Aborb and max resistance
Hello,

I would like to know what is the difference between absorb and max resistance;if I am not wrong,max resistance is the resistance after adding the negative points of nightmare and hell (is it right?);how is absorb calculated ?
Is the % of absorb better than the points of absorb? For instance,I have a wisp projector with 20 % absorb and a thundergods belt with "20 to absorb";which one would be better to absorb? the % or the points?

Thanks in advance
No.

Resistance is normally capped at 75%. If you have +10% max resistance, it's instead capped 85%. That's all max resistance does.

Absorb is different. It reduces the damage you take by a certain amount and it gives you that damage back as life.

As for +absorb and %absorb, it just depends on how much damage they're dealing. If you take 100 damage (after resistance), the 20% and the +20 are equivalent. If it's more damage, the 20% is better. If it's less damage, the +20 is better.
abramelin Wrote:max resistance is the resistance after adding the negative points of nightmare and hell (is it right?)

swirch "max" for some word like "total" and you got it. Max is just the highest you can get.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
So,max resistance is only useful when resistance is already capped at 75 %;when resistance exceeds 75 % but is capped at 75 %,does this extra resistance stack with max resistance? or is it "lost" ?
Abramelin,Jul 24 2004, 03:35 PM Wrote:So,max resistance is only useful when resistance is already capped at 75 %;when resistance exceeds 75 % but is capped at 75 %,does this extra resistance stack with max resistance? or is it "lost" ?
I am not completely sure if I am answering your question, but hopefully I am clearifying what was already said.

But the maximum resistance a character can have sans items/equipment is always 75%. If you had an armor that adds +5% to maximum cold resistance, the new cap for resistance would be 80%. The attribute of adding to maximum resistance ONLY increases the possible resistance, it does not actually give resistance.

Although it is very important to note many +% resist maximum items also have the modifier that gives resistance as well.

Unless you have maximum resistance increasing gear on, resistances past 75% are "lost." If there is increased maximum resistance equipment, it only allows to whatever the new maximum is (in my earlier example this would be 80% for cold) is, and if there is still more resistances, it is still "lost" past 80.

I hope this helps.

-Munk
New Transmission.
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
edited
Minor nit: resistances over and above your "cap" (whether that be 75, 95, or anything in between) are not entirely useless. Be it for PvP or fighting that conviction boss (or that pesky lower resist curse) "stacking" resistances well past the maximum can allow you to simply ignore an otherwise crippling loss of resistances. While I'm not a dueler myself, I understand "stacking" to be a fairly common (neccessary?) strategy for fighting cold sorcs, conviction + FotH pallys, etc.

That being said, except under those circumstances where your resists have been lowered in some way, any resists that bring you over the cap are indeed wasted.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"