How do you prevent treasure-swallowing?
Very often when I kill the hydra-spawning fiends in Mephisto's 3rd Durance, I get no treasure. Sometimes only gold will drop, but extremely rarely will an item actually appear. I'm using a sorceress with fireball, meteor and frozen orn, and whatever I use to kill them with, my reward equals zero.

It's as if the items are being swallowed into the ether - some other dimension (And I'm not talking about act 4 :)). I've started doing Andy-runs, and I notice the same thing when I take down The Maiden of Anguish. Not as often as with the hydra-people, but still too often for comfort, she will drop nothing, or gold, or just 1 item.

How can I prevent this from happening? Should I make my merc do the finishing blow? I've been reluctant to try this, seeing as the merc doesn't have any MF, whilst my lvl 54 "wcip_Willow" has upwards of about 250% magic find.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
If you kill anything voer water, the drop falls to the water, thus lost.

There are areas in Durance that has the same effect (close to the stairs, etc.)

I know nothing about this with Andy (maybe if you kill her close to the pond?)
Pillars and walls will also swallow items. This is what happens most often in Cat 4 for andy. if you kill her next to a piller or she works her way down around the walls by the large door chances are your items will get eaten. I haven't had much of a problem in Durence 3 with this but have noticed it a lot in Travincal where there are the two large ponds and many walls and pillars to block item drops.
[ Wrote:Angel,Jul 17 2004, 06:36 PM] Should I make my merc do the finishing blow? I've been reluctant to try this, seeing as the merc doesn't have any MF, whilst my lvl 54 "wcip_Willow" has upwards of about 250% magic find.
Your mercenary's magic find is augmented by your own; if your x% MF-wearing mercenary kills anything whilst you yourself are wearing 250% MF, then drops will be calculated as if your merc had (250+x)% MF. So in your case with your merc carrying 0%, there'll be no difference no matter which of you gets the finishing blow.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Thanks for the info, lfd.

As for ponds and walls. I am killing things in the open. Unless the ground their standing on is considered a wall, there is absolutely no reason why the items should just go all Bermuda Triangle on me.
I did some research and discovered that I am rewarded *much* better if I allow my mercenary to make the finishing blow on Andariel.

Another question: Is this suppose to happen:
[Image: Dualdrop.jpg]

Can 2 of the same set item drop on the same boss or is this a bug?
Quote:Can 2 of the same set item drop on the same boss or is this a bug?

There has never been any restriction on multiple set items dropping. Getting two of the same one from the same monster isn't abnormal, though it is unlikely. This lack of restriction is most noticeable with Isenhart's Case :P.

There is a restriction on uniques. You can only find at most one of a given unique in each game. I have heard of quite a few cases where this restriction was broken, but those are bugs/glitches.
I have had exactly the same problems with the same monsters , especially with durance 3 and the drops near walls . Also I was thinking about posting about the Andy "no drop" for a couple of weeks and never got round to it . I have however been able to reproduce the "no drop" on quite a number of occasions , these occur between the 2 pillars on your screenshot , going backover to the second set of pillars , even on the carpet inbetween those 4 pillars , anywhere else she drops fine . Like your drop , she dropped 2 x sigons armour together only yesterday :)

Take care .
Take care
But for me it's not every once in a while; it's every time. If I make the finishing blow, I get nothing. If my merc does it, I get normal drops. Kind of silly, since I have to make sure I don't ruin the whole run by accidentally killing Andariel. :blink:
adeyke,Jul 19 2004, 09:14 PM Wrote:This lack of restriction is most noticeable with Isenhart's Case :P.
LOL. yeah, i've had a drop of 3 Isenhart cases from Andy before. I think i would have prefered the "only gold" drop.
adeyke,Jul 19 2004, 09:14 PM Wrote:There is a restriction on uniques.  You can only find at most one of a given unique in each game.  I have heard of quite a few cases where this restriction was broken, but those are bugs/glitches.
Multiple uniques dropped in 1.08

Anecdotes of multiple uniques dropping may date from then
There have been a couple of people asking about multiple unique drops in their game here recently and about 3 months ago (1.10), two Chance Guards dropped within 2 minutes in the same game for me.
So I believe there ARE these bugs/glitches even now.

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
few things about a mf merc.

try looking for an eth elite pole/lance and make honor. thats easy to get the runes to make, its got nice mods, dmg, life leech.
then give him a 4 topaz plate and a 3 topaz helm.

when i mf or goldfind with my barbs i'll let my merc kill the monster (for the most mf/gf) then i'll use a max lev Find Item skill on the dead for the chance for a 2nd full drop. the barb has a killing weapon and on his switch 2mf items. for any other class you can also have your kill items on one switch and your mf stuff on the 2nd. just make sure you have the mf stuff out when you or your merc get the last hit.

doing that you could get +3800% goldfind or 1500%mf?
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.