general computer question
Hello,

since a few weeks diablo2lod1.10 single player gets stuk once in awhile (once every hour or so).
The computer (XPpro, athlon1000, 32mbgeforce (at least I think)) seems to work fine for other things (never have problems except for half of the times when starting up windows I have to shut down and turn on the monitor again becuase it gives a black screen).

A year ago I had all kinds of problems with diablo (computer resetted while playing, but since then some hardware was replaced). I did not install, it but I copied the whole diablo2 folder from another PC because my cd drive (always working) gives problems when I try to install D2. (CD seems okay because it gives no problem on other computers, CD drives seem okay because I never have troubles with them.
So now after a year playing D2 with almost no problems (I even finished hell for the first time (barb)) it start getting stuck again.

Does anybody here have an idea what might be the problem. Or shall I just format an reinstall everything. (I am a bit scared of that because before my problems also seemed windows related (98 and 2000 are a mess).

Thanks in advance,
eppie
eppie,Aug 3 2004, 08:29 AM Wrote:Hello,

since a few weeks diablo2lod1.10 single player gets stuk once in awhile (once every hour or so).
The computer (XPpro, athlon1000, 32mbgeforce (at least I think)) seems to work fine for other things (never have problems except for half of the times when starting up windows I have to shut down and turn on the monitor again becuase it gives a black screen).

A year ago I had all kinds of problems with diablo (computer resetted while playing, but since then some hardware was replaced). I did not install, it but I copied the whole diablo2 folder from another PC because my cd drive (always working) gives problems when I try to install D2. (CD seems okay because it gives no problem on other computers, CD drives seem okay because I never have troubles with them.
So now after a year playing D2 with almost no problems (I even finished hell for the first time (barb)) it start getting stuck again.

Does anybody here have an idea what might be the problem. Or shall I just format an reinstall everything. (I am a bit scared of that because before my problems also seemed windows related (98 and 2000 are a mess).

Thanks in advance,
eppie
Hello,

I may have had the same issue as yours with my old computer a while ago;it is a Duron with 512 Mb RAM;it used to get black screens after creating and loading a game online;I had to wait +30 seconds in order to let my computer load before creating a game;actually it was caused by a lack of memory;so I added 256 Mb RAM and the problem was solved
I guess that you have the same problem,that is a lack of memory;when windows loads too many progs ,starting a game which takes all memory ressources can cause a freezing of the computer or a black screen when a game is loaded
Does the black screen happen when you create a game? If it does,wait +30 seconds after leaving a game,before creating another one;if you have less black screens,the the problem is a lack of RAM

The 1000 mhz and the 32 mb of your video card don't help to run diablo ;a 64 mb video card and a faster processor would be better ;try to unload some progs at startup:run/msconfig/startup progs/ uncheck some progs and keep the minimum (firewall,isp) to see if you get better results
I hope it helps and let me know if it works

~~Abramelin~~
I would think you'd actually have to install the game for it to work, for the registry settings anyways, unless the game creates them on it's own when you run the vid test/game executables (I have no idea how Diablo handles this).

I doubt the problem is with your video card, I had the game running fine on a Riva TNT with 16 megs (I think, it may have been 32, but I don't think so) of video memory.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Hi, thanks for you responses so far.

The black screen I get when I start up windows, so nothing to do with D2 yet.

The game doe snot have to be installed. I can just copy the Diablo2 folder from another computer. I do of course need the CD to start up.

another strange thing happened yesterday. When using ATMA my computer also got stuck twice in a row. (and with stuck I mean that only resetting works).

So it only gets stuck when doing diablorelated things, for the rest it works fine.

(checking the lurkerlounge and wordfiles with cube recipes work though :D )
I ran Diablo II fine on a 350 mhz proccy, 128 mbs of ram, and 8 mb video card. The actual system reqs are even lower.