OK, a new suggestion
Yeah, they were the same person, which made an IP ban that much easier. ;) Since I can't think of anything we might have done lately to anger a newcomer, my guess is that it's someone who was IP banned on the old forums. Just as the friendly lurkers are still dropping in from time to time with an "OMG I didn't realize this place was still running", I think the unfriendly ones happen by from time to time, too.

The funny thing was, I hadn't planned to be on at all last night. I had plans to go to an overnight event with my daughter. But, I had the dates wrong, so we missed the event. :( I checked in on the forums while little Gris was wailing angrily through the house. I deleted some tubgirl pics and some spam, and by the time I was done, she was feeling better and we went to a late movie.

While it seemed terrible last night, and is worse than we've seen here in quite some time, I think in the grand scheme of things it wasn't such a big deal. How much of this will we remember in a month? A year? While I'm sorry that anyone had to see those pictures here, it still amounted to less than half a day of "downtime". It's just unfortunate that the forums were still up until I could come by and clean everything up.

I think the idea of *limiting* posts made by new posters is a good idea, but I do want to be careful and think about legitimate reasons that new posters might want to post immediately. There are usually as many guests as members browsing these forums. At some point, I'm sure that one of these guests will make a discorvery that they want to share, or have information that they can contribute to a thread. That's when they're going to register. They're not going to register ahead of time because they might want to post some day in the future.

Also, I believe that allowing at least some posting right after registration will help this site continue to have an atmosphere of collaboration, and not competition. Sometimes information, events, and discoveries start at one site, but are discussed (and often, further refined) at another. When this happens, sometimes people from one site might register at another site to participate in that discussion. I think an example of this is when the new rune words were discovered. XShadow began participating in the discussion at the Basin and on the battle.net forums. I may be mistaken, but I believe he was a new member of the Basin at the time (or at least someone who hadn't posted there very often). I want to continue to give people the flexibility to pop into the Lounge if they've made a discovery elsewhere that's being discussed here. If the waiting period were too harsh, I don't think that they would.

Of course, no newcomer needs the ability to come in and make 40 posts in an hour or so (there were 36 offending posts in total last night). There is a happy medium in there somewhere, and it would behoove us to look for it.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
If another one of these happens within a certain amount of time, than post limiting might be a good idea. Limiting people based on threads would probably work better because if someone spams crap in one thread it's much easier to avoid. Something like 1 new thread an hour for a few days, after that tey can post in those threads as much as they want, and if spam comes the threads are easy to avoid. Of course whether that can be programmed is up for grabs.

At the beginning I was thinkingthe paladin guy except he wasn't banned so that's out.

And I guess people noticed it so much because no one has seen something quite like that before. Seeing the same two names in every thread was really obvious.

There go those reports.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Is it possible to keep new members from potting pics for the first 2 weeks? I know that people can still create trouble with words and spamming, but it would limit the damage.
Griselda,Jul 25 2004, 12:16 PM Wrote:(there were 36 offending posts in total last night)
A testament to the excellent job that Gris and the other moderators do is that, without this thread, I would not be aware that such an atrocity had occurred. I saw a couple edits of banned member posts and thought that some kiddie must have come in and spouted a few obscenities like the little child who finds a word that gets a reaction out of their parents. I had no idea that someone had spammed something as vile as tubgirl. The LL had been "sanitized for my protection". Thank you. I find I must also repeat what I have said many times before. Thank you to Bolty, Our Fine Moderator Team, and all the regulars who maintain this bastion of sanity. It is the only forum I feel the need to check in on as part of my routine for starting my day.

[edit]While "the Gris" is probably fitting for the excellent way she wields her super powers, I decided it was better to fix the wording to what I thought I had typed (and previewed :blink: ).[/edit]

[edit2]Wow! I always read The Lounge last (always have been a "save the best for last" kind of guy), so I hadn't seen what happened there. I opened it and was amazed at how active it had been and then I saw all the Last post by's. Amazing.[/edit2]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB Wrote:I saw a couple edits of banned member posts and thought that some kiddie must have come in and spouted a few obscenities like the little child who finds a word that gets a reaction out of their parents.

That's the first thing they did with all the lounge threads for a page and some more, than they switched names and other stuf happened. And that was a lot of stuff to clean up. Now things go back to normal.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I am all for setting something like a 3 day time limit before posting, if not longer. I'm not sure if anyone else caught this other than Griselda and me, but there were nasty pictures in 3 different threads, all made within 15 minutes of the posters' registration. Luckily, Gris was on her nearly constant watch, but what about when the moderators aren't around? Something needs to be done.
WWBBD?
A bunch of people saw this. There are some slightly different ideas for keeping that stuff down in this thread if you haven't read them.

People were spamming tubgirl again? When?
Never. This thread is still all about the same time early in the month.