me decide wich SP character...
I recently got a laptop. I can't figure out how to get it on the internet, so its SP for me :( still that's not necessarily a bad thing, because of got Nobbie's mod to make it better :D

Anyway, I never played single player much (highest I got was level 13 Paladin which put all his points into Might), and I realize it is a much different enviorment. Can a single player veteran advise me on what character class is best suited for surviving hell?
Don't know about hell, but in general single player characters will need more types of damage and be less item dependent than multiplayer. Minions are always good, as you won't have parties for damage absorbtion. From there you should be able to figure out characters that would be good.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Well, any build can solo hell if you're willing to reroll maps and sacrifice your sanity. Everything's much slower as your gear's generally crap; you only have what you find to work with.

Patience and knowing what you can and can't handle is all there is to it.

"Casters" have the advantage of being skill based as far as damage goes, but you're probably going to be quite short on +skills.

EDIT:

Always have a merc. Bosses that would shred alone can be trivial with a merc.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Well, I don't know where you stand on game ethics, but I would recommend downloading ATMA to mule items. It really sucks to find a sweet barb weapon playing your SP sorc. I realize this is a grey area because it can easily be exploited, but it has made my gaming less frustrating-YMMV.
Do you know if it will work with the mod I am playing (Nobbie's Classic Style LoD Mod)? If so, link?

Are there any builds in particular that I should avoid playing, that are viable in B.net, but can't solo (even with a merc?) I've got a Whirlwind Barbarian and a Frost Zealot going at the moment. Are both of these viable in a closed enviorment?
Both those should work if you get another damage type for the frost zealot.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Works fine with nobbie's mod.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Is a charged bolteress viable in single player?

20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning
20 Lightning Mastery
20 Frozen Orb

8 utility/prereq

Would I use ES?

How about windy druids?
I only played my charged boltress for a few minutes in 1.10, and it was online. So my input is very limited.

But from what I could glean from my short playtime was that despite being only half equiped (some of her equipment went into a nova sorc) she was still quick to kill. I was the only person in the game though, so I am not entirely sure how she would fare in players8. She had a whopping total of +4 to lightning skills (+3 from a magic circlet I gambled in 1.08) and killed very proficiently in act 5 hell. She is level 83, abandonned in 1.08 due to boredom induced by her massively overpowered strength.

But I must say they are worth trying out, and I highly enjoyed leveling her (with very minimal plus skills). She was created in 1.06, leveled to level 30, and quickly ran to 83 in the first expansion lurker games. I never felt underpowered, and never ran across any major problems.

She used 20 CB, 20 Mastery, 20 Thunderstorm, and 20 teleport.

She wasn't fancy, and didn't require any fancy gear.

Well aware that 1.10 may be a different animal, so take my advice with that in mind.

-Munk
To avoid may questions arising about this class, let me flatly state: they are one of the most powerful of all classes in 1.10; only a well-equipped hammerdin comes close to them in sheer killing power. And the loveliest thing of all: a windy is incredibly powerful even naked. So yes, they are playable in single player -- if you can survive until level 24-30. Until you get there, it will be a real struggle, since you have no ofensive capabilities at all (twister is a joke, arctic is bugged and a 1 point arctic would be unimpressive anyway).
My suggestion to SP windy players: pick up all the druid helms, and see what turns up in them. I remember having had a werewolf helm, and it really made life a LOT easier during the early levels.
How is Arctic bugged?
IIRC, inferno and arctic suffer from the same bug, which reduces their damage to 1/3 the listed value.