music issue
The act 5 music has stopped playing on my computer in D2. The rest of it is fine. Does anyone know why this happened and how to deal with it? everything else in the game is fine except the act 5 music.

If it comes down the reinstalling it will single player characters from the first install be saved in the second install? I had other games where this worked but just want to make sure. I can get the characters either way but wanted to get as much info as possible.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Just take the saved game files and copy them to your desktop, then put them back in the folder after you reinstall.
Try copying the d2xmusic.mpq file from the expansion CD to your diablo 2 folder.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Speaking of that, is there a way to keep the CD from spinning up everytime I go into act5. It's caused such bad delays occaisionally that I've had to disable music as a whole. It only happens in act5, and I'm guessing its due to this seperate file.

Suggestions? I've missed the music :)

-Munk
Copy all the mpq files from the disks onto your hard drive. Do not overwrite d2sfx.mpq and d2char.mpq as they contain the cdkey's. (actually dont overwrite any mpq's unless you have a suspicion that they are corrupt. )

Another solution to the cd'spin problem is to make a hardisk based copy of your d2 cd, then mount it using daemon tools, turning on the anti-copy protection emulation.
Where do you find the save files? I'm on windows xp.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Aug 2 2004, 03:01 PM Wrote:Where do you find the save files? I'm on windows xp.
If you look in the folder in which you installed D2, you will see a sub-folder called "save". Look in this folder and you should see a bunch of files along the lines of "charname.xxx" where charname is the name of your SP character and .xxx is a variety of extensions including .d2s, .map, .ma0, .ma1, etc. The files you want to back up are the ones with the .d2s extension--these are the character save files. The rest of the files with the other extensions are of no consequence for backup purposes.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
Munkay,Aug 2 2004, 04:36 AM Wrote:Speaking of that,  is there a way to keep the CD from spinning up everytime I go into act5.  It's caused such bad delays occaisionally that I've had to disable music as a whole.  It only happens in act5, and I'm guessing its due to this seperate file.
Daemon Tools is your friend. Never got around to memorising the link, but Google should have all the answers.

And for the record I used to have a helluva lot of problems with Act 5 music too, but all that vanished the day I switched from hard, clunky, agonisingly painful CDs to virtual drives and a dumped ISO of my LoD disc.

Edit: And for the record, yes it is a seperate file. Ever wondered why when you do a full install of D2C the LoD installation still asks for the D2 Play CD? Because D2's full install leaves a few MPQs on the CD, the music MPQ being one of them. Since a full LoD installation runs off just the LoD CD, it gets these files off the D2 Play CD, since there'll be no need for the Play CD.

However, the LoD's music is on its own CD in a seperate MPQ file, naturally. Even if you do a full LoD install (Upgrade Installation from the launcher) this will remain on the CD and will never be installed automatically on the hard drive where it would be the most use. Truth is, Blizzard really suck with their CD-writing methods, though not as badly as Interplay. Nearly every Blizzard game I own (And I own them all except WC1 and WC3) has spin-up troubles when loading, or in the case of D1 spin-ups whenever items are dropped. Hence, a virtual drive is the best solution to this problem.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
i got the issue dealt with. Thanks for the info about xp.

Quote:Daemon Tools is your friend. Never got around to memorising the link, but Google should have all the answers.

Daemon can be download from my friends' website http://www.domainjosh.com
Simpler solution for D2: I copied the uncopied MPQs from the CD after installing D2, and again after installing LoD. Spinup and missing music problems solved. No special software needed.

D1: I copied the main MPQ to the root of my gaming partition, edited the registry to let Diablo know where the MPQ was, and run Diablosaver with the NoCD option enabled every time I want to play Diablo w/o requiring a CD.

Now if only I could find a way to trick D2 into letting me view the hi-res versions of the videos on my aged system. My gripe is that the speed-detection code is not completely accurate. I can, for instance, view the hi-res videos without a problem using RADTools' players, so there's no good reason for the game to keep giving me the lo-res versions to watch. (I usually skip them because they are so pixelated and ugly.)