Story question
Does he do anything else besides go with Diablo, or is he just some random guy?
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
The correct term is "dude," as in "is he just some dude?"

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
I've always wondered that myself, but I think he was supposed to be a squire or something. Also, I once postulated that the "random dude" was supposed to be like your own character....why else would YOU see the cinematics from his point of view? it's very strange, but not quite as strange as the fact that, going through the cinematics, Tyreal's wings grow massively (compare the act2 cinematic with the act5 end cinematic)
UnrealShadow13 Wrote:The Lurker Longe is a very snobbish forum; not just any old b.net lamer can be a member.
Does anyone see the irony in that?
gekko,Aug 16 2004, 05:27 AM Wrote:The correct term is "dude," as in "is he just some dude?"

gekko
Are you alluding to the Seinfeld-episode where Jerry is dating a girl who is sharing an apparment with "some dude"?

G: She had a dude?
J: Yeah, when I went to pick her up, there was this dude.
G: How do you know it was *her* dude?
J: What, you think it could have been just some dude?
G: Sure, dudes in this town are a dime a dozen
J: I reckon
G: Or maybe, she just wanted to go to the Tonys. I'll tell you what; you ask her out again. No tony, just Jerry. That way you know if the dude is her dude or just some dude
J: Dude!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
He didn't listen to Tyreal and break the stone, this is his plot.
TurkeyBeans -why else would YOU see the cinematics from his point of view?
For one thing, it's just that, a cinematic, if we went by the logic that you can only see what's happening in the game from your character's point of view, then there's going to be a large amount of plot left out, not only in this game, but in just about every single rpg ever.

Secondly, unless I'm really off the topic of the conversation, "some dude" is Marius, the guy who's narrating his story of what happened to him since he met the wanderer. Watch the cinematics again all in a row and it makes sense.

Minionman -Does he do anything else besides go with Diablo, or is he just some random guy?
You mean besides give Baal back his soulstone? No, he's just there for comic relief.

edit: quote html code not working right.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
He is a "vehicle" for telling the story. How he ended up having dreams of the wanderer isn't explained, and how Tyrael expected that whelp of a man to actually reach the hellforge, much less wrest the hammer from Hephasto, is beyond me. However, he does provide a convenient means for Blizzard to tell the story, at least in the cinematics, without having the main character present.

As a side note, Deckard Cain refers to Marius in one of his Act 5 gossip dialogs:
Quote:It is my belief that the soulstones are at the center of this conflict. If only that fool Marius had not intervened, Baal would still be imprisoned within Tal Rasha.
Memories of the Big Lebowski come flooding back B)
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
The question is really "does he do anything else besides the stuff in the cinematics?". I wouldn't be asking this if I hadn't seen them a bunch of times would I? Since I wouldn't be interested.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Yes he's in Lord of the Rings (he was younger then though)
Quote:Yes he's in Lord of the Rings (he was younger then though)

His character was? or the voice actor? And how could he be younger LotR came out like 5 years after Diablo II.
Looks like someone forgot the

SARCASM ALERT!

I have a suggestion -- next time you're planning on reading a thread, email the person before they start that thread, so they can put in any neccessary sarcasm alerts ahead of time.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
TurkeyBeans,Aug 16 2004, 06:40 AM Wrote:Also, I once postulated that the "random dude" was supposed to be  like your own character....why else would YOU see the cinematics from his point of view?
You see it from his point of view as he is telling the story to Baal, because he thinks it's Tyreal.
All I meant is he looks very like Gollum :D
unrealshadow13,Aug 18 2004, 12:21 AM Wrote:His character was? or the voice actor? And how could he be younger LotR came out like 5 years after Diablo II.
Ummmm....LotR was written in WW1 and shortly after as a bed time story for JRR Tolkien's kids, WAY before Blizzard had diapers.
They wrote the scripts for LotR during WW1... Wow. So they only made them now because technology could do it, or what?

Edit: What are you talking about?? I googled for LotR credits and stuff and got the names of the writers, and they are all too young to be in WWI.
unrealshadow13,Aug 18 2004, 10:53 AM Wrote:They wrote the scripts for LotR during WW1... Wow. So they only made them now because technology could do it, or what?

Edit: What are you talking about?? I googled for LotR credits and stuff and got the names of the writers, and they are all too young to be in WWI.
Sigh. Can we cut out the fake stupidity? <_<

Munk
Are you sure it is fake?
Sometimes, I swear he is doing in on purpose; that is is fake.

Other times...

I realized it really doesn't matter. Either he's really incapable of anything more than he's shown us; or he's for some reason purposely posting dumb questions over and over (why someone would want to portray themselves as that dumb is simply beyond me).

gekko
Tired of living under a bridge, perhaps. ;)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete