battle.net problems
Diablo was fairly regularly crashing of late so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. After reinstalling, most of the time my attempts to log onto battle.net would get stuck when it says "checking versions". So I uninstalled and reinstalled again, only this time I haven't even been able to succesfully log in even once, so that I don't have the most recent patch. Any ideas would be appreciated.

As an aside, while waiting for this to start working I decided to try a LoL axer. I decided to id the first broad axe I found (in the catacombs); it was a useless axe of corruption. I decided to id the next broad axe I found. It was a topaz axe of corruption. Arg!
Hi,

Quote: . . . so that I don't have the most recent patch. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Download the latest patch from here. Install it and see where it gets you. If you still have problems, post again.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:If you still have problems, post again.

I still have problems. It's not that I can never log on to battle.net. It's just that it's rare when I can. From a statistically insignificant sample I would say that mornings on the east coast are a better time than evenings. Could that be do to the amount of battle.net traffic? More importantly, what can I do about it?
Quote:I would say that mornings on the east coast are a better time than evenings. Could that be do to the amount of battle.net traffic? More importantly, what can I do about it?
Have you tried connecting to different gateways?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Have you tried connecting to different gateways?

Yes. I know that kind of shoots my theory down, but I had forgotten that I had tried that when I posted.
General troubleshooting: do you have connection problems with anything else on the Internet? How complex is the path between your computer and your ISP (e.g. wired or wireless, multiple computers sharing an internet connection (if yes, how?), multiple layers of NAT)? Is anyone else using your connection while you connect (e.g. any P2P clients soaking up lots of upload capacity)? Are you running Mac OS X or Windows? If Windows, which Windows? If you tab out and run netstat -n while stuck waiting, what is the output?
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:05 PM' post='166198']
General troubleshooting: do you have connection problems with anything else on the Internet? How complex is the path between your computer and your ISP (e.g. wired or wireless, multiple computers sharing an internet connection (if yes, how?), multiple layers of NAT)? Is anyone else using your connection while you connect (e.g. any P2P clients soaking up lots of upload capacity)? Are you running Mac OS X or Windows? If Windows, which Windows? If you tab out and run netstat -n while stuck waiting, what is the output?

I can use internet explorer and get to any site I want just fine (including LL:)). I am using wireless with a password protection, although my wife uses the same connection (but I have this problem even when her computer is closed). What's NAT? What's P2P? I'm using Windows XP. When I tab out and click start/run/"netstat -n" (I have no idea what this is) I get a black screen with white writing with 3 columns on it which closes so fast I can't read a word.
Hi,

Quote:When I tab out and click start/run/"netstat -n" (I have no idea what this is) I get a black screen with white writing with 3 columns on it which closes so fast I can't read a word.
Open a command prompt (might have to look under "Start|All Programs|Accessories|Accessibility" and type the netstat -n command at the command line there.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Open a command prompt (might have to look under "Start|All Programs|Accessories|Accessibility" and type the netstat -n command at the command line there.

--Pete
A simpler way of bringing up the command prompt is to press Windows-R, then type cmd and hit Enter.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Hi,

--Pete

When I type start/all programs/accessories/accessibility I have these options: accessibility wizard, magnifier, narrator, on screen keyboard, utility manager. None of them seem to give me a command prompt as best I can tell.

Quote:A simpler way of bringing up the command prompt is to press Windows-R, then type cmd and hit Enter.

What do you mean Windows-R? Is that an icon somewhere?
Quote:What do you mean Windows-R? Is that an icon somewhere?

It's a keyboard shortcut. Hold down the Windows key (that annoying thing between ctrl and alt that always gets in the way) and press R. Or just use run from the menu like you did to run netstat, but run cmd instead.
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:05 PM' post='166198']

Did the netstat -n command. Here is what it says:

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP (all columns) Is it safe for me to post this here? 169.229.blah Close Wait
203.73.25 blah Close Wait
63.240.202 blah Established
63.240.202 blah Fin_Wait_1

That's all. So any help would be appreciated.
Quote:Did the netstat -n command. Here is what it says:

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP (all columns) Is it safe for me to post this here? 169.229.blah Close Wait
203.73.25 blah Close Wait
63.240.202 blah Established
63.240.202 blah Fin_Wait_1

That's all. So any help would be appreciated.
Posting the full details is probably unwise, but you truncated a bit too much. Please try again and do not leave out the parts that you replaced with "blah." You can omit the local address, which is the only sensitive part.

Guessing based on socket state and the part of the IP address you did post, it looks like you're connecting successfully. That's not good, because it means the most common problems aren't the issue here.

NAT = Network Address Translation, a technique often used by home routers because ISPs don't want to issue enough IP addresses to cover the systems you actually use (or if they do, they charge exorbitant prices for them). You probably are using this, but since you established the TCP connection, NAT is not likely to be the culprit.

P2P = Peer-to-Peer, often used for filesharing. It's only of interest here because badly tuned P2P clients can soak up all your upload bandwidth, causing other outbound traffic to be delayed. If the delayed traffic was important, such as the packets for establishing a new connection, that delay could mean the difference between a prompt success and an eventual failure.
We moved last week (you can´t live in an apartment which can´t access battle.net) and I haven´t yet had problems in our new apartment. If I do I will post more details.