How often does it happen?
Since I've decided that hitting level 99 on USEast SC Ladder was a fruitless and boring endeavour, I've decided to try my hand at something more meaningful for others and impossible for myself.

My ladder season goal? My paladin Intifada is going to get 99 diablo clone kills painted on his shield - at the moment, I'm up to nine. But first, a couple of questions:

How often does the clone pop up? Is 99 times too much to ask?

Is there a consistent hunting method I can use?

How does one "summon" a clone?

Obviously, I can't do this on my own, but if, for whatever reason, you run into a USEast SC Ladder clone you can't kill, give me a holler at any of the accounts listed in my signature, and I'll have him dead in about a minute. It'll be nice if you clear out the area first, but otherwise, dead in a minute.
nitpick: you mean the accounts in your profile.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I still haven't seen him 1 time in either ladder season.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
I'm in awe, nine kills without knowing how to lure him out....wow.

I've only killed him a few times and I know how to bring him out.
There is an IRC network that keeps track of which servers SoJs are being sold on.... it's "less than legit(to put it lightly, ugh)" in what kind of stuff they allow, but it's quite useful in tracking what server to be on at any given moment. I'm looking for a guide that gives the basics of how he spawns and how to find the correct server, I'll edit when I find one.

Edit: Only guides I can find are on websites I have no desire to link to from here. Ugh.

connect to:
irc.dclone.org
channel #useast-dclone or #uswest-dclone
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Short version of dclone hunting:

A dclone will pop up on a server once its been sold between 80 and 120 sojs on that server. You can sell sojs in any game (sc/hc/ladder/non ladder/classic) it does not matter. The clone only spawns in hell mode tho.

You can find what server you are on by:
enter a game, alt - tab to windows, open a command line, type netstat -n
find the line that says :4000, the numbers between the last . and the :4000 is the server number you are on.

example from europe:
TCP 10.0.0.2:2516 213.248.106.222:4000 established

This shows im currently on server 222.

You switch server by creating a new game, the server you enter is more or less random.

There are several irc channels and web pages where there are groups of people selling on one server to get diablo clone out. Most of these are frequented by botters/dupers and other cheaters, unfortantly i do not know of any legit ones.

Seems to me that the dclone is blizzards way of letting the cheaters have somthing to do....what leggit player is going to sell his hard earned soj's to get the dclone? Dclone and 23 (unkown) new runewords, and blizzard is not advocating cheating???

sorry for the ramble.
devzero,Aug 11 2004, 11:27 AM Wrote:Seems to me that the dclone is blizzards way of letting the cheaters have somthing to do....what leggit player is going to sell his hard earned soj's to get the dclone? Dclone and 23 (unkown) new runewords, and blizzard is not advocating cheating???

sorry for the ramble.
no no, the "ramble" is an interesting thought. Your post caused me to go to dictionary.com for this to share...
Quote:Main Entry: nui·sance
Pronunciation: 'nüs-&ns, 'nyüs-
Function: noun
Etymology: Anglo-French nusaunce, from Old French nuire to harm, from Latin nocEre
: something (as an act, object, or practice) that invades or interferes with another's rights or interests (as the use or enjoyment of property) by being offensive, annoying, dangerous, obstructive, or unhealthful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
at·trac·tive nuisance
1 : a thing or condition on one's property that poses a risk to children who may be attracted to it without realizing the risk by virtue of their youth
2 : a doctrine or theory employed in most jurisdictions: a possessor of property may be liable for injury caused to a trespassing or invited child by a condition on the property if he or she failed to use ordinary care in preventing such injury (as by fencing in a pool) and had reason to foresee entry by the child and if the utility of the condition was minor compared to the likelihood of injury <declined to extend the doctrine of attractive nuisance…to moving trains —Honeycutt v. City of Wichita, 796 Pacific Reporter, Second Series 549 (1990)>
NOTE: The doctrine of attractive nuisance originated in an 1873 U.S. Supreme Court case Sioux City & Pacific Railroad Company v. Stout, 84 U.S. 657 (1873), involving a trespassing child injured by a railroad turntable; an early premise was that the attractive nuisance caused the trespass, and so by extension the owner was responsible for the trespass as well. Subsequent modification of the doctrine has focused on the possessor's duty to use care in preventing injury, whether a child is a trespasser or invitee.
Since I completely disagree (out of self-interest as much as opinion on game design) with Blizzard's tease on the "new" runewords being "available" this all raises the interesting question of whether part of their intent was just to give rune dupers something "harmless" to do and whether such action on their part constitutes an attractive nuisance in some sense.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
IMO blizzard created D clone and these new rune words to thin out the overpopularity of duped items. Notice how many less sojs there are now? Let the ppl trying to find these new words waste a ton and i mean a ton of runes. I mean how many runes does it take for someone to give up looking for a rune word.

enough for now. It's late

-NeoD
Last ladder I had two clones out of fortune, i.e. I just was on the right server in the right moment. And I saw SoJ's being sold a couple of times more. This ladder I have seen stones beeing sold two times. Unfortunately while I hadn't reached hell yet. Since I am in hell I haven't seen such a messages anymore. While I really would appreciate to have an Annihilus again (great item), I don't have the SoJ's to sell. Therefore I would be happy to find a way to get on the right server. I play on the Europe realm, however, therefore the IRC-channels posted here so far are useless to me. Therefore, if any of you know an appropriate source of information for the Europe Realm, please let me know ...

Btw, as long as I kill the clone legit I don't care too much, where it came from. The idea it's dupers selling the SoJs isn't nice, but on the other way it's better they get us clones this way than bringing all those dupes onto the reals for trading. Btw, I haven't heard of dupes since the ladder-reset - is there still a way of duping or might it be, that Blizzard managed to stop this?

All the best,
Tim