New Graphics Card...
I recently bought and installed a nVidia GeForce FX 5200, spent 3 hours finding the right drives, and now Diablo 2 won't work. The videotest just locks up completely (BSOD), and I REALLY wanna play Diablo2. Any ideas on how to fix it?

--Nantuko
[Image: KenyaSig.png]

[wcip Wrote:Angel,Jul 2 2004, 11:19 AM]
unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?
I have the same video card, and Diablo 2 wouldn't work until I changed the renderer from Direct 3d to Direct 2d. If you cant get into the video test tho it doens't like that is an option for you. Have you updated from windows update? Also, make sure hardware acceleration is at full.

Edit: ELOHEL I just noticed your sig. Did I really say that?
yup. I remember reading that.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
This may sound a bit silly, and I admit it is. Is both this card and your old card AGP?

Because I have a PCI Voodoo 3 that I use and an onboard mobo card (Yeah, I spent a total of 100$ on my computer, its a horrible horrible peice of crap, but it gets the job done). You could always run a second crappier video card as well, and disable the GeForce FX 5200 just long enough to get through the video test. D2 is far from a video card exhaustive program, and could easily be run on a second, very cheap, video card. If your old card was AGP (and I'm guessing your new one is AGP) then you could always spot 10$ and pick up a Vodoo at any local computer store (Not a chain store, one of those silly little shops with cheap old items).

Now I realize just for d2 this is utterly ridiculous, but I love two video cards for one major reason: Dual monitornation. I have two 21's that I hook up side by side. Its glorious fun to play d2 and still be able to chat online/surf for d2 related questions, without skipping a beat in D2.

Now this is utterly silly, but its just a suggestion from the Tech-Impared.

-Munk
The reason there is a video test is not to exclude people with incompatible video cards; the purpose is to make sure that Diablo 2 will function properly. The Video Test is conducted both in Direct3d and Direct2d, so that isn't a very good workaround. If his video card is messing up in any part of the video test, then it will doubtfully run d2.

Also, you don't need 2 video cards for two monitors... Just plug two monitors into your one video card.
Here's a weird story for ya along these lines.

I have had for years a Voodoo3 3000 AGP in my K62-400 system, and it has done fairly well, though I can't play any of the modern games. It will run D2 just fine, so long as I don't have 8 actual players on the screen at once, don't build summoners of any type, and run with most of Foxbat's lag reduction methods enabled.

So one day I decided to get this ATI Radeon 9200, packaged by STI Labs. I get it installed, download the latest drivers, fire up D2's video tester and try things out. Result: sluggish gameplay and menu animations in all modes, though DirectDraw was a bit faster than Direct3D, neither mode was safely playable. I tried re-installing D2 and LoD; same result. I tried re-installing the card with the drivers that came on the CD; same result.

I tried logging onto Battle.net and yet more weirdness ensued. While I could connect to my ISP normally, using 56k dialup, it seemed to take forever to log onto Battle.net and get to the character selection screen. However, only once was I able to actually log on with a character and get into a public channel, and when that happened, you could watch the frames of animation occur and count them off. All other attempts resulted in failure; no message saying realm down or anything, the game just seemed to hang when I selected a character to log in with, and it stayed that way until I clicked cancel.

Finally, after much frustration, I uninstalled the ATI drivers, re-installed my Voodoo3 and it's drivers, did the video test and selected Glide, and then I was back in business. D2 ran great, and Battle.net was accessible again. All of this occured over a period of about a month. The ATI card is sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

I've had trouble with ATI cards in the past, but was seeing positive reviews of the Radeon line, so I figured I'd try it out. Maybe it just didn't like my old system. I don't know.

In addition, I'm still running Win98SE and my system has 384 megs of system memory.
Newer hardware is always going to have a problem with older games; sometimes games that aren't so old. My friends and I have fairly modern (not particularly powerful, but modern) computers and none of us can run Morrowind and Black & White. Go figure :huh:
Sometimes it's better to bite my tongue than start a dialogue. :ph34r:
Smoketest,Jul 30 2004, 07:54 PM Wrote:In addition, I'm still running Win98SE and my system has 384 megs of system memory.
That reminds me of the days when you had to buy ram in matching multiples so the sticks would be recognized correctly. <_<
Where the RAM sticks costed over 100dollars :P..

Like friend of mine bought a PC back then, 4500 dollar, a 286 computer :P.........
unrealshadow13,Jul 30 2004, 10:50 PM Wrote:I have the same video card, and Diablo 2 wouldn't work until I changed the renderer from Direct 3d to Direct 2d. If you cant get into the video test tho it doens't like that is an option for you. Have you updated from windows update? Also, make sure hardware acceleration is at full.

Edit: ELOHEL I just noticed your sig. Did I really say that?
I have the same video card in one of my machines (AGP version), and it worked fine with D2 - I can't remember whether I selected D3D or D2D, to be honest, but I didn't have anywhere near the problems the original poster is having. I would suggest a reinstall, because it sounds like bits are corrupted somewhere, or there's something else been changed that is actually causing the problem, cos the card certainly works with D2.

I think there's a post on the Amazon Basin about a Glide Emulation Layer for Windows that will effectively emulate the glide interface for a non-glide card; that would allow you to select the Glide mode in the video test (assuming you can get it to run) and that might run better. YMMV.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Keep in mind that the chipset, the Geforce FX 5200, is NOT the entire card. A variety of different companies make video cards using that chipset. Do you know what brand yours is? I have the Verto PNY version.
Same here, I have the Verto PNY version.

unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?
It's most likely a hardware compatibility problem, or a problem with the drivers. Did you uninstall the old drivers? Try reinstalling in safe mode.

Also, will it run your other games?
Yes, I uninstalled the old drivers, and it runs Nightfire just fine.

Is Nightfire an OpenGL or a Direct3d based game?
I'm not sure... sorry.

This is a bit weird, since I have a GeForce FX 5600 TiVo and it's working fine in Direct3D. :huh:

Due to the similarities between the cards, it's surprising if it's incompatible. Do you use the official drivers from www.nvidia.com?

Anyway, the reason modern cards perform worse than older Voodoo cards is because this game is optimized for Glide. Unfortunately, Blizzard made the wrong choice there since they soon after went out of business. It's not because modern graphics cards are lacking something older ones had, but simply because Blizzard's Direct3D coding is a sloppy piece of junk. ;) It's amazing the game can run slow on hardware that wasn't invented when the game was released. :P
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
I got them off the CD included by the manufacturer.