Laptop for College
It's actually similiarly priced to the Dell Inspiron XPS (their Gaming Rig). Dell's lower end models start around $1K, so getting to $2,500 is not too difficult whoever the supplier. I bought that laptop at ~$2200 for one of my power users, with no complaints.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Munkay wrote:
Quote:From experience powerbooks are tanks. They are well designed and easy to type on while intoxicated. Also if you happen to spill a beer all over the keyboard, your girlfriend will never find out. the keyboard is designed perfectly against leaks. There was not one resulting issue from the beer incident. And THAT is a type of computer you want for college . . . a partner in crime.

If you need a tough laptop check out the Panasonic Toughbook. Several of my friends deployed in Iraq swear by them. They see electronic equipment fail every day and the toughbooks keep right on going.

Toughbook testing procedures
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Currently I'm running a Toshiba M30 (1.5 GHz Centrino). At first I doubted the actual performace that doubling the L2 cache would bring but now... Well, let just say that since getting it, my 2.5GHz Desktop has laid completely dormant. It's handle all my current games just fine, but I have yet to try any next gen games (read: HL2 and Doom3) on it yet. When I get my hands on them I'm going to have to run some comparative testing, but for now I'm loving it.

But I haven't even got to what I love most about this laptop: I took it on a trip and started using it at 12pm the day we were driving home. We arrived home around 5pm and I still had 12 minutes of battery life. Now that's impressive.

As for negatives... I keep missing that damn 'o' button when I type (grrrrrr!). I guess I'll get used to this keyboard some day.

I think the centrinos are up around 1.7 now, so you can get some serious power out of the higher end models. HOWEVER, it should be noted that companies are starting to simply add 12 cell batteries rather than use centrinos (which still mostly use 6 cells). What this means is that the battery life is basically comparable for 6 cell centrinos and 12 cell regular laptops. Just some food for thought.

-Ryethe
The government makes paper airplanes out of our lives and files us out the windows. (Obasan)
edited
What type of topics can be posted here, what things we can post in off-topic boards?
People who were born when this thread was last active are almost old enough to vote now. That's an impressive necro.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Right?  This thread has it all, from discussion of college life 17 years ago to posts by Lochnar.

Anyway, Google our dear Mr. Page Robert spambot's post in full and you can see there was a surge of that spam in September 2020 across online web forums, only to apparently go dormant again until this week.  It fascinates me how these bots operate. Does anyone know what the function of these posts are? Is it to farm up postable accounts for mass sale, akin to Reddit karma farming? That's about all I can think of.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
My friend has Toshiba M30 (1.5 GHz Centrino