PvP Server
Cryptic,Jul 19 2004, 10:31 PM Wrote:Ah well, thanks for the information.  It sounds like I won’t be on the FvF servers at all.  :)  It might be fun if there was at least a disincentive for ganking – say, an honor/dishonor system.  If you fight and kill a higher level character, you gain honor.  Say you’re level 20 and you kill a level 25 – you get 5 honor points.  Dishonor occurs when you kill characters of lower level.  If you have honor, you gain titles and appear on a “realm charter of heroes.”  If you have dishonor, you actually lose XP when you commit another dishonorable kill, according to how bad your dishonor is.
This wouldn't work. If you were level n, you'd have oodles of level n-1 swarming you for the honor. It would just be yet another form of griefing.
Yeah, I know I keep poking at the DAoC thing. Regardless of some flaws in the system, there is one element that made me really enjoy PvP in that game more than any others, and if WoW did something akin to it, I'd be more likely to play in that environment:

PvP was entirely your choice. I could level from 1 to 50 without ever setting foot in a PvP area. I could level from around 20 to 50 entirely in PvP areas. It was always in my hands and it was always my decision, and that made it much easier for me to enjoy it. I didn't care if I got ganked by a full group of eight swarming me as I was tracking across the frontier. I knew I'd made the choice to go there, and that I could go back home anytime I wanted.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
>>This wouldn't work. If you were level n, you'd have oodles of level n-1 swarming you for the honor. It would just be yet another form of griefing.

Why would the adaptation of tactics have to be one-sided? If you're Alliance level 8, and Horde level 7s are sniping you, the Alliance level 6s would be after the 7s. The 7s, caught between you and them, would have serious trouble on their hands. The circle doesn't necessarily end on either side of the equation.
MongoJerry,Jul 20 2004, 07:06 PM Wrote:Ah, you must not be aware of how the FvF server is setup.&nbsp; Newbie zones and slightly higher zones are designated as faction territory.&nbsp; If you are a member of that faction in your own territory, you cannot be attacked by players of the other faction unless you first initiate combat yourself.&nbsp;

Indeed, I was not aware of this. So there is a means of protection in place. Good to know. Thanks.
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Similar to how the BG series and Morrowind did things. It would be pretty nifty for faction NPCs to attack on sight once you reach a certain notoriety.

Still, I'm gonna stick to the PvE server; consentual PvP ("dueling") is a lot of fun.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Cryptic,Jul 21 2004, 05:57 PM Wrote:Why would the adaptation of tactics have to be one-sided?&nbsp; If you're Alliance level 8, and Horde level 7s are sniping you, the Alliance level 6s would be after the 7s.&nbsp; The 7s, caught between you and them, would have serious trouble on their hands.&nbsp; The circle doesn't necessarily end on either side of the equation.
Then you hit the level cap and you might as well start a new character.
I'm happy with the current set up of consensual PvP as it applies to the PvE server, for the moment. Mainly because high levels can destroy low level characters without much/any difficulty, and on the PvE server, it's avoidable. In the current scheme of things, you can either look at other faction players as just players enjoying the game as you are, or as "horde scum". If you want, you can turn PvP on, and see who of the horde scum challenges you (although, it's most likely going to be a higher or equal level player). But most times, just playing with other players, regardless of faction, is safe and enjoyable.

I was wandering the Alterac Mountains and ran into some Undeads. If it was the PvP server, I would have been dead meat. Instead, I talked to one of them and asked for directions to South Shore. Nice fella, that undead chap. It's kind of weird, seeing a Paladin and an Undead Priest have a friendly conversation.

The other situation I was in on the PvE server was when I was mixing it up in the Barrens with a Horde Guard. I was about finish him, when out of the blue, a couple of level 40somes come out of nowhere and blast me into oblivion. (I thought that plains running for the Tauren Warrior was really useful, as he just turned it on and caught up with me in seconds, after which he effortlessly clobbered my at-the-time level 30 Paladin as soon as my Divine Protection wore off.) This is what I get for attacking a horde outpost all by myself. Despite my death, I feel that this is appropriate; I initiated combat, and I was subsequently demolished by the higher up passer-bys.

If I was on the PvP server, in both of those situations, I would have died almost instantly (rather than just dieing in the one), and it would have (needlessly) slowed my progress into unknown territory. Since I'm on the PvE server, both situations are survivable, and I got where I was going without much grief.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I assume that Undead can speak Common? We Tauren can only speak Orcish and Taurahe (though it would be nice to be able to learn languages), so what non-Horde members Say comes out as gibberish, and vice-versa.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Yeah, as far as I know, they can speak Orcish and Common at the least. I've not played one yet, though.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*