The new paladin
Hi,

Well, I deleted dAquitain after the push. Just couldn't see doing level 1 quests with a level 20 character. However, judging from the number of nude high level people I've seen in Elwynn Forest, I'd guess that it doesn't bother everyone :)

After much thought (OK, about 1 second) I started a new human female paladin: dAquitania (which is what the first should have been but it got Anglicized at the last minute. Oh well, brain farts happen.). And that should be d'Aquitania ("of Aquitaine" -- a real region in SW France that Eleanore (wife of Henry II -- great king well played (twice) by (Sir?) Peter ("Lawrence of Arabia") O'Tool (is that his real name or just a joke?)) was from, but it might as well be a fantasy region as far as 99.99% of non-French gamers are concerned. And BTW, looking forward to the "Europe" beta), but Blizzard believes in naming policies that do no good -- a rant for another time.

Where was I? Oh, yeah -- the fair maid dAquitania. Well, I'm kind of half role playing her (she changes clothes in town, tries to stay in character in /say etc.) and half pushing her (but this is the smaller half). After two days of campaigning, she's level 10 and has had no problems at all.

Basic set up: got rid of the two handed hammer (they are just too ugly) and put on a stick/shield combo. Eventually, she'll swing a sword, but trades are a more pressing priority. Some have complained about the "nerf" of skill points and how that's going to hurt trade skills. Maybe. But dAquitania at level 10 has skinning, herbalism, and mining (in that order) and 11 or 12 skill points with which she's going to get fishing (already got the coolest shorts and a top for that) and probably cooking (I don't think that that safe deposit box at the bank is refrigerated).

Oh, yeah. Fighting. That is what this game is about, right? Well, mostly she bashes with her stick and blocks with her shield. And lets the armor protect her :) . Every now and again (about once in ten seconds) she'll use Holy Strike (rank 2 -- "Corporal that is, sir. Yes, sir"). Now and again she'll use Holy Light to fix those nasty cuts and scrapes that an active life will bring. And, of course, no gal would go *anywhere* without her Devotion Aura. "Managing mana", what's that? Even self healing, she's hardly needed to drink and never to eat. If you've got an ability but never use it, is it really there?

Now, in the good old days before the "nerf" she could handle one or two mobs her size and maybe one more if they were smaller. And the change since the nerf? Well, she can handle one or two mobs her size and maybe one more if they are smaller. Plus c'est la meme chose. (She *is* from the south of France after all).

Well. I'm sure y'all (*I* was from the South of the USA for a while) want to know about strategy and tactics. Well, so would we. Hmm? Pick on one critter at a time. Lead social critters away from their mates. Kill them before they can get help (or let them get one buddy at a time -- saves you the trouble of moving). Keep your find minerals and herbs up. Don't sweat the small stuff (Oh, was I supposed to be original?).

Also, you meet a lot of a*holes on line (like the level 39 paladin who trained about 5 Kobols on me) but you meet a lot of nice people there, too (two of whom I added to my friends book today :) ) And a pair of paladins is a neat combo. Both of them do decent damage, and the one not aggroed can keep both healed,

So, playing a paladin is pretty dull -- unless you can entertain yourself with some real RP and meet neat people -- so far, so good.

Later, after the levels pile up,

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I really liked playing a Paladin, but the one thing that always annoyed me was the fact that a Paladin has zero means to pull from a distance. If not for that, I'd imagine that Paladins would be my favourite class. I like melee, and I like the fact that they can wear any armour type. Add in the ability to Heal and they are great soloists. If only they could pull from a distance they would be perfect, but maybe too perfect.
Hi,

Of course they can pull from a distance -- about 2 feet, I think :)

"S" is your friend :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Grab apprentice engineering and throw dynamite. Much cheaper skill point wise than the 100 fighters have to spend on bows/rifles. Though having mining makes it much easier to be an engineer.
Paladins can't use Bows or Thrown weapons?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
tal125,Jun 19 2004, 10:19 AM Wrote:Grab apprentice engineering and throw dynamite. Much cheaper skill point wise than the 100 fighters have to spend on bows/rifles. Though having mining makes it much easier to be an engineer.
What he said. Rough dynomite and copper bombs later on are great for pulling, and with new abundance in minerals getting even 50 of them is no sweat. Plus you don't need to pull from range that often, so it should last a while.
Nope. 'Tis beneath them or sommat like dat. ;)
One can also pull by walking just inside the aggro range of a mob, waking it up, running back a few steps, killing the mob, and repeating. One doesn't have to have a missle-fire weapon to pull things.