VanCleef Assault
Quote:Basic rule of thumb; if you're in a fight of more elites than players (say 5-24's vs 6-25+'s), when the first player dies, run away. RUN AWAY! 5 vs 6 is maybe doable with the right players and the right use of items/skills. 4 vs 6 is asking for trouble, especially against higher level elites, and 3 vs 6 is death.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm very new to MOG's and can use all the tactical advice I can get, especially since 90% of my WoW time has been solo (by preference or necessity, depending).
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Cryptic, you're my favorite poster now, for quoting Les Miserables. ;)
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Alright, we're gonna have Cleefy Cake Sunday at Noon Pac/3 PM Eastern.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:No, really?

Seriously, one of my probs is that every one of these 8 attempts has been winnable except for 1, when I had a level 14 and 16 in the party (far too weak for the instance). In every other situation, either server crashes, player lagouts, or the all-too-common problem of a party member making a critical mistake has ended the attempt. But I know we could have succeeded.

Sometimes the mistake is that the party does not accept when it is outmatched - this occurred last time when about 6-7 mobs were aggroed on the ship and came for us at once. Instead of fleeing, the party stuck around and was annihilated. There is no shame in recognizing an unwinnable pull and retreating. ESPECIALLY the characters that can res (Paladins, Priests). This happens despite repeated /v Run and just typing RUN! in the party chat. Personal beef of mine - I think that players feel that if they run, they're letting the team down, but I'd much rather see a res'ing class playing cautiously and saving us than throwing yet another attempt at VC and 2 hours down the drain.

If I bring a party with me of high-level players who just gank the whole instance, I'm admitting defeat. We have some very good players here, and it's just stupid that we're not able to accomplish this.

-Bolty

Actually, with that last run, I said run as soon as they started coming, but no one moved. I ended up trying to sacrifice myself to get Tri out of there (yes, the Rogue tanking 6 Elites and actually surviving for about 15 seconds) so we could res, but Tri was too effected by lag to do anything.

Next time, we go around the port side of the ship and take out cookie and the guys on that side so we have clear sailing to get out of the instance after VanCleef falls.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Hi,

Alright, we're gonna have Cleefy Cake Sunday at Noon Pac/3 PM Eastern.

I've noticed that the game response I get goes down steadily during the day. And it is not a function of how long I've been playing, because I log off and *reboot* about once every two hours or so. The slow down seems to be strongly dependent on the number of people on the server and how long it has been since the server was restarted. When Blizzard takes the server down (or when it crashes) the response speeds up again for a while. And none of this has anything to do with ping, which I almost always have below 200, even when the game grinds almost to a halt.

Putting all this together, I would suggest an earlier starting time and starting on Saturday instead of Sunday. The earlier starting time gives you a chance to get the instance done before response goes to hell. And unless the server crashes on Saturday night, it probably will not be restarted over the weekend.

I would also suggest that anyone having any side quests either ignore them or get them out of the way before the VC push. The longer it takes, the better the chances for the most powerful mob of all (lag) to kill the party.

Whatever y'all decide, I'll try (again) to make it. But after about 4 on weekdays and over most of the weekend, WoW turns into a slide show for me (on the "beta" server", I can usually play just fine on the PvP server -- but there I'm just a young Night Elf in a quite and secluded part of the world.)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Also keep in mind that as Saturday is part of the weekend, you can expect to see a lot of people on, regardless of the time of day. I've found that any time on Saturday and Sunday tends to have the same problems as you see on a weekday night. Weekend evenings are worse than during the day on weekends, but just marginally.

However, I'll try to join you guys if you'll have me! My young Gnome Warrior is getting to about that level where he sets his sight on Eddie Van C. :)
-TheDragoon
Hi,

Yep. Ideal would be early on a weekday (up until noon pacific time it's almost like having the world to yourself). But, of course, that's out for all those too old to be in school and too young to be retired :) Maybe we who are free to play at the choice time should give it a try -- especially if the weekend attempt goes ka-blooey.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

EDIT: Ignore this post. Apparently I can't read the day of the week this run was going to be correctly. I'll be there! :)
-TheDragoon
So this fell apart yesterday when people mysteriously disappeared and we wanted to wait to have a full team. Shall we reschedule it?
-TheDragoon
I was real life adventuring all weekend, but inspite of the sunburn I would like to come along next time -- although I have completed the quest if you prefer a party of virgins.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Jul 26 2004, 01:12 PM Wrote:although I have completed the quest if you prefer a party of virgins.
Must...resist...Occhi-style...joke...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
OK, it seems to me that the single most important step to do to make sure one is successfull when going for VanCleef, is to make sure Bolty is not in your party, right? ;)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Ok, here's the rescheduling plan:

Van Cleef
Tomorrow at 5:00 PM Server Time (Pacific)

Shall we figure out which characters we're bringing? I can either bring TheDragoon (Level 23 Warrior) or Silverflail (Level 20 by tomorrow Priest). I think we only have one other Priest at that level and that player wants to bring a rogue instead.

Preliminary Cast of Characters:
Coronach (Level 21 Rogue)
Shalandrax (Level 25 Warrior)
Silverflail (Level 20 Priest)
Bolty (Level 22 Mage)
???

vs. Van Cleef and his piratical horde! :)
-TheDragoon
Perhaps I can join in with my Paladin? I think he is level 20 or so now, but can level him once or twice before that I think. Do note that I have not yet played ANY instance (except entered Shadowfang solo up to the courtyard which is appaearantly buggy and next to impossible currently.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Want the help of my lvl 19 druid? Freyrveyk will probably be able to be there.

One question though, where can I get the quests for Van Cleef? :(

And where is the area of the instance located? Just a warning, if I have to go into Stormwind to get the quests, I may not be able to come. When in Stormwind, I get about .01 fps. Like a slideshow, except that while it's not moving, it won't let you move or press any keys. So I have to move when it's not going really slow. Except it always is... :blink:

So, hopefully I can make it in with you guys!
TheDragoon,Jul 28 2004, 09:02 PM Wrote:Shalandrax (Level 25 Warrior)
Confirmed. I have the permission of my CO (the wife) to attend.
:lol:
-TheDragoon
For the Van Cleef quest, you can get the quest by finishing the series of quests titled "The Defias Brotherhood" which starts at Sentinel Hill by talking to Gryan Stoutmantle. The quests involve a lot of traveling and DOES have you go into Stormwind for a delivery (to Old Town, specifically).

You would also want to pick up the "Underground Assault" quest which is started by Shoni the Shilent in the Dwarven district of Stormwind.
-TheDragoon
Didn't you already beat that Van Cleef to a bloody pulp yet...?

How much can one NPC take?!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TheDragoon,Jul 29 2004, 09:53 AM Wrote:For the Van Cleef quest, you can get the quest by finishing the series of quests titled "The Defias Brotherhood" which starts at Sentinel Hill by talking to Gryan Stoutmantle.&nbsp; The quests involve a lot of traveling and DOES have you go into Stormwind for a delivery (to Old Town, specifically).&nbsp;

You would also want to pick up the "Underground Assault" quest which is started by Shoni the Shilent in the Dwarven district of Stormwind.
There are also the two given by dwarves in the Tavern in the Dwarven Sector of Lagwind.