Having trouble as sorc
I just recently got the game and I just beat it as a warrior and am now playing as a Sorceror and i'm having loads of trouble with fire resistant and immune enemies.

The trouble first started with the Butcher. I opened his door and, stupidly, saved the game. Nearly 30 minutes more mana pots than I can count later I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to beat him. I had worked out a method where I would run, shoot a fireball, prey that his attack missed, and run again to repeat the cycle, occationally healing insted of the fireball. I also tried it with charged bolt but that was even worse. So I made a new game with my character and everything was fine until I got to the skeleton king who killed me even more easily than the butcher. So I skipped him, saying I'd come back when I was stronger, and went on until I came to a unique Shadow Beast named Pulsecrawler. I tried equiping a club and sheild and put heal on right click and attacked him and healed myself through 16 mana pots (two full belts) to no avail. I eventually just gave up, went up one dungeon level, and saved.

I am right now a level 10 sorceror with 50 some magic and around 25-30 in all the other stats.

I know that I am probably making some dumb noob mistake. Any advise that anyone could give would be much appreciated.
Quote:I know that I am probably making some dumb noob mistake.

Are you kidding? You're right on track! The Butcher, and moreso the Skeleton King, are meant to challenge 'young' characters, and it sounds like you've been sufficiently challenged.

There are several fine guides to beating these, and other, nefarious beasts. I encourage you to visit the D1 Strategy section of this site. You'll find info and links to more info. Among other tips, you'll learn tactics for fighting the Butcher (e.g., gates & a closeable door, taking tighter corners, etc.).

Most importantly, you need to understand the differences between Warriors and Sorcerers, and Rogues for that matter. A shield and club are great sometimes, but hardly ever for sorcs. Magic is your best asset, so use it liberally. In other words, a hotkey used for Heal can probably be used more effectively.

By the way, I checked Jarulf's Guide (also available from this site) and Pulsecrawler is imminue to fire-based spells and is resistant to lightning-based spells. It can't resist magic-based spells, but you probably haven't found any of this type yet. If you can get your hands on a scroll of Stone Curse, well, that might work for ya.

Good luck, and keep at it. Then try it with a rogue....

Cheers.
Quote: I just recently got the game and I just beat it as a warrior and am now playing as a Sorceror and i'm having loads of trouble with fire resistant and immune enemies.

Heh, its allright, everyone is new to any game at one point or another, but its good that you came here looking for help.

Quote:The trouble first started with the Butcher. I opened his door and, stupidly, saved the game. Nearly 30 minutes more mana pots than I can count later I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to beat him. I had worked out a method where I would run, shoot a fireball, prey that his attack missed, and run again to repeat the cycle, occationally healing insted of the fireball. I also tried it with charged bolt but that was even worse.

The easiest way to take out the butcher is to stairtrap him. This is a little technique that involves you having the butch follow you to the stairs down, and then walking around them untill he traps himself in them when you are positioned behind the stairs. Immobilizes him and your free to fire away with spells or even a bow.

Quote:So I made a new game with my character and everything was fine until I got to the skeleton king who killed me even more easily than the butcher.

Leoric is a bit of a tough opponent, but if you have slvl 1 or 2 Holy Bolt by the time you face him you shouldnt have any problem, and you should be able to stunlock him easily with it.

Quote:So I skipped him, saying I'd come back when I was stronger, and went on until I came to a unique Shadow Beast named Pulsecrawler. I tried equiping a club and sheild and put heal on right click and attacked him and healed myself through 16 mana pots (two full belts) to no avail. I eventually just gave up, went up one dungeon level, and saved.

Heh, well there is one big problem right there: a vanilla sorc should never, ever go melee. Its alot easier if you just go slow and try to draw your enemies out into a cleared area, then take them out there by shoot-running and keeping your distance.

Quote:I am right now a level 10 sorceror with 50 some magic and around 25-30 in all the other stats.

An often quoted remark about the sorc: "Any level up point put into a stat other than magic before its maxed is a waste." Which is very, very true. I could go on, but rather than that I'll link you to a resource that should help a whole lot more: Freshman Diablo. It has all kinds of articles to teach new players how to survive

http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml

Also, as a small recomendation I'd say try battle.net games or even multiplayer IPX or another option game if you cant get online that often. Multi is a bit more difficult, but you dont have to save your progress and your able to repeat levelsin order to find better equipment/books/ect.

Well, thats all I can think to add at the moment, so good luck and hopefully we'll see ya around sometime :-D
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
I agree with most of what you are saying here, but not this one: In other words, a hotkey used for Heal can probably be used more effectively.

A young sorcerer generally should not try to use the bash and heal method of killing monsters. However, healing is still worth a hotkey without a doubt. Especially at the stage this person is at, where he is going to start facing a lot of ranged attackers, with not much defensive capabilities. Until you get a staff or book of mana shield, fast access to healing is a valuable asset in that situation. Compliment it with an offensive array of firebolt, charged bolt (or lightning if available), and holy bolt (or later, firewall), and you've got a decent set of early hotkeys.
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'll just keep starting the game over till I get holy bolt or some of those other spells your all talking about.

EDIT: I started a new game and beat the Butcher using the stair trap thing and found a staff of holy bolt to kill Leoric.