Are death mauler tentacles area effect?
Just wondering because they seemed to kill skeletons for a skeleton necromancer pretty quickly compared to other characters and other monsters.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
No.

The only reason I can think for them to kill a skeleton army faster than other monsters is because they can often focus their attacks on a single skelly more efficiently than melee monsters.

They tend to come in small packs, and aim their ranged attack at the same target(whomever is closest). Melee monsters on the other hand will spread their damage out between multiple skellys, and give each one plenty of time to regen(the high regen rate is what really keeps skellys alive).

EDIT: Just to mention though, once you have a decent lvl of mastery/raise, those mauler types will not be killing skellys any time soon. Even in NM/hell. They aren't really a problem for skelemancers usually.
I don't think their attacks can be blocked either.
They weren't a problem the first time either, just better than other creatures. It had seemed like they were killing several skeletons at a time, so it was just a "I'm interested in knowing" kind of question.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Little Faith,Aug 14 2004, 09:49 AM Wrote:I don't think their attacks can be blocked either.
Yes they can, at least in my experience they can be.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Yeah, I too have blocked them. Or rather been stuck in nearly impossible to break blocklock on my zealot by groups of them.

-Munk
In a game today it seemed like a mercenary was killed by some death maulers that seemed like they were attacking the skeletons nest to it. Did this that come from graphics, do the four tentacles attack different targets, or was it something else?

They were one of 1.08/1.09's most notoriously lightweight monsters. Remember all those Blood runs back in 1.08 where sorcs with no points in Vit could skip through the Foothills torching everything?

They now do real damage in 1.10.

People are so focussed on the highly dangerous guest monsters that it's often overlooked how much more punch Death Maulers, Frozen Creepers and some of the other Act 5 residents now have

Also if your summoner uses Thorns then this attack, like any hard hitting ranged attack, is going to put you in trouble.

Lastly in the Foothills at least Summoners perform very poorly. The army has difficulty moving freely in the terrain and gets shot up

I play my Summoners by hugging the right edge, getting through the map quickly and by refreshing the army at the Cold Plains as required

The Foothills in Hell is almost as Summoner-unfriendly as the Maggot Lair
Thanks for info. The character is actually in nightmare, and Normal is where the skeletons got killed.

I've noticed how the ranged stygian monsters are a real pain in the butt,but haven't really picked up on the other original act 5 monsters getting better besides the 1.10 extra difficulty. Maybe in hell I'll see this (that's hell difficulty).

Anyway, this summoner is using blessed aim. The death mauler trouble came in doorways and smaller tunnels.

Maulers are a joy after spear cats and quill rats.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek