Is anyone NOT going to play a Hunter next patch?
If they ever let anyone else into the beta you would have fresh blood to play different things. You guys need to pressure them to let in more testers! Yeah, that's it....

*bitter*

*bitter*

*bitter*

Sorry for the pointless post, but every now and then I have to let the bitter out.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Pet Happiness/Feeding
Your pet has a happiness rating. This is shown via an icon in the top left corner of the screen. As you continue to use your pet, it becomes less and less happy. However, if you feed your pet with food (raw/cooked), it increases their happiness. Happiness will determine damage output, so your pet will get weaker when he's unhappy. If you neglect your pet too much, it will abandon you and may even attack you!
I've got to say, this sounds more annoying than fun. It's just additional micro-management that you'd have to take care of. I mean, it's not like we have to make our characters do mundane tasks unless there's some added benefit. This whole happiness idea is just going to mean that Hunters will have to carry more food around and stop every once in a while to make their pet "happy."

Unless they do something to make this more interesting (like giving different types of pets favorite foods that give other bonuses), I foresee this just being really annoying for the class.
-TheDragoon
I'm sorry, but I really want to play a Hunter. It and the druid are the two that I was waffling between before I got into the beta (Mage was a lark that turned out well), and the druid implementation has been more frustrating for me than fun so far (though I've hope that'll change). If we really do end up with all the usual suspects playing Hunters, I'll try to co-level something else that'll help the group out as well, if I have the time. I'd really like to focus on the one class though.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I am so looking forward to getting my Tamagochi! :P
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Crusader,Aug 8 2004, 10:03 PM Wrote:I am so looking forward to getting my Tamagochi! :P
Didn't someone in Japan suicide because of his Tamagochi? :ph34r:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I think the Hunter craze will die out. They're probably going to end up being melee Warlocks, fancy-pants non-evil, minimal magic using Warlocks (I associate Warlocks with evil, since a warlock is a male witch, and witches are, well, witches).

We'll see a bunch of Hunters pop up (mine included), but I wouldn't worry about Hunter fever sticking. After all, you don't see all that many Warlocks around (at least, I don't).
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
TheDragoon,Aug 8 2004, 11:19 AM Wrote:
Quote:Pet Happiness/Feeding
Your pet has a happiness rating. This is shown via an icon in the top left corner of the screen. As you continue to use your pet, it becomes less and less happy. However, if you feed your pet with food (raw/cooked), it increases their happiness. Happiness will determine damage output, so your pet will get weaker when he's unhappy. If you neglect your pet too much, it will abandon you and may even attack you!
I've got to say, this sounds more annoying than fun. It's just additional micro-management that you'd have to take care of. I mean, it's not like we have to make our characters do mundane tasks unless there's some added benefit. This whole happiness idea is just going to mean that Hunters will have to carry more food around and stop every once in a while to make their pet "happy."
It does say raw/cooked food. You may be able to feed them meat from killed mobs like bears.
n0 t3xtz0rz!

*cough* Er, sorry. No text.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I will not be playing a Hunter, simply because I don't want to be "just another" Hunter out there. This was the first patch where I DIDN'T play a warrior, and I'm thinking about going back to it. And moreso, I was thinking about picking back up with SaxyMoo (Tauran Warrior), and keep going with him.

I'm too casual a player to start a character over if I have to. It just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, it would allow me to test tanking for a younger character, and to see what it does for them - being how quickly or slowly they will build up thier Defense skill. Makes me wonder about several things with regards to that - in taking a level 18 char, and tanking doing the whole power levelling for a new character, are you really helping them or hurting them? In Diablo II, you were helping them hands down, as long as you were partied.

Now granted, taking out bosses and other things would be easier than they would be if you had someone that was your same level, but the things behind the scenes that we normally take for granted (swords, axe, defense, shield, etc.) that could be affected. And how that would affect the character as they level up.

-SaxyCorp
TheDragoon,Aug 8 2004, 12:19 PM Wrote:I've got to say, this sounds more annoying than fun.&nbsp; It's just additional micro-management that you'd have to take care of.
Never played a Warlock, eh? Having a pet is all about micro-management. You're playing 2 characters, not one. Warlocks have to gather soul shards and buy skills for their pets - Hunters have to feed them.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Aug 9 2004, 06:47 AM Wrote:Never played a Warlock, eh?&nbsp; Having a pet is all about micro-management.&nbsp; You're playing 2 characters, not one.&nbsp; Warlocks have to gather soul shards and buy skills for their pets - Hunters have to feed them.

-Bolty
I would not be surprised if Hunters had to purchase skills for their pets as well. :)
"Beast Taming - Lets the Hunter train his pet with various abilities that he has learned. This opens up a menu where you can check out all of the pet abilities you've collected. Collect more pet abilities by taming different pets. You can then teach them to other pets."

From what I understand is that you collect different skills from various pets you tame and you can then learn those skills to other pets. More work intensive.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Ah - missed that. Thanks
But with warlocks the soul shards are used for summoning the pets while the hunter description makes it just sound like an extra level of maintenance that really doesn't need to be there. Heck, while they're at it, why don't they add durability to the items in the game and make us have to go find ways to repair our items! ;)
-TheDragoon
Interesting, but remember that there are also all of those different beast trainers around the world that seem designed to train a specific type of beast. For example, there's the Strider Trainer in Darkshore or the Wolf Trainer in Goldshire. I'd assume those work like the pet trainers for Warlocks.
-TheDragoon
Looking at the extensive and varied abilities of the Hunter so far, I think "beast upkeep" might be necessary to balance the power of the class. And yes, some players look forward to the care and feeding.
;)