Lag in game (uswest)
Not sure what is causing the problem. Any how, i play on uswest and it seems that when i stand still my ping is fine but when i start attacking things or run around my ping goes from around 200 up to in between 500 to 1000. It means that i'm either attacking something that is not there or i die without any chance of escape. I have a pretty good connection to the internet (512K) so i don't think this could be the problem (maybe it is??) I just wondered if there was any in game tweaking i can do ? Or any other suggestions of what the problem could be.

Cheers,
Jus
Damn it!! I just did a really nooby stuff up, but i'm a noob so that s ok.

Can a Mod please move this to the Diablo 2 general discussion please?
Battle.net lags. All the time. I've got a cable modem connection and there are still quite a few hours in the day where the game is all but unplayable. The best way to get the least lag is play during non-peak hours, like 3am-11am and sometimes in the middle of the afternoon. If you go on from 4pm-midnight, expect a lot of lag.

Anyways, your problem sounds pretty normal. When you're standing still there's very little interaction going on with the server, but once you start doing things it's often a game of "tag" between the client and the server, which is why you get lag spikes when you start moving around from a prone position.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
There are a lot of variables involved with 'lag', or internet latency. You might have a fast connection to the internet, but the internet is made of a bunch of networked computers, and if you have to journey through a lot of them on the way to uswest's server, that'll slow you down. Furthermore, Battle.net's servers, while fast, aren't capable of taking on peak usage hours without some slowdown. People who run bots to level characters and do mfing runs only add to the problem. (I wish Blizzard would be more aggressive with these guys.)

I might add that patch 1.10 made lag seem worse, and a bit more like playing D1 online. That is, monsters warp around the screen much more frequently, and it's even easier to see things hitting me in melee from across the screen, or watching my merc do likewise to a monster he is meleeing. It can be entertaining, or it can be frightening, but almost always it is annoying. Thus I play singleplayer 75% of the time.

Those of us who have full time jobs during the day don't have much hope of getting on during non-peak hours unless we get time off that doesn't coincide with school holidays.

On a good day, even my slow 56k connection allows me to play with relatively little lag. On a bad day, well, I play offline instead. ;)
Other things to note are the type of internet connection you have. you may have a really fast connection but a lot of DSL and some cable ISP's quality can fluctuate a lot between different people in the area and at different times.

With DSL the farther away you are from their hubs the worse your connection will generally be. I would reccomend to anyone with DSL connection to call your provider at least once every few months to check if the stations they have you running through are still the closest to your location. Lots of times they will build new hubs etc. but still route you through the older ones. (this is also a problem with cell phones. when you get your cell phones they never tell you that you need to personally come back to the store and have your software updated every now and then. If you don't update your cell software every few months all the new towers will not be recognized. after a while you won't get your calls or voice mail for days or weeks and then all at once you will get a million voice mail and missed call messages.)

With Cable and DSL depending on the time of day and how many other people in the area are using that same service at that time it can slow down a good bit. Also high speed data services don't like to upgrade individual users modems. So chances are you are using an old modem that is no longer efficient or optimized for that particular service. Call your provider and check to see if they are using a newer modem model.
Lag? Sometimes I wish all I had was lag. Sometimes the game will just freeze completely, and return after about 20 seconds. If I'm lucky, my merc and I will still be alive, but most often, I'll be face down in the durace with the rest of the undead stygians I just frozen orbed 20 seconds ago (before the lag.)

(*slighly drunk*)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
It seems that there's already a working dupe exploit or bot out for the new ladder ...

Just look at that new eBay auction in Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...8118336897&rd=1

It says that the auction winner can get ALL runes up to ZOD for the new ladder season 2.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Well that didn't take very long.

Oddly enough, if you look at the location (it's "Artikelstandort") it says closed, non-ladder. I might be missing something though, didn't bother to actually read the whole thing (aka copy/paste the text into the google translator, my German isn't quite at fluency yet).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Hail Wyrm,

in the description father below, it says "Closed Bnet Ladder (2)". I don't know if the description or the location is relevant as far as EBay goes... Anyway, I'm having fun playing D1 again with a few good men...

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
It's not just West, it's Europe too, probably the other two realms also

I've had the following

- Game freezes for several seconds
- Game freezes then I'm dumped to channel. Am able to re-enter realm
- Game freezes, dumped to channel, game gone
- Game freezes, connection lost, able to log on again
- Game freezes, connection lost, Realm Down

As a hardcore player I'm spending most of my time on my more lagproof builds, got my skelliemancer to Guardian already :)

No HC deaths yet
I'm curious about the "Realm Down" message. Several times yesterday I was dumped off of Battlenet and received that message on my screen. When I was eventually able to get back in, nobody else in the same game had had a problem. :huh:

I've also been having numerous problems with my router, and after connecting directly to the modem I had no further difficulties of the "Realm Down" sort. However that could be coincidental, and on the face of it doesn't make much sense anyway. So does Realm Down mean Realm Down, or not?
Well i know that my server blocks port that the game might use. I though i had unblocked them all, does anyone know what ports you have to keep open? I also connected straight to the modem after having the problems but still was laggy.

The thing is that i have 2 ISP's at the moment. (old ISP and New ISP) The old isp is stable the new one is not. The new ISP offers really good plans and the old ISP is really bad for plans and customer service. The only thing good about them is the old ISP is their speed :(
Juzlee,Jul 16 2004, 05:37 AM Wrote:Not sure what is causing the problem. Any how, i play on uswest and it seems that when i stand still my ping is fine but when i start attacking things or run around my ping goes from around 200 up to in between 500 to 1000. It means that i'm either attacking something that is not there or i die without any chance of escape.  I have a pretty good connection to the internet (512K) so i don't think this could be the problem (maybe it is??) I just wondered if there was any in game tweaking i can do ? Or any other suggestions of what the problem could be.

Cheers,
Jus
Many causes for lags:

-a slow computer/lack of memory:upgrade the processor and/or the video card and/or add memory and/or change for a bigger hard drive

-spyware/adware/parasite progs:delete temporary files,clean cookies,clean history websites,run a virus scanner before playing,run a spyware/adware scanner (spybot and adware to get rid of the trash)

-too many progs are loaded when you start windows:uncheck starting progs (start up menu,msconfig,uncheck box starting progs) except the firewall and internet prog

-other hardware issues;a bad modem or a long wire (between the computer and the plug) for instance

-a bad internet provider,distance issues,number of internet user in your area;even with a good connection,the more people share bandwith in your area,the more lags for you;and I've often heard that DSL is better than cable concerning bandwidth