MF Bug?
Raven Vale,Oct 21 2004, 11:23 AM Wrote:So , getting a high durability rare means it tried to drop the unique but could'nt because the unique had already dropped ? Reading up a bit on the bladebone axe and the baal rare drop made me post this . I have just done a hell meph run , quite a few , pick up crap and sell , always on the lookout for a decent rare . 2 minutes ago a rare Hand scythe dropped with 216 Durability . As far as I know there are no Unique Hand scythes , so what makes the durability on this so high ? I killed nothing in this game except for meph btw .

Take care
[right][snapback]57877[/snapback][/right]

When the game decides to spawn a unique, it makes a list of all the uniques it can be with that base item and that ilvl. If the list is empty, you get a triple-durability rare. Otherwise, it randomly picks one of the uniques on the list (it's a weighted random; different uniques have different weights). Then, if the unique it picked has already spawned in that game, you get a triple-durability rare. Otherwise, you get the unique it picked.

So you get a triple-durability rare if it tries to spawn a unique that has already spawned in that game or if there are no uniques possible with that base item and ilvl.
Thanks

Explained so well , even I understood it :P

Take care
Take care
Another one just cropped up , what if its an high durability Magic item ? Do they follow the same rules or is it entirely different ? Reason for asking is , a high durability Magic Ogre axe just dropped . sorry , for all the questions , but I am building up to 2000 mf meph runs and want to know everything just to get it right .
Take care
Raven Vale,Oct 23 2004, 05:57 AM Wrote:Another one just cropped up , what if its an high durability Magic item ? Do they follow the same rules or is it entirely different ? Reason for asking is , a high durability Magic Ogre axe just dropped . sorry , for all the questions , but I am building up to 2000 mf meph runs and want to know everything just to get it right .
[right][snapback]57986[/snapback][/right]

You get a double-durability magic item iff the game tried to spawn a set item but there was none for that base item and ilvl.
I think It is because Your mf caps at 400 Or something like that so If you equid so much that It exceeds that amount, It might drop to zero or something. I am probably wrong but I dont see any other conclusion... :blink:
MikethemizJR,Oct 27 2004, 10:13 PM Wrote:It might drop to zero or something. I am probably wrong but I dont see any other conclusion... :blink:
[right][snapback]58406[/snapback][/right]

The conclusion is that you're wrong.
You don't know what you're talking about.
MikethemizJR,Oct 28 2004, 12:13 AM Wrote:I think It is because Your mf caps at 400 Or something like that so If you equid so much that It exceeds that amount, It might drop to zero or something. I am probably wrong but I dont see any other conclusion... :blink:
:lol:
Thanks man. That gave me quite a laugh. 'equid' - haha. Makes it sound like E (electronically, like cheating or per ebay) - QUID (involving money, like paying for the cheat progs or the items). :ph34r:
Great stuff here... :lol:

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
MikethemizJR,Oct 27 2004, 07:13 PM Wrote:I think It is because Your mf caps at 400 Or something like that so If you equid so much that It exceeds that amount, It might drop to zero or something. I am probably wrong but I dont see any other conclusion... :blink:

If you've ever looked at the drop calculator in ATMA (which was designed by one of the programmers who made D2, BTW), you'd notice that there is NO cap, but there ARE diminishing returns on rares, sets, and uniques as you equip more MF gear.
Ya I knew I was wrong. But here is another thought:

Your mf runs keep getting lower at the frequency which you play them. You said after 20 runs with 430 mf you had nothing. If you did the runs with 350 mf Straight before the ones with 430 mf then the first 20 still had some juice in them. But then you immediately started with more mf runs and so you got crap drops.

Maybe then you took a break, and then tried again afterward. Since you took a break, the mf frequency went up again, and you got more items. Because I have a char with 500 mf (or at least around that) and he gets good stuff.
MikethemizJR,Oct 31 2004, 12:53 PM Wrote:Ya I knew I was wrong. But here is another thought:

Your mf runs keep getting lower at the frequency which you play them. You said after 20 runs with 430 mf you had nothing. If you did the runs with 350 mf Straight before the ones with 430 mf then the first 20 still had some juice in them. But then you immediately started with more mf runs and so you got crap drops.

Maybe then you took a break, and then tried again afterward. Since you took a break, the mf frequency went up again, and you got more items. Because I have a char with 500 mf (or at least around that) and he gets good stuff.
[right][snapback]58706[/snapback][/right]

You don't know what you're talking about.
Well I am no expert on mf, Those were just ideas.
MikethemizJR,Oct 31 2004, 07:55 PM Wrote:Well I am no expert on mf, Those were just ideas.
[right][snapback]58709[/snapback][/right]
Your MF never changes, it has a diminishing return towards rare/set/unique item chances but it doesn't vary as you make games. The more MF the better, unless you kill slower.
gta-maloy],Nov 1 2004, Wrote:Your MF never changes, it has a diminishing return towards rare/set/unique item chances but it doesn't vary as you make games. The more MF the better, unless you kill slower.
[right][snapback]58798[/snapback][/right]

In addition there has never really been any such bug that initially was mentioned in this thread. Not even in the first few versions of the game. You always got better chance the higher the MF you had. What existed was a rounding issue were the chance for unique (and perhaps set as well) jumped upwards at a specific MF (since the game used integer calcs). This of course meant the chance was so high that the chance for rare and magic was lower (over all). Think of it as if you get a 100% chance for unqiue, the chance for a rare would be 0%. In addition, the calculation anomaly only occured for some types of uniques if I recall correctly. The full information is on this site somewere, it was so long ago.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.